Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

eta Carina region.

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by kevan hubbard, Jan 17, 2017.

eta Carina region.

Started by kevan hubbard on Jan 17, 2017 at 3:19 AM

5 Replies 1249 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

In picton,south island, New Zealand, and sadly as far down the archipelago as I'll get.amazing ferry trip from Wellington to picton through heavily wooded islands. Found a spot just out of picton,only a 1km walk from my hotel,and studied eta Carina.really is an incredible region of the sky,full of nebulae and the northern skies have nothing to match it.spied Omega centauri, 47 tucana, the lmc and smc plus the tarantula nebula, NGC 2070 embedded in the lmg. Cloud rolled in after that.

Orion25 and Dave In Vermont like this.
  2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I'm lucky that from the tip of South Florida I can see the Eta Carina Nebula and the Wishing Well Cluster. I used to be able to see Omega Centauri over the roof of my home, but light pollution has pretty much ruined the night sky here.

Awesome doesn't seem to adequately describe these magnificent sights.

Ed D

Orion25 likes this.
  3. kevan hubbard

Yes I've done some 'southern stargazing'from southerly northern hemisphere countries, Belize, el Salvador,Bermuda, Mexico and Singapore (the worlds most light polluted country and only just northern being 3 degrees north of the equator and only the bright stars are visible). I'm guessing that even from key west the Magellan clouds and 47 tucana are not visible or so low as to be skimming the horizon? I know stuff like omega centauri, much of Carina, vela, etc,are visible from Florida as I saw them from St Georges, Bermuda, last January. We tend to lump Bermuda in with the west Indies but it's about 30 degrees north and if my memory serves lines up with Charleston, south Carolina.

4. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, 47 Tucana and the Magellanic Clouds are below the horizon for me. A trip to the Southern Hemisphere is on my bucket list. I enjoyed Eta Carina and the Wishing Well with my small 72mm APO from Everglades National Park. Awesome little scope for those objects, and packs up nicely.

Ed D

5. kevan hubbard

A 72 mm is a bit over gunned for me I used a 8x25 monocular and, really just as a test,my Zeiss mini quick 5x10 monocular. The 8x25 worked quite well on the objects I was going for but obviously the 5x10 was much more limited still fair views of the Carina nebula from a pen sized telescope. The tarantula nebula in the lmc must be the only naked eye deep sky object in another galaxy we can see from earth.

6. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Thanks for your fascinating report, Kevan - very good stuff!

Here's a take by the Hubble to wallpaper it, or simply enjoy -

Dave

Tarantula Nebula - by Hubble.jpg

Orion25 likes this.