Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Welcome to Galaxy Central! Jupiter v2.0

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, May 16, 2018.

Welcome to Galaxy Central! Jupiter v2.0

Started by Orion25 on May 16, 2018 at 1:41 PM

16 Replies 2201 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Here is another short video of Jupiter, this time with my new StarShoot 5MP Solar System Camera a few days after opposition, with the GRS visible! The video includes shots from two separate imaging sessions a couple of days apart with two different scopes (the 180mm and the 127mm Maks). The GRS is in a slightly different position each time. Each session took place shortly after midnight, the air still, transparency and seeing fairly good. I could hear hoot owls in the distance. Otherwise, all was quiet as the world was sleeping. I felt like I had the entire sky to myself. Just me and my toys :) You'll see the live video first followed by the stacked image in Registax 6. Enjoy!

Here are the stacked images:

First, the 180mm Mak image

ASTRONOMY - JUPITER GRS (5MP CAM) REGISTAX 5-11-18 SM.jpg

And the 127mm Mak image

ASTRONOMY - JUPITER GRS (5MP CAM) LIL MAK BARLOW TRACKED REGISTAX 5-12-18 SM.jpg

Reggie:D

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Gabby76 and Nebula like this.
  2. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I like the 180mm Mak image the most. I don't know much about stacking but i prefer the result of the work that came out of the 180mm, great images and video @reggie

3. Orion25

Thanks, Neb. There's really no contest; the 180mm Mak with about 2 inches more aperture than the 127mm definitely has the advantage. I need to get a tracking mount for it, but I just don't want to spend the money. Maybe someday :)

4. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Ah bah you can do nice things without tracking too, your videos. I understand you not wanting to spend yout money, I don't want to spend mine most of the time.

But occasionally we find good deal we can't resist. i guess you don't need the do that with your 180mm's mount.

But I thought from a past image your 180mm was installed on something similar to a EQ5.. ?

5. Orion25

Thanks, Nebula :D The mount for my 180mm is just the standard SkyView Pro EQ without tracking. I bought a tracking device for my 127mm Mak's mount, but I haven't got one yet for the 180mm. It's a bit more expensive, and I think right now I'd rather spend that money on other things. I rather like to see the motion of the objects sometimes :p

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Nebula likes this.
  6. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Ahh yeah it's true, the 180mm must be quite heavy too. It's coming back to me from a previous discussion now, the price of the NEQ6 in order to have something very steady for photography.

7. Orion25

Oh yes, Nebula. The OTA is about 7 kilos and the mount is 11 kilos. Add the counterweights and you have a total of about 23 kilos! I originally bought it for visual and at the time the go-to mounts were just being introduced as an option. The price of the go-to option was too much for me so I got the regular mount. Because of the weight, I have to assemble and disassemble it in pieces. Definitely not grab-and-go! I bought my 127mm Mak first, again with just the regular, non go-to mount, and it became my grab-and-go scope (it traveled with me when I saw the Great American Eclipse last summer). The good thing about using Registax 6 (and I'm sure other stacking programs) is that it can use video of a moving object and choose the best frames to stack, so the image doesn't have to be tracked. Hooray! That's how I got the big image of Jupiter that I posted recently. The video posted is exactly what I used to stack in Registax. But for DSOs, I use my DSLR and my 127mm Mak using tracking. If I do get a drive for the 180mm, it will be to image DSOs with my DSLR. For now, though, I'm ok and keeping my money in my pocket, haha :D

8. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

The good thing about using Registax 6 (and I'm sure other stacking programs) is that it can use video of a moving object and choose the best frames to stack, so the image doesn't have to be tracked. Hooray! That's how I got the big image of Jupiter that I posted recently.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's the very best process explanation I have ever read in 3 years about video and image processing. That must be fun even to process the images to build the final result.

Why can't you use your DSLR for planets?

I know about non portability, my own setup is heavy to move around, the EQ5 must be close to 20lbs but I leave the head on the tripod all the time, it will fit 1 piece inside the car. The weights I think they are more then 20lbs, 28. The tube is around 24lbs, It's ok if I take my time.

This is a picture of the setup inside my car. The bag is an Orion and it's capable of wrapping a 10" solid tube, my 8" is shorter then the bag but I added bubbles inside to fill the gap.

[​IMG]

I am not ready to carry things more then 25lbs for astronomy unless I have an observatory someday and it's easy to store a 12 inches inside... perhaps this one will be my biggest scope.

9. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

The head of the EQ5 is resting on a pillow so it's pretty comfortable like that.

10. Orion25

Nice packing, Neb! Looks like you're ready to go :D I don't often use my DSLR for planets if I want detail because they come out so small on the image, even with barlow, but I'll take shots of Neptune and Uranus to capture their colors like this:
    ASTRONOMY - URANUS (PRIME FOCUS) 10-20-17 SM.jpg
    When Venus is at its big crescent phase, I'll take an image with the DSLR like this one which I took with a Meade Zoom EP attached:
    ASTRONOMY - VENUS (PRIME FOCUS BARLOW ZOOM) 2-26-17 SM.jpg

I'll take a wide-field shot or even prime focus when two planets are in conjunction, like this one of Jupiter and Mars:

ASTRONOMY - JUPITER & MARS (PRIME FOCUS) 1-07-18 A SM.jpg But when I want detail, I'll use the space video camera and stack images from the video.

Attached Files:

Nebula likes this.
  11. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I can't see the color of Uranus with my screen unfortunately (but I have seen it visually previously) I like you work of Venus, it's a lovely phase with enough definition.

When I look at Venus visually, i always get a blue and red color on both opposed sides or the disk. but I am not sure if these are the colors of the planet or an optical aberration. The blue color looks exactly like your picture I wonder if this could be a faint blue hue from the atmosphere.

Orion25 likes this.
  12. Orion25

Thanks, Nebula. I would like to get some detail on the clouds of Venus, and I read about some filters that can help with that. I found an interesting thread about it on CN: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/496644-venus-some-filter-views/
    The blue in the picture could quite possibly be a hint of CA from the barlow. I got a chance to look at the waxing crescent moon last night through my barlow at extreme magnification and noticed a little CA. The mag in that photo is pushed to the extreme. I think that may be what you are seeing, especially if it's both blue and red.

Nebula likes this.
  13. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

My situation must be an optical issue too probably.

Ill go read the CN link now. thanks

14. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Well I agree, the thread was interesting and not too heavy too. Some people talked about the red filters which I tested during my last Venus observation. The #25 can do some good, I did a sketch of Venus while using it. Some shades were visible and that filter was helping.

I have caught another interesting point about stacking the 80a with something else which seems like a reasonable idea. I never stacked anything yet...

I feel it's going to take me a lifetime only to test single filters individually.

Orion25 likes this.
  15. Orion25

I know for me filters will be a long-term project, lol. So many possibilities! Ahhhhhh!:eek::eek::eek:

16. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Once a person can be amused by a 160CAD kit of GSO color filters for many years..,perhaps, that's bigger then being a millionaire. :D

Orion25 likes this.
  17. Orion25

I agree, my friend! :D :D

Nebula likes this.