Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Exoplanets in Stellarium - Newest Information Available

Discussion in 'Astronomy Software, Apps, and Websites' started by Dave In Vermont, Nov 26, 2017.

Exoplanets in Stellarium - Newest Information Available

Started by Dave In Vermont on Nov 26, 2017 at 6:35 PM

9 Replies 3757 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

I just noticed that Stellarium can show exoplanets found within the "Goldilocks-Zone" of stars that
    have been deemed 'habitable' by the 'powers-that-be' - or the SETI-Project. So I have mine set to show
    these particular exoplanets marked in green on the screen. Look on the lower-left on this screenshot
    below the description of K2-18 -

stellarium-796.png

And just by luck while exploring Stellarium, I found the latest possibly habitable-exoplanet just discovered - Ross 128 - which I
    found in 'Stella' a day before it was all over the astro-news feeds I read. So here's Ross 128, as well as
    another nearby one as well. Ross 128 also has the distinction of being quite close to us. Only 11.03 LY's distant from our Earth.

Here's the screenshot -

stellarium-803.png

So Ross 128 is our nearest known neighbor we've found (yet) that might have life on it. Or we could start a colony on. Or, in our inimitable fashion, provoke a war with. So here's a couple of these articles that came in my email on the day after I 'discovered' Ross 128 in Stellarium.

A Potentially Habitable Planet has Been Discovered Just 11 Light-Years Away.pdf

and

Invite Ross 128 Over This Thanksgiving - Sky&Telescope.pdf

I'll say this: When it comes to keeping-up with the latest findings, Stellarium is breaking the 'speed-of-light barrier!' 'Stella' was on top of these emails by at least 24 hours!

I had no visual reference to how exoplanets were distributed, from our perspective, in the sky. Unill I took a look at the Kepler-series. And I thought something must be wrong with my eyes when I found the Keplers' staring at me from the screen -

stellarium-814.png

And if I zoomed in on this structure -

stellarium-811.png

Note the interspersed 'Green-Goldilocks' Planets' within? If there are people like us on one or some of these - Wow!! I wonder if they speculate on the possibility of other Solar-Systems and the possibility of life in the Universe! They're in for a bit of a shock at some point. And it leaves me to speculate if on a world there, they might not be asking similars questions while looking at an indescript G2V class star - and see it, too, has planets in their name for a 'Goldilocks & The Three Bears' zone...

So, folks, I'm always finding out new things to try with my version of Stellarium. Just as the developer's team is always creating new ones. If you haven't yet taken a look at the 'beta' versions of 'Stella' that are posted quite frequently - about once-a-week - you well might enjoy doing so. For instance, a new 'beta' awhile ago added place-names for the topography (features) on the surface of the planets and their Moons. This took place after Alex Wolf - a member here - left a mysterious statement and screenshot on various astronomy-forums around the net. Alex is one of the Developers' team. And I had downloaded the latest 'beta' as I always tend to do. So I had a hunch. And I went to 'Stella' and loaded it. And I clicked on Mars and started to zoom-in. Imagine my surprise when this is what I saw.....

stellarium-777.png

Wow! Just 'WOW!'

If you have any questions on such things - feel free to ask me. Either here, or in a PM. As for looking at the 'beta' versions of Stellarium, caution is needed to avoid not change or throw-out your settings should you decide to download a 'beta' and install it. And do look at the complete Changelog. This docement shows you all the revisions contained in the 'beta' since the last full-edition - 0.16.1 - of Stellarium was posted. You'll be amazed! Here's a link to the latest 'beta' and the current 'Changelog,' too:

https://launchpad.net/stellarium/trunk/0.90.0

The latest version at the time of this writing is 0.90.0.15499. Check back often! And mind which you download if you do - 32win or 64win or the .dmg

Have Fun!

Dave

Orion25 likes this.
  2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

It's pretty obvious what this is Dave.

MaxthonSnap20171127122333.jpg

Anyone can see that it's a Borg cube. :eek:

MaxthonSnap20171127122420.jpg

Orion25 and Dave In Vermont like this.
  3. Dave In Vermont

But what's it trying to spell out?

4. Mak the Night

'Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated'

Reminds me of Google.

5. Dave In Vermont

Well! That makes me want to.....

Or something...:eek: :p

6. Mak the Night

Makes me think ...

7. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

WOW! This is exciting! Stella is getting better all the time! It's great how the team is keeping up with the latest findings and offer such incredible detail. Keep us posted, Dave!

Excelsior to the max!
    Reggie

8. Dave In Vermont

I do believe the news of Stellarium and that BIG YELLOW BLOTCH should be kept quiet - at least here in the presently TERRIFIED UNTIED XENOPHOBIC SNAKES OF A MIGRAINE.

The seemingly ever-expanding voter-base of a certain psychopath could be easily convinced to launch nukes towards the Kepler-Cluster without too much trouble.

Oh dear! What have I done.....?
    Trumpistani Farewell! (PNG).png

9. Mak the Night

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  10. Dave In Vermont

Either this - or the live-version of "The Alien's Came in Business Suits."

I tossed a coin....

People with no ¢'s...