Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Observing with Small Apertures: 130mm and Below

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by Ray of Light, Jul 26, 2016.

Observing with Small Apertures: 130mm and Below

Started by Ray of Light on Jul 26, 2016 at 5:34 AM

4364 Replies 484748 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

There's only two 1.25" mm Panoptics (19 & 24mm) although they both Barlow well. The 19mm goes for about £240 (around 290 USD) here now and the 24mm for about £300. I must say that I do get a lot of use out of my 19mm. It was the first TeleVue wide angle eyepiece I ever bought. I certainly don't regret it, but they're not cheap.

2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Hmmm...

Maybe TeleVue® is selling them based on weight? Now why wouldn't that surprise me.....?

Dave

3. Mak the Night

Yeah, and they're getting too heavy for the market these days lol. Honestly, some of them seem to have gone up by 100% over here. Baader stuff and EP's are cheaper here than in the US as a whole, I think they are benefiting from the TV price increases. As are Vixen and Pentax. I know a few people who have bought Vixen, Baader and Pentax EP's recently when they would have bought TV's only a short time ago. I don't know what's going on with TV prices over here. Someone's 'extracting the urine', as we say.

I’ve been reading about magnifications and lunar observing. I can regularly (conditions permitting) get 300x, 281x and 260x on the Moon with the Bazooka (130mm Explorer). Over 200x can be achieved well on the Skymax (102mm) and StarMax (90mm) Mak’s.

The Moon’s a bit of an anomaly though, in that a lot of detail can be seen with quite low magnifications (even 8x binoculars), yet it responds to much higher magnifications better than planetary objects as a whole.

In his book ‘Observing the Moon’ Gerald North states that although magnifications are very personal, subjective choices he tends to spend a lot of time viewing with around a 1mm exit pupil.

About 5“ (127mm) seems to be the cut off point for me, and smaller apertures than that seem to often struggle slightly with resolution at exit pupils of about 0.75mm to 0.5mm. This is very much dependent on conditions for me though and I can occasionally even get sharp images at 0.43mm.

With the StarMax I tend to start lunar observations off with a 1.3mm exit pupil. I get 65.7x for about 1° TFOV with the 19mm Panoptic to get a nice overview of the Moon. Then work my way up with shorter focal length Plossls depending on which features I’m looking at. I can also Barlow some of the Plossls for more variation.

I’ve noticed I’ve been spending an inordinate amount of time at magnifications of between 80x and a 100x. Which not only roughly matches the aperture size of the StarMax (90mm) but also gives me around the 1mm exit pupil mark.

I think that for prolonged viewing sessions an approximate 1mm exit pupil may be more conducive of revealing lunar detail on scopes around 100mm and under.

Just a few loony thoughts.

4. Ray of Light

Ray of Light Well-Known Member

More good info but I guess my concern is how will the ST80 fare using my Vixen 4mm (0.8 exit pupil?) at 100x? I have many options but I am pretty sure 100x, if it works out, would be a great lunar magnification.

5. Mak the Night

The ST80 should manage that easily Ray. The Vixen should be superb at 100x. I can get a sharp 171x out of my ST80. 0.8mm is near enough 1mm. In fact the ST80 will give a sharper image than a 90mm Mak. The only problem is the CA and a lot of that can be negated with minus cyan filters. In fact, they can actually help contrast. The reason why I prefer the StarMax for the Moon is that it has a longer focal length (1250mm). I was mainly musing about reflectors above. The rules are a bit different for refractors.

6. Dave In Vermont

On a night of excellent 'seeing,' the ST80 can be coaxed up to about 180X - using the old standard of 50X - 60X per inch rule. This is where a good Barlow will shine, and a poor Barlow will be given to a Cat to play football with.

Dave

Pre-Mod & Old SW ST80:

Old ST80 pre-mods.JPG

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Zigarro likes this.
  7. Mak the Night

I tend to find 50x per inch is about right for highest planetary resolution and 60x per inch for highest lunar resolution. Well, except for Jupiter, which is an oddity in itself. Mars at opposition could probably be included with the 60x per inch as well.

I think Jupiter's combination of a very high albedo and being visually very contrasting contributes to problematical viewing. I find that reflectors below around 13cm/5" can struggle with some surface detail. From what I've seen, the 80mm ST80 shows about the same detail as a 102mm Maksutov.

I've often struggled to see the GRS with anything less than the 130mm Bazooka. Although a 102mm refractor would probably be as good as a 130mm reflector with resolution detail on Jupiter.

Weather's total pants here. Pity, as Petavius is near the terminator.

PETAVIUS.jpg

Oh well ... next time!

Zigarro and Dave In Vermont like this.
  8. Mak the Night

Revised grab'n'go kit for high powered viewing.

Vixen SetGnG.jpg

15mm, 13mm, 10mm, 8mm & 6mm Plossls (all Vixen NPL's except for the 13mm Celestron). These give me a range between 83.3x (1.08mm exit pupil) and 208.3x (0.43mm exit pupil) on the StarMax.

9. Ray of Light

10. Mak the Night

I'm not sure how the Olivon will work in an f/5 scope. Should be good with the Moon though. There will be a little EOFB and ghosting but the image should be ortho' sharp.

I still get subluxing with my right shoulder. I've learned how to click it back in lol.

11. Mak the Night

Just been thinking ... it's a bad habit but I've tried to stop lol. Seriously though, the ST80 is f/5 with a f/l of 400mm. So usually you'd have to use some quality glass with a fast scope. But you might get away with a lot of EP's if you used a Barlow.

When I view the Moon with the ST80 I use a 7mm ortho' or an 8mm TV Plossl. These would normally be fine on their own as they are high quality glass. Of course the 7mm only gives 57x and the 8mm less. So I use them in conjunction with a 3x Barlow, effectively tripling the focal length to 1200mm for f/15.

I wouldn't recommend Barlowing the Olivon/SW's though. They have a Smyth lens in the field position which definitely produces noticeable glaring/ghosting and light
    scatter with the f/6.9 Bazooka. The Celestron X-Cel Barlow well in my experience.​

12. Ray of Light

How good is the Celestron X-Cel LX 2x Barlow (which I have) ? It is much lighter and shorter than my TV 3x, and the ST80 is a bit small and light, which is what I like about it!

13. Mak the Night

In my experience it's a pretty good quality apochromatic Barlow. If it was made in Japan (like the TV's) you'd pay twice as much for it at least. Synta have kept the unit cost of the X-Cel range very competitive. The X-Cel Barlows work very well on the ST80.

14. Ray of Light

That is all great to hear. I'll bet my mount can easily handle the X-Cel Barlow and my X- Cel eyepieces, not sure about the scope though. I do have lighter eyepieces like the Olivon and .now the Expanse. The TV 25mm won't give me much magnification. I just checked the weather here and it will be cloudy or rainy for the next two weeks. I guess that much closer to spring! Still pants there!

15. Mak the Night

I think you'll be OK with the X-Cel Barlow and eyepieces if you keep the diagonal as upright as possible. For most DSO's you won't need more than 30x ~ 50x magnification anyway. I doubt a 25mm EP will be particularly useful on the ST80.

My plan with the ST80 is to use it primarily for DSO's, especially Messier Objects. The 19mm Panoptic will give 21x and be a good low power sweep/finder. I have the 9mm Expanse, which looks promising, and some 12, 13, 15 and 17mm Plossls which I'll use in conjunction with short Barlows to get around 30x ~ 50x.

16. Ray of Light

Yeah, I guess I have the 18mm X-Cel and 20mm Expanse and Olivon eyepieces to use as finders giving me 22 and 20x respectively, then go up from there. Aside from DSO's, once I locate the moon, lol, I have decent quality higher magnification eyepieces to utilize. I also need to finally test my Meade 8-24mm zoom, though it may be more useful on my 102, not sure. Arm and weather pants but I think/hope I'm getting there.

17. Mak the Night

The 18mm X-Cel will give you 60° AFOV as well. Plus it should give 44.4x with a Barlow. I doubt the Expanse will Barlow well but from my limited experience with the 9mm it does seem good for the ST80 as a low to medium power eyepiece. I've been looking at some Meade 4000 Plossls. None of them appear to feature the dreaded undercut and they are supposedly quite usable. Very nicely priced as well. The 26mm would make a nice bino pair. Weather's pants here! Hopefully in only a few weeks we'll be getting out and using this equipment. The Orion Nebula and quite a few Messier Objects should still be nicely visible well into March.

18. Dave In Vermont

Hello Gentlemen (?) -

In that eyepieces are already one of interest to us, I just stumbled over a source for the much venerated Orthoscopic flavor. Ray - you most likely have heard about this company from way back time. Me, too! :p

As for you, Mak - you may have also. This as back in the Dark-Ages all of us scientific-inclined monsters' had so few choices for new toys to match our interests. This before the Public-School System in the Untied Snakes assigned a childrens' "Science Teacher" who so maligned our minds & soul at every opportunity, that even us 'science-kids' began to have a sense of 'HATE' for the science's too! This was one of my reasons for dropping-out of school at the age of 12. I'd say that was the single best thing I ever did.

So this rattled my cage: Edmund Scientific. A true "Blast From the Past!"

I always regretted not have enough money to afford to buy even one 'Orthoscopic Eyepiece' for my 3" F/15 Achromatic Refractor (this taking place in 1972 - '73) - and these were the same lenses in my Edmund 3" that Unitron (pardon my drool...) used in their refractors' too! I didn't know that until very recently: Carton Optical Industries from Japan. I only heard about this when Pat Putaendo asked me to do some research on them. Thank's Pat!

I may be getting my wish after all! Check it out:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.edmundoptics.com/microscopy/eyepieces/orthoscopic-eyepieces/2070/

Edmund Optics Eyepieces®
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Be sure to also read-up on their RKE - line of EP's. What you think these are for real? Maybe a special configuration of Kellner's?

Enjoy!

Dave & Raul

Edmund RKE EP's.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  19. Mak the Night

As you know, I'm a great fan of orthoscopics and I have a small collection. I can see why Plossls eventually became more popular though. Al Nagler had a lot to do with this when TeleVue 'reinvented' the Plossl in the late 70's.

I have 6mm Astro Hutech and 7mm Kokusai Kohki Fujiyama ortho's and I use them for high power lunar viewing at between 257x and 300x.

This is easy enough on a 13cm reflector on an EQ mount. The 6mm only has about a 42° AFOV though. I can deal with the short eye relief, smaller eye lens, 0.43mm exit pupil and the 8' 24" TFOV on a 130mm Newtonian with a manual EQ. However, on a 90mm Maksutov with an alt-az mount the wider TFOV of a Plossl makes life easier as the lunar topography flies past.

A 6mm eyepiece will give 208x on my StarMax. A Plossl will give a 14' 24" TFOV as opposed to an orthoscopic's 12' 02" TFOV. Notwithstanding the Plossl's larger field stop and AFOV. This can make a difference on a small Mak with a manual alt-az.

I'm pretty convinced that the Edmund Scientific, Astro Hutech and Kokusai Kohki Fujiyama orthoscopics all originate from the same Japanese workshop in downtown Tokyo.

I'm not sure about the RKE's.

RKE.jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyepiece

I think the Sky-Watcher giveaways are reversed Kellners.

25mm.jpg

20. Ray of Light

I have a couple of the Meade 4000 series Plossls that I can't use because of the eye relief, but you may find them quite nice for the money. The 8-24x zoom I have is in the Meade 4000 family and is nicely made and has gotten some decent reviews (I know they can be frowned upon). Anyway, just thought I would put in my two cents on the Meade 4000 Super Plossls (as I believe they are still known).