Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

three strikes and your out?

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by squeege3000, Apr 12, 2018.

three strikes and your out?

Started by squeege3000 on Apr 12, 2018 at 8:35 PM

12 Replies 2894 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. squeege3000

squeege3000 Well-Known Member

Over the course of 15 years I've owned 3 Meade Equatorial goto mounts - 2 lxd55's and 1 lxd75. I must say that it has been a frustrating experience to say the least! All three did not perform well at all in the goto mode. They all tracked well, but goto just was disappointing. I have also used a couple of the cheaper meade goto's and they were even more disappointing!
    Now for the good news...I've also owned a number of Celestron mounts, mostly alt-az goto's - one pre nexstar and a bout 4 nexstar + models. I also now own the Celestron AVX equatorial. All of the Celestron mounts performed well, especially in goto mode. So what's the problem with Meade? Or maybe it's me.....

2. Ruud

Ruud Active Member

There was of course a period when lots of Meade mounts suffered from mechanical problems. We don't hear nearly as much about this these days.

For the rest: I think it's bad luck. That happens sometimes. At least you're luckier with the Celestrons. I hope your good fortune lasts.

I count three Meades and six Celestrons in your post and I wonder, why did you get so many?

3. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Well my LXD55's have been kind to me, but I did tweak them a bit by reading-up from end-user's their tips & tricks. Both the LXD55 as well as the LXD75's came out within a year from each other. This was a period when Meade's tech-support were absolutely psychotic! I asked these lunatics a simple tech. question. They told me to ship my LX200 12" back to them - where they promised to leave it out on their Loading-Dock for a date with a 'crusher.'

Then they told me to buy another!

Now this is a learning-moment regards always buy a scope from a reputable shop - like Agena - as the price includes 'aftercare.' In other words: They will be the one's who would have to go through Meade Tech-Support. And they're experts in dealing with them. And which psychiatric-class Anti-Psychotic Tranquilizer works best in their dart-rifle......

THORAZINE.jpg

D.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  4. squeege3000

I buy, refurbish, and sell telescopes locally at our Computer repair shop in downtown Morganton, NC. I have tried dozens of and dozens of scopes, most being dobs and smaller setups but I've sold 8SE, 6SE, 4SE celestrons. I've used the three meade mounts personally for astrophotography, but have also sold them.

5. squeege3000

23592317_1177415875693426_2469551383157880396_o.jpg

Ruud likes this.
  6. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

That's a new one! I like it! Wish we had a similar place around here. There was a small camera venue here with a few telescopes in the window. But the owner showed no knowledge of what he was doing. And they went out-of-business.

When someone asks me which are best - Meade or Celestron - I always ask them if they are prepared to roll-up- their-sleeves and do some work on their scope and they say 'yes' - I'll say 'get the Meade.' If 'no,' I'll suggest the Celestron. Meade scopes are a bit better optically in my view, but the Celestron need less care and still has excellent optics.

When I tell them about the joy of installing a clutch-bearing to a Meade LX-series scope - many peoples' eyes glass over and they run away! :D

Dave

7. Ruud

Ruud Active Member

Thanks Squeege, that explains why so many telescopes pass through your hands. I found your website. You're in a wonderful location right in the centre of town! Next time I'm in Morganton I'll drop by. (That'll be a while because I'm in Europe.)

About the faulty Meades: it might be a selection effect that makes them end up with you. No one wants to part with a Meade that works! Now there's a nice slogan for Meade.

I'd like to ask you: What do you think of the new monitor types? First there were just TN, VA and IPS, but now there are many types. I've come across these:
    1. MVA
    2. A-MVA
    3. A-HVA
    4. AH-IPS
    5. AS-IPS
    6. PLS
    7. IGZO
    I find it difficult to choose! Are there any I should concentrate on?

8. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

This forum is sponsored by Agena, let's not forget that!

9. Ruud

Ruud Active Member

Gosh, Nebula, it's all my fault. I shouldn't have asked the question. I offer my apologies. I hope you can accept them. I love Agena.

10. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

na it's nobody's fault, it's just me not minding my own business.

Ruud likes this.
  11. squeege3000

oops, wrong technology. I repair home computers, and really not up on newest panel tv technologies.

12. squeege3000

Great point on the Meade mounts. I've never purchased a new Goto Mount!

13. squeege3000

a follow up with new data... I've finally found an inexpensive used Meade goto mount that actually works like it's supposed to! DS2130 i think.. 130mm f8 tube on what looks alot like a celestron goto mount head on a standard aluminum tripod. I picked it up from a couple that only used it once. They didn't know how to use it. I think i was stored for years inside. Initially, autostare hand controller wouldn't initialize, then began to workd intermittently, and now works flawlessly. Cobwebs in it's neurociruits?

Dave In Vermont likes this.