Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

big binoculars.

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by kevan hubbard, Jul 10, 2018.

big binoculars.

Started by kevan hubbard on Jul 10, 2018 at 8:55 AM

8 Replies 1140 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

I've seen some huge binoculars in Yerevan Armenia. They look exactly like the ones sold in the USA under the trade name 'oberwerk',certainly the all in silver external cover is the same.I'd guess these things must be about 100mm and where rigged to take coins for views of Yerevan. They are on top of a war memorial on a mountain top within Yerevan. They looked very good quality and wasted on that wall!the lenses where blue coated but there where shiny bits along the internal barrels.it looked like cast iron but due to the light weight I'm guessing actually aluminium. I think that they are purged too with nitrogen as I could see no fogging up on the prisms. Strange to see such high quality kit wasted like that.I always thought that the oberwerk brand was made in the PRC but I'm guessing maybe they are Russian. Oberwerk,a German type name,is probably just a marketing name which makes nothing itself. German optics equals quality.......... But is it actually made in Germany? My leica 8x20 binoculars where actually made in Portugal and I wasn't impressed as the purging went in one barrel,I've since sold them.likewise not overly impressed by another German brand minox. I have their unusual poro prism 8x25 monocular, sold as the macroscope.the purging is OK but if it's in focus and you point it at the ground it drops out of focus, suggesting 'play'in however it focuses.I'm not sure where this German device was made but it's unlikely to be Germany!

2. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

Oberwerk is an American company that was formerly known as Garrett.
    They produce their own line of products and have a factory in Kunming which produces all of their optics except for one line that is a joint venture with Kunming Untited Optics.
    They make excellent products for the price they charge.

Mak the Night likes this.
  3. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Kunming United Optics manufacture WO binoviewers.

Gabby76 likes this.
  4. Gabby76

Yes the same as my Stellarvue binoviewers though the discussion was about who makes Oberwerk binoculars. :)

5. kevan hubbard

I think giant binoculars look pretty impressive when they have a finder fitted to them.I might attempt to glue a telrad finder to my Russian tento 20x60s purely for aesthetic reasons! You don't really need a finder at magnifications under 30x I don't think.

6. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

We don't stick rigidly to topic here lol. From what I can gather Kunming manufacture a lot of binoculars and binoviewers that are sold under various brand names.

7. Gabby76

Kunming only makes parts for one line though, Oberwerk builds all their others to their own specifications.

8. kevan hubbard

In years gone by the company who's name was on the item would have made it but now they buy them from a third party brand them and sell them on.look at the Celestron 70mm travel scope, Meade sell a similar one well not similar it's the same! Just different branding.

9. Gabby76

Yes mass production has definitely changed the business.
    This is why we have to pay the premium on high end equipment now.