Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Welcome to Galaxy Central!

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, Feb 27, 2018.

Welcome to Galaxy Central!

Started by Orion25 on Feb 27, 2018 at 6:16 PM

360 Replies 50530 Views 4 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Here are some shots of the waxing gibbous moon I took tonight (2018-02-27) using my Meade Series 4000 zoom and my 127mm Mak (single exposures, 1/640 sec, F4.2, ISO 6400): A 008 FIX.jpg A 017 FIX.jpg A 020 FIX.jpg A 027 FIX.jpg A 036 FIX.jpg A 040 FIX.jpg A 044 FIX.jpg This is about as close as we'll get to a full moon for February 2018!

2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Nice takes, Reggie! That Meade Zoom seems like a good gadget! Most of these lower-price 8 - 24mm one's are these days.

I was wondering the other day: I can't recall you you mentioning using filters before. Am I blind? Or don't you play with those? Not suggesting (or not :p). Curious on your thoughts on these critters.

February - 2018. A month without a Full Moon.

D.

Nebula and Orion25 like this.
  3. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Great Moon pictures Reggie.

littlemak.jpg

Despite Siberian snow and icy winds from the Urals I got some lunar observing in with my little Mak lol.

4. Orion25

Thanks,
    Thanks, Dave. You know, I haven't dabbled too deep with filters yet. I've only used a variable polarizing filter and a solar. I've read some of the discussions about the various types of filters out there and I am curious, especially with the big Mars perigee coming up this summer. Any suggestions on some good filters to bring out features on the Great Red One?

5. Orion25

Great
    Thanks, Mak. Great pic of your scope. Is that the 102? I'm really glad I got these pictures now because clouds rolled in later that night and rain is expected for the next few days. Oh, well, at least some of the pollen will be washed out of the air! Achooo!

6. Mak the Night

Too much Siberian snow for pollen here I reckon lol.

littlemak1.jpg

The Orion Mak is the 90mm, the 102mm and 127mm are Sky-Watcher, although they're all Synta of course. The 90mm has a Vixen style dovetail and can be mounted on this tabletop Dob' mount. I even have a heated dew shield for it as well. With my disability it is probably the fastest thing I can set up and all it needs is a garden table. Seen here with a TS Optics reflex sight and a 14mm 60° Bresser ‘Plossl’. This gives me almost a 1mm exit pupil for about 89x. On a good night 125x ~ 180x isn't impossible on the Moon.

littlemak2.jpg

Orion25 likes this.
  7. Dave In Vermont

While it is true I haven't had a chance to take this new Mars Filter from Orion out for a proper shakedown cruise, that can't take place until Mars is already large in the sky. And that might be too late to get your hands on one - should there be a line of people ordering them! But here's what I do know.....

My Sirius Optics 2003 Mars Filter was excellent - even if I only had one long night with it before Mars was occluded by a planet-wide dust-storm. We have clouds & rain - Mars has dust! :p Anywho - I do still have the 2003 Mars Filter, and, now, the Orion. I've looked at them side-by-side for their spectral-transmission - albeit by eye - and they are extremely close to each other. The quality of the Orions' construction is excellent as well. So.....

If I were you, and wanted to avoid disappointment, I'd go ahead and get one of these little beasties. And they likely do some interesting things to other planets too. As my by-now familiar refrain says: 'Experiment!'

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Acc...ece-Filter/rc/2160/pc/-1/c/3/sc/48/p/5599.uts

Orion25 likes this.
  8. Orion25

Thanks for
    Thanks for the advice. I suspect that as the perigee gets closer more and more people are going to order them, much like the solar eclipse boom last year. I've been wanting to fatten up my filter collection; it's like my next frontier now! I'm about as excited about the perigee as I was about the eclipse, maybe a little more because I won't have to travel 200 miles to see it!

9. Dave In Vermont

And I'm jealous of you, too. Mars will be higher-up in the sky down in your neck-of-the-woods! They will allow you to see greater detail on the surface. The one in 2003 was truly a once-in-a-lifetime event: High-up and closest in a very long time. Made it into the mainstream media.

And the idiots crawled from the woodwork, too - telling people that Mars would be as big in the sky as a full Moon! We had to go full into 'debunking-mode.' Yet give out real education from our magic-keyboards!

10. Orion25

It'll be interesting to see how they hype Mars this time around. There'll probably have special Mars glasses for the "ultimate Red Planet Experience"!o_Oo_O We'll get about a 30 degree elevation down South, not great, but acceptable. Low-riding planets for the next few years!

11. Orion25

Just ordered me one of those soon-to-be sold-out Orion Mars filters! Can't wait! I'll be testing it out in the pre-dawn sky!

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  12. Dave In Vermont

That should be quite interesting. I hope you take some images with it - and without - and see what happens on that end!

Do keep us in-the-loop, please!

D.

Orion25 likes this.
  13. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

beautiful pictures, good job @Orion25 I like the one with mare Crisium the 4th one, I would say it's ma favorite mare round and isolated with strong definition.

Orion25 likes this.
  14. Orion25

Thanks, Nebula. The moon has so many beautiful features, I sometimes take it for granted:p

Nebula likes this.
  15. Dave In Vermont

Anyone see the 'Blue Moon' article in EarthSky News the other day? It's about us have another 'Blue Moon' on March 30th. Anywho - I mention as it had some photo's of the Moon using what rather resembles the #38A <edit> Dark Blue Filter I was 'conned' into buying the other week...:p (Just kidding, Nebs).

NOW I see why this filter was strongly suggested! Nice! Maybe that's a good one to try, Reggie? The GSO #38A <edit> is only $13.00 delivered. And it's every bit as good (or better) than Baader, Brandon, etc.

Moon Through Blue-Filter (PNG).png
    EarthSkyNews - (PNG)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  16. Mak the Night

Baader don't do a #39. I don't think anybody does.

IMG_20180302_111832.jpg

If it wasn't for the minus three Celsius snow and thirty kilometre per hour winds emanating from the Russian Steppes I would be able to see the Full Moon later. The Baader Dark Blue 435nm Bandpass is roughly equivalent to a #38A.

According to Baader's marketing department:

435 nm Dark blue bandpass filter. Filter for visual and photographic planetary observations
    Better detection of phase design of Venus
    The violet clearing on Mars can be seen better
    To observe the great Red Spot on Jupiter, enhances the contrast between the belts and zones on Saturn

Personally I prefer a #47 on a bright Full Moon, although I'd recommend an exit pupil of 2.5 ~ 3mm at least.

17. Dave In Vermont

Right you are, Mak! Must'a had a 'brain-fart!' A #38A is the one I got from GSO. And it's very high quality. $13.00.

18. Mak the Night

The 'TS Optics' filters in the picture are rebadged GSO's. The glass is pretty good quality and the filter threads are good. Although paint can flake from the housings. I doubt they are the same build quality as the Baader's, but I've directly compared the GSO 82A with its Lumicon equivalent and I honestly can't see any difference when viewing with it.

Orion25 likes this.
  19. Mak the Night

1845.png

It's snow joke!

Screenshot 2018-03-01 at 21.05.41.png

20. Mak the Night

And now, for no apparent reason, some Specials:

Orion25 likes this.