Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Did Santa Bring You New Toys for Christmas?

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by aeajr, Dec 29, 2016.

Did Santa Bring You New Toys for Christmas?

Started by aeajr on Dec 29, 2016 at 8:36 AM

4 Replies 1082 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

Santa brought me some new astronomy toys so I was out getting them tested.

Orion Dual finder mount
    Astronomical Telescopes Red Dot Finder - to complement my 9X50 RACI finder
    Explore Scientific 82 degree 8.8 mm eyepiece - 136X in my Orion XT8i

I also received an Orion Laser collimator that I have not tried out yet.
    And finally a new set of winter golf gloves which work great for astronomy.

Very pleased with the new toys. How about you? New toys to play with?

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to everyone!

2. tripod tipper

tripod tipper Well-Known Member

I got a lump of coal for putting cat nip on my dog:D. Looks like you have a good new set up.

Dennis

3. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Season's Greetings, my friend. I gave myself an early Christmas gift this year with the Meade Series 4000 zoom (thanks for the guidance, Dave). I've been enjoying views of Venus, Mars, Uranus, Neptune, M31, and M42 using the zoom with my Maks. The action is smooth but can get a little stiff in the cold air. Little refocusing is necessary and fringing on bright objects is minimal. It's a very good quality, affordable zoom piece with 6 elements. I recommend it highly. I'm having a nice Christmas season of observing, but with more cloudy nights than clear:p Happy New Year! Reggie

4. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Good quality Zoom's have dropped in price in the last few, and have become the norm. One of the few things that were good about 2016. This seems to be part and parcel of the trend coming out of both GSO and Synta in China. "Keeping up with the Jones's"no doubt.

Arf!

Dave

5. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Oh hey Ed - missed this on my first take, you got an Orion LaserMate Deluxe II, eh? Good! Orion claims they will arrive in collimation themselves (which many other brands do not), and mine did. They also claim it will stay that way. I'm still not planning on dropping it or kicking it - but it has stayed in collimation.

As I actually enjoy the art of laser-collimation, I've tried and tested every laser that comes my way. And that Orion is one I kept. And they're about a middle-cost one which has worked for me very well. The only negative in my book is it's really very bright. So it's not one I'd choose to take-with to a 'star-party.' I have one of the newer & cheaper variable-brightness for this. Which also arrived in collimation.

Woof!

Dave