Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

mystic materialist!

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by kevan hubbard, Apr 10, 2018.

mystic materialist!

Started by kevan hubbard on Apr 10, 2018 at 2:46 PM

26 Replies 3253 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

I've just ordered Alan lightmans 'searching for stars of an island in Maine'.he describes a rather beautiful scene in what he's travelling to a small island in his own private boat,I'd guess a rowing boat?he turns out the boats running lights and stares up at the stars overhead as the boat rocks gently in the sea.the author has a rather profund experience of oneness with the universe. Yet he does not seem to believe in an after life or a greater scheme to things. It seems to be a sort of material positive gnosis,as opposed to the more common negative gnosis which rejects the world as fallen.a few years ago when I was in Bermuda I picked up a book by Alan lightman in Bermuda books in Hamilton and was very impressed by the depth of his thoughts particularly as he describes his connection to some glow worms near his house.

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Very cool find there, Kevan!

I presume you would spell his name 'Alan Lightman' - yes? And the title: "Searching For Stars of an Island in Maine" - is this correct? Sounds like something right up my proverbial 'alley.' I spent a lot of time wandering about Northern Maine and the White Mountains in New Hampshire and Maine. And having some quite remarkable experiences - including a full-blown Kundalini.

A Kundalini is something no one ever forgets. And there's some rather (for lack of better language) magical energy loose in the North Country - where I live today.

Thanks for jarring this loose with your tale!

3. kevan hubbard

Kundalini is a quasi psychic energy held to travel up the spine.it seems to have originated in eastern mysticism and come to the west by way of theosophy in Victorian times?how's this for a wierd coincidence?I was musing with a friend of mine who lives in Baltimore about contacts between humans and possible non human intelligences. I pointed out that these intelligences seem to enjoy masquerading as angels,aliens and spirits of deceased humans.about 3 hours later I started to read a SciFi book and guess what,the story was about a scientist who tried to manipulate a girl by pretending to be the spirit of her recently deceased uncle! What's the random chance of that happening?

4. Dave In Vermont

C.G. Jung referred to such "coincidences" as 'synchronicity.' I commonly register these occuring but my approach is to keep the 'door' open by way of considering these to be common, everyday occurrences. If you don't make a big deal over these, they will become commonplace.

It works. I think it's quite likely that things like telepathy are not something awaiting to develop later on in evolution - as sci-fi movies will show - but rather it was a very ancient method of communcating we discarded as we developed verbal skills amongst each group/village/etc.

I've studied what I've called 'psychonautics' for quite awhile. Fascinating.

5. kevan hubbard

2 possible options synchronous events are just random chance in a finite universe they will happen time to time or....more likely in my view....that some underlying pattern exists however such an idea removes our cherished notion of free will.free will has become central to western philosophical notions of the self but there's no more evidence for it than we don't have free will?indeed how are you to know if you are free or not as it is impossible to determine a free act from a non free one?

6. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Hey Dave, did you write this as well? lol

psychonut.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Nebula likes this.
  7. Dave In Vermont

Bite me!

&

Nyet.

8. Mak the Night

Don't you mean byte me? lol

I haven't read it myself, I don't understand chaos magic. I'm guessing it's like normal magic but chaotic. ROTFL

Nebula likes this.
  9. kevan hubbard

Chaos magick. I think that book dates from about 1985,fairly difficult to read. I tried once! I'm not sure if Mr Carroll is still with us on earth?

10. Mak the Night

Probably abducted by Zeta Reticulans. I think chaos theory was very fashionable then and even contributed to Crichton's novel Jurassic Park, later made into a movie.

Might have to get my yoga mat out later and read some Dion Fortune and Aleister Crowley. There's no chance of any astronomy with this weather. We may have a heatwave next week. I'll have to look into my crystal balls. lol

11. Dave In Vermont

Sounds like a re-make of Aleister Crowley - who was a repressed sex-addict in the Victorian era. Seems you figured that out as well. :eek:

I'll pass, thank you.

Aleister_Crowley_1310.jpg
    Aleister Crowley

12. kevan hubbard

Carroll wrote another called Lieber null. I seem to recall both where printed and published by an outfit in northern England, the sorcerers apprentice, in Leeds. It's nothing like Crowley more of a quasi scientific magick,at least in theory.Dion fortune I put in the category of an occultist who can't throw off Christian guilt. She tried to use her occult powers to stop Hitler in ww2!Israel regardie, born London died studio city,California,, was about the best from that era. I'd say regardie was an animist?

13. Mak the Night

Crowley lived well into the 20th century and I doubt was repressed or a sex addict. I think he was a genuine adept who just talked out of his arse a lot. He was born not that far from where I was born. So was Shakespeare.

14. Mak the Night

I've read virtually all of Fortune's works and I think she was a truly advanced soul, I'm not sure about the Christian guilt as she was a pagan who studied cabbala. Crowley always bragged that he'd known her 'intimately' although I very much doubt she'd have given him the time of day. She stopped Hitler invading anyway.

Well, the RAF had a bit of hand in it as well.

15. Mak the Night

Speaking of Violet May ...

https://archive.org/details/ThroughTheGatesOfDeath

I've scanned the above link with an online scanner (Kaspersky Virus Desk) and it seems OK.

Screenshot from 2018-04-11 21:55:01.png

I particularly recommend this collection of short stories, apparently based on true events.

16. kevan hubbard

That was Crowley's problem he wasn't repressed! Born in leamington spa,Warwickshire, England. I've visited his old house in Scotland at the hamlet of Easter boleskine, it's on the side of loch ness. The house burnt down but from the road it's hard to tell if it's been rebuilt. No monster sightings sadly.

17. Dave In Vermont

How did we get from 'meaningful coincidence' - Jungian sychronicity - to "Magic" belief?

"May Yuri Geller come to your home for dinner - and bend all your cutlery." :eek:

18. Mak the Night

You need to read more Jung Dave. He was more mystic than anything else. Synchronicity is just another word for magic anyway.

I magicked this borked RACI

IMG_20180407_171453.jpg

into this Amici diagonal.

IMG_20180411_093536.jpg

'Magic!' as Selwyn Froggit used to say.

19. kevan hubbard

As long as he bent it back so I could eat with it!!

20. Dave In Vermont

:D :eek: :D!!!