Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Mogey 3" Brass Refractor

Discussion in 'Vintage Telescopes & Equipment' started by Bomber Bob, Oct 3, 2015.

Mogey 3" Brass Refractor

Started by Bomber Bob on Oct 3, 2015 at 2:36 PM

44 Replies 9728 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob Well-Known Member

Final Mod - Attaching the Altitude Rod
    Mogey 3 - Complete (Right Side) S01.jpg

For slow motion control, the rod has an engraved rack, and the brass knob moves it up/down. I had to drill a new hole in the Mogey for the "eye" that the rod's "key" attaches to. The eye, and the two cradle bolts, are threaded through a strip of brass inside the tube that's blackened. All the new hardware came from McMaster-Carr.

2. Bomber Bob

Antique Eyepieces
    Antique Set 8 S03.jpg
    I got a steal of a deal on a set of antique microscope eyepieces on the Goodwill auction site. Center Front is a Triple Alliance (B&L + Zeiss + Saegmuller) telescope EP that came with my Mogey. Center Back is a fantastic Carl Zeiss Jena that came in the GW set. I finally got a chance to observe & evaluate each of these in the Mogey, and the views were very good.

Mak the Night likes this.
  3. Bomber Bob

The MacKenzie mount & tripod is remarkably stable & smooth. Press the bronze spikes in the turf, and it damps vibrations in less than 2 seconds. It's not as heavy as it looks -- easier to tote than my 76mm F15 on a Vixen Polaris & wood tripod. The brass is lacquered, and in overall very good condition. Can't wait to take this rig to public viewings!

4. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

Should be able to get the cassini gap in Saturn's rings with that 3" mogley? Reckon no problem as I've seen the gap with my,modern but one day it will be an unusual antique, 25mm pocket Borg at 20x.if I recall my 20x tento,USSR, binoculars show the gap too when mounted.I suppose lense quality has moved on some, coating, etc,so your mogley is probably the equivalent of a 2 and a 1/2" modern refractor?

5. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

I'm keeping my eyes wide for 'Yard Sale!' signs about town.

Vermont is well-known for being good hunting-grounds for antiques. But most Vermonters' are hip to this and are very shrewd sellers. So what I need is a dummy with a ready supply of old goods - and an never-ending yard-sale. We had one of these not long ago - until the police discovered the people supplying the goods being sold had been stealing them from the neighbor's houses!

Well - it fit the criteria of a 'dummy.' Only too well!

I keep looking! I'd love to find something like that beautiful, old Mogey!

Have fun -

Dave