Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

class="prefix prefixSilver">Discussion Trophy Life

Discussion in 'AstronomyConnect Feedback and Suggestions' started by squeege3000, Mar 16, 2018.

Trophy Life

Started by squeege3000 on Mar 16, 2018 at 7:59 PM

18 Replies 3330 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. squeege3000

squeege3000 Well-Known Member

how do I start accumulating trophy points. I assume this question would be posted in community?

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

They're awarded based on the number of 'Likes' you recieve. I personally find the whole thing silly, but it's pretty much a standard on forums these day.

Here - have another 'Like.'

Have Fun!

3. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I would prefer forums without reputation.

4. Dave In Vermont

I'll 2nd. that!

5. george

george Developer

Sorry I must have missed this a while back.

The feature come standard with the forum but has not been fully implemented. We plan to implement it with additional features but at this time it is purely base on the original settings which you can view here

https://astronomyconnect.com/forums/help/trophies

Eventual we would like to use it in the future to reward active members.

6. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I still don't know what are the Trophy points today!

But I wish to speak about public reputation, accumulation of likes under the Avatar. It's just an alternative idea but something I believe highly.

I find it pleasant here right now regarding the "likes" situation, because we are not sharing the numbers directly. With no public reputation displayed, people can talk more freely and no competition ambiance is created. This competition ambiance is distorting the natural feel of all discussions with the mindset of always getting the likes. It takes longer to write messages and it's a major discussion killer (for me)

(It's a natural thing for humans to try to be better then the others.)

Then after you get formation of evil clicks giving likes to each others and trying to govern posts and the truth everywhere they go, killing the discussions of people they don't like.

Pride creates a natural imbalance.

I have to admit that's one of the primary reason why I am here on AC, the freedom, the greatest thing.

Mak the Night likes this.
  7. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

A good example you talk about a subject, then you have the 14 580 likes user from 2008 coming in impose his or her opinion (most likely moderator and or administrator has well). He writes a response that is totally an opposed to your opinion, on purpose.

Then you will have 5 leachers giving the old user 5 more likes for that, some call this trolling. I don't know what to call it but it's not helping the casual user just discussing in peace with no bad intents.. just discussing without any goal other then passion.

The dislike button does not exists but instead you get public humiliation by means of giving likes to the opponent. At the end you have a bunch of evil people ruling the forum..

This is not happening here, for me that's so nice.

Mak the Night likes this.
  8. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Like Stargazers Lounge?

You & me both!

Nebula likes this.
  9. Mak the Night

Yes.

Nebula likes this.
  10. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

Interesting, I have never looked at likes that way.
    I usually give a like if I agree with the comment but do not want to leave a comment of my own.
    Over the years I have only found a few people that seem to think that since they have more posts they know more than others, my opinion is not based on counts of any kind only what you actually post.

11. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night

I saw this on many forums it's a generalized issue I would say. Targeted group actions against one person on forums is very common.

@Gabby76
    Well a person on a forum doing astronomy for 10 years and having 9000 posts and 8000 likes, has good ways of writing, is right most of the time, should have more influence then the average Joe with no reputation and starting to tell everyone about their knowledge out of nowhere, without any experiences and or proofs. I am talking more about reputation then the total posts.

The like system is major, it will influence people. All the forums and Facebook would scrap that otherwise saying it's not useful. I think the "Like" system it's a powerful tool for group management, without a dislike option, implying, negativity is forbidden in a way. And a person not following the "meta rules" of "positivity only" will be consumed by the rest of the pack following the rules.

The result of that, to me, is not really natural. (But perhaps better then anarchy)

How to dislike things then? Either you say nothing or you say what you want via proxy which is supporting another person with the same opinion has yours and with enough courage to express it, doing the dirty work for you.

For instance, that's my observation of how a person is isolated or discredited literally (and maybe wrongfully) without a dislike button. To make the person go away or shut up.

Some people manage to never have any problems with others, but it's not the case of everyone.

12. Mak the Night

It can happen between certain forum members, that's true. I've seen it myself.

It's when moderators troll and target people it is really bad.

13. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I saw that often sense 1995 especially on IRC.

14. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

xeCvc21.jpg

15. Dave In Vermont

I was applying pain-killing cream to the back of an elderly guy who was in constant pain and couldn't reach around to his own back to apply the cream the doctor had prescribed him. Typical. Well I studied shiatsu (acu-pressure - acu-puncture without needles), so I was happy to do so.

This young guy happened by and saw me applying this capsain-based cream (I won't go into the way it worked - pm me if you wish to know). The guy was shocked and horrified! "You shouldn't be doing that! What will people think?" I looked at the guy and said:

"If you go through this world worrying about what other people might think, you'll wind-up living under your bed with your knees' knocking and waiting for Mommy to come with the thermometer."

He never brought the issue up again.

16. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Dave okk nice cream story :D

I don't know enough parameters of your story to add some ideas but that frighten little man should think again now.

17. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

what the hell i am still doing in this thread? I am going out for astronomy. :D

18. Dave In Vermont

"Nice Dreams" - perhaps? Which was a 'Cheech & Chong' movie from a decade + ago.

The 'young guy' was a 43 year old African-American neighbor of mine who wasn't allowed to go to school in his Alabama community ( a very common practice) so he never learned to read. I volunteered to tutor him for free, so I actually knew him quite well. Great guy with what he lacked in formal education, he more than made up for in heart, soul, and dreams of helping other people.

He no longer hides under any beds. :cool:

19. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member