Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Celestron Star Pointer Pro Unity?

Discussion in 'All Other Observing Equipment' started by Mak the Night, May 18, 2018.

Celestron Star Pointer Pro Unity?

Started by Mak the Night on May 18, 2018 at 5:52 AM

31 Replies 7503 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Has anyone used one of these? I've used the older style generic red dot/reflex sights but these are a bit new.

MaxthonSnap20180518134714.png

I've ordered one for my modified Sky-Watcher ST80.

twintown (2).jpg

I already have an RACI for it, the reflex will go in the right hand finder shoe. I just couldn't resist pulling the trigger on this Celestron Star Pointer to test it lol.

Watch this space ...

2. PXR-5

PXR-5 Well-Known Member

Let us know how you like it.

Telrads and even the Rigel Quick Finder are kinda too big for small scopes. I have several of those cheapy ones that do serve the purpose.

I'm always looking for something a bit better.

3. Mak the Night

Yeah, I'll write up what I find.

IMG_20180430_183449.jpg

These are good, they have a standard weaver attachment, a dovetail on a leg, and different colour (red/green) LED selection. The reticule can also be changed from a dot to a circle, or a circle and a dot, and finally a cross. I got these from TS Optics in Germany, but I think they are widely sold as gun sights. The LED is a tad bright though so I only use the dot. It gets me in the vicinity of the target and is very useful used in conjunction with an RACI.

thursday nineteen (4).jpg

I have a Rigel on my 102mm Maksutov but a Telrad is way too big. I actually have a Telrad, but I bought it without realising how big it was, so it's still in the box lol.

EZII.jpg

This Orion EZII is OK, but it's getting on a bit and getting weird to accurately set up. I bought the one above three or four years ago. I have a brand new unused one of these somewhere. It came supplied with my 90mm Orion Mak but I never used it on anything. I must have put it somewhere safe and forgotten where it is. ROTFL

4. Dark Site

Dark Site Member

I bought one about a year ago that I use on my SV80. For me it was fairly easy to set up and performs quite well. So far, I really like it.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Mak the Night likes this.
  5. Mak the Night

OK, sounds good. What's the LED brightness like? Some people have claimed it is too bright.

6. Dark Site

Dark Site Member

The on/off knob also rotates to control the brightness. One of the features I really like.

Attached Files:

Nebula likes this.
  7. Mak the Night

Thanks, that's similar to the bog standard reflex sights.

EZII b.jpg

The on/off/brightness intensity is the big knob immediately to the left of the 'EZ Finder II' decal. In the direct centre of the on/off knob there's a tiny Phillips headed screw that can sometimes work loose with use I find.

Nebula and Dark Site like this.
  8. Mak the Night

The box it came in was huge.

Celestron Starpointer (6).jpg

That's because it is bloody big lol!

Celestron Starpointer (1).jpg

It comes supplied with various different legs for the Weaver style bracket mount, but I only needed the Synta dovetail. It assembled easily enough.

Celestron Starpointer (2).jpg

The reticule consists of two concentric circles, not unlike a Rigel or Telrad.

Celestron Starpointer (3).jpg

It is a bit faint in daylight trials, although easier to see than the Rigel reticule, which is so faint in daylight as to be virtually invisible. The Celestron is a bit easier to see in daylight, but even at full brightness I had to aim at dark targets.

Celestron Starpointer (4).jpg

It seems comfortable to sight with and the reticule window, at four centimetres diameter, is quite large.

Celestron Starpointer (5).jpg

I don't know when I'll be able to test it in the night.

Nebula and Dark Site like this.
  9. Dark Site

Dark Site Member

Congrats! I hope you'll like it. I do like the larger screen. One thing that I don't particularly care for is the battery cover. The threads can be a bit sticky. It's Important that you use something round and large enough(I use a thick washer) to fit in the slot well enough to remove the battery cover.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Mak the Night likes this.
  10. Mak the Night

Thanks. Yes, the battery cover is a bit weird, I didn't have any problems with it though.

11. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Which one is you favorite one Mak or the best?

- The Orion EZ-Finder
    - The Celestron star pointer.
    - The TS optics device. (Difficult to use at the zenith you told me previously)
    - The Rigel has installed on your 102mm

Most people seems to like the Telrad the most. I find it's appearance very vulgar but I would try it someday.

12. Mak the Night

They all have their merits and faults. Apart from the Telrad, which has an *optional extra, they are all difficult to use at the Zenith.

The Synta reflex sights, including the EZII do the job, but are plastic and prone to bork after a while. I don't think the plastic gearing is particularly accurate.

The Starpointer seems like a revamped generic Synta reflex on steroids.

reflex3.jpg

The TSRADC is metal and a very sturdy construction. Easier to use in daylight as the red reticule light can be switched to green. It's probably my favourite.

The Rigel is pretty good. A bit plastic, and you have to glue a base onto your OTA. I find the base a bit tricky when attaching the Rigel sometimes. The Rigel suffers from some parallax problems but does the job admirably, with a faint reticule light that can also pulse. It's virtually useless in daylight and not particularly bright in twilight.

*You can get a flip mirror for the Telrad.

telradflip.jpg

Seen above, it enables the Telrad to be used like an RACI.

Dark Site and Nebula like this.
  13. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Ok very interesting and educative Mak, I should convert your last reply in PDF.

And so the winer is the TSRADC! and you can get a flip mirror for the Telrad, what do you know? Could be useful.

Dark Site likes this.
  14. Dark Site

Dark Site Member

Thanks for the comparisons, Mak. Great stuff!

15. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

I have used the Telrad dewshield+ for years and it makes it very handy to using it like a RA finder.
    If the Telrad is to long for a particular telescope they can be cut down in length quite easily, the one I use is 6" long now instead of the original 8.5" in length.

Dark Site likes this.
  16. Mak the Night

I actually have three TSRADC's, so that must tell you something lol. I think they'll outlive the others.

Dark Site and Nebula like this.
  17. Mak the Night

You're welcome.

18. Mak the Night

They definitely need cutting down to size!

19. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

This one is mine, it has 9x of power.

[​IMG]

Dark Site likes this.
  20. Dark Site

Dark Site Member

Where do you put the battery?? :)