Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Welcome to Galaxy Central!

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, Feb 27, 2018.

Welcome to Galaxy Central!

Started by Orion25 on Feb 27, 2018 at 6:16 PM

360 Replies 50598 Views 4 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

That's a great picture Reggie, nicely framed as well.

2. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mak. Sometimes it's a challenge to get the shot framed just right, with the scope on one axis and me and the camera on another, lol.

3. Mak the Night

It sounds quite difficult. It looks like you've mastered it though. I have difficulties just sending a jpeg from my phone to my laptop with Bluetooth lol.

Orion25 likes this.
  4. Orion25

From tonight's observing and imaging session, the waxing crescent moon and the Hyades:

ASTRONOMY - MOON - WAXING CRESCENT & HYADES 3-22-18 SM.jpg

the waxing crescent and Aldebaran:

ASTRONOMY - MOON - WAXING CRESCENT & ALDEBARAN 3-22-18 A SM.jpg

and finally, a wide shot of the moon and Aldebaran:

ASTRONOMY - MOON - WAXING CRESCENT & ALDEBARAN 3-22-18 C SM.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  5. Mak the Night

Great moon pictures Reggie. I can see the craters Catherina, Theophilus & Cyrillus near the terminator in the close up. I always like to look at Cathy, Theo and Cyril (lol) when they're well highlighted by terminator shadows. I can get a great amount of detail around 250 ~ 300x. I was all ready to go out lunar viewing the other night, but the clouds put a stop to that. :(

I was all dressed up with nowhere to go, as Secret Affair said.

Orion25 likes this.
  6. Orion25

Thanks, Mak. It was a striking apparition. The moon slowly drifted eastward from Aldebaran as the night wore on. I love the nicknames: Cathy, Theo and Cyril ,LMAO! Isn't that always the way for the clouds to roll in when you're ready to go :mad:. Great song by Secret Affair. I think I remember hearing that one back in the day.

7. Mak the Night

Yeah, I thought I'd get ready as it looked like it might improve, it didn't. I think that when I first tested my 3.2mm StarGuider I saw Cathy, Theo and Cyril at a sharp 281.25x with my Newtonian.

3.2.jpg

I've got a feeling Secret Affair are still going.

8. Orion25

Here is a video I shot of the Moon and Aldebaran last night. I added an original piece, "Throwing Umbra", played on solo guitar synthesizer for the music soundtrack:

9. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Freaky-Creepy by the Light of a Malevolent-Moon! *

I like it!!

Thanks, Reggie!

* - These be to feeling-tones I get from this.

Orion25 likes this.
  10. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Very nice video, and very nice music especially. I am at my 8th listening of the music right now and it's very odd and dark, the kind of things I like.

I see an Alien horror movie scene (from the 70s) just after everyone died kill by mysterious alien, the last survivor escaped into a damaged space pod with no more engine and heat he is drifting away into space.

Then by the porthole (from the exterior) you see the face of the survivor still alive but slowly dying by freezing (with your music playing), The movie ends like that with the pod drifting away into the abyss, then you get the generic, a very heavy ending.

:)) YEAH !! thansk for the music @Orion25 you have a great talent.

Orion25 and Dave In Vermont like this.
  11. Orion25

Thanks, Dave. It does have a creepy vibe doesn't it?

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  12. Orion25

Thanks, Neb. The music came from a meditative state while playing the guitar synth. I was thinking of something dark and foreboding. The music fits the Alien movie perfectly!

13. Dave In Vermont

Oui! It does indeed. At least to that accumulated mass of neurons and synaptic-junctures that rides about on my shoulders acting as a damn warehouse! :p

...time to add some basil & garlic....

Orion25 likes this.
  14. Orion25

Nebula likes this.
  15. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@orion 25 nice video I just watched it on Youtube instead of facebook. I enjoyed it with your music and the nice images too, nice piece of media to look at.

I am tired this morning a bit ans I find it hard to question myself about exoplanets. I think the governments must already know about the extraterrestrial they make us think we will discover life in 25 years only.

:D

Orion25 likes this.
  16. Orion25

Here is a single two-second exposure of the close conjunction of Venus (the brighter object on the left) and Uranus (the fainter, bluish-green object to the right) at ISO 1600. It is a prime focus image taken through my 127mm Maksutov- Cassegrain telescope about an hour after sunset. A striking pair visible in a telescopic view!

ASTRONOMY - VENUS & URANUS CONJUNCTION 3-28-18 SM.jpg

17. Mak the Night

Far out!

Orion25 likes this.
  18. Orion25

Haha, very true! It's funny that when I was looking at the viewfinder, I was expecting Uranus to be closer. There was this pesky "star" to the upper right that was beginning to annoy me as I was searching furiously for Uranus in the field. Then, after several exposures it dawned on me - perhaps, that pesky "star" IS Uranus, just not as close to Venus as I was imagining!:oops::p They looked great through the eyepiece until they sank into the atmospheric mess and disappeared...

19. Dave In Vermont

Another wonderful - and highly ironic - take, Reggie! Venus and almost last to the current map of our Solar-System - Uranus. But somehow perfect-pairing: The second planet, or #2, and the 2nd. to last planet, Uranus, as well!

A very cool portrait the two make - a golden shining Venus, and deeply blue-green Uranus. They seem to my eyes to belong together!

Keep on keeping on!

Orion25 likes this.
  20. Mak the Night

You got to see them, and photo them though, that's what counts. I got a brief look at the Moon yesterday, even up to 217x for a short while. I'd set up by dusk, but there was no chance of seeing Venus with cloud in the west.

Screenshot 2018-03-29 at 10.43.16.png Screenshot 2018-03-29 at 10.44.22.png Screenshot 2018-03-29 at 10.45.19.png

I did get to see Aristarchus, the Harbinger Mountains and the Schroter's Valley area close to the terminator. For a bit anyway lol.

Orion25 likes this.