Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

exiting the heliopause.

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by kevan hubbard, Dec 25, 2016.

exiting the heliopause.

Started by kevan hubbard on Dec 25, 2016 at 10:11 AM

4 Replies 829 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

Can any one explain how voyager 1 and 2 are ahead of pioneer 10 and 11 exiting our solar system? I'd guess in the 70s the rocketry would be similar as all 4 where launched fairly close together but the pioneer probes have around a 4 year head start. I've read voyager 1 and 2 had rare planetary alignment to boost them out system?poor pioneers everyone forgets them but the amazing thing is they'll be the third and fourth human made,that we know off!!!!,objects to exit our stars magnetic sheath.sadly neither pioneer seems to be broadcasting or perhaps we're not receiving.I have a feeling the pioneers used a uranium power source but the voyagers more powerful plutonium?new horizons will be object number 5 to exit.

Zigarro likes this.
  2. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

"kevan hubbard, post: 7178, member: 2009"]Can any one explain how voyager 1 and 2 are ahead of pioneer 10 and 11 exiting our solar system?"

Let me preface by admitting I have no expertise in these matters, but perhaps their missions involved different objectives with different tangents? I recall a year back that Rosetta did many navigational and mapping orbits of Comet 67P before dispatching Philae to the surface. When I saw the diagram of the orbits, I was amazed it had fuel enough to accomplish it's mission. Just a thought...

3. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

In fact I think that one of the pioneers is further out than one of the voyagers. Of the probes to exit the solar system it goes as follows,can't remember the probes numbers,furthest from the sun,voyager, pioneer, voyager, pioneer, new horizons.

4. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

That's a good question, born of far more insight than I possess, but I kinda think they had different items on their agenda which may account for their staggered order?

5. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

I seem to have some recall that in some of these long-haul trips to the outer-limits of our star-system, they first sent the craft(s?) on an orbit to 'sling-shot' the spacecraft around the Sun - to boost the velocity.

Perhaps this may hold a clue?

Dave - (Good question!)

Zigarro likes this.