Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Ordered a new EP from Agena today

Discussion in 'Eyepieces, Barlows, and Filters' started by Pleiades, Jul 30, 2018.

Ordered a new EP from Agena today

Started by Pleiades on Jul 30, 2018 at 3:05 PM

10 Replies 1610 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

I just ordered a Celestron X-Cel 12mm, from Agena today. Not really something, I needed, but rather a treat after a long hard week with a lot of overtime at work. This will give me a magnafication of 100x with Mars on my SkyQuest XT6, so that could be fun.

It'll be fun to see how it compares to the BST 15mm. I've been wanting a nicer 12mm or 9mm. My current 9mm is a GSO Plossl, which is nice for my son's young eyes, but I can't see though the thing. I figure the 12 will have more all around uses for my taste than the 9mm in the long haul. Maybe as a star splitter/ planet gawker.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Dave In Vermont likes this.
  2. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Hello congratulations with the 12mm, I have good notes about the Xcel LX.

If the 12 is has good has my 18mm and 9mm Xcel LX, it should be an excellent eyepiece. Great long eye relief for comfort, large apparent FOV, surprising sharpness for the price has well has good overall correction.

I remember the first time I used mine, it was after using a Celestron Zoom (I think 24mm to 8mm) with has very narrow AFOV at the lower end.. When I installed the 18mm Xcel LX for the first time I was stunned but the space and the quality, I still think 60 degrees is plenty of AFOV space.

Although, with my F5 fast the story with my 25mm Xcel LX came to an end last week... I never really liked it against the 18mm which I find much better.

I am sure you will like the 12mm

======================

To say something else, my 9mm gives me 111x on Mars and I find that power to be really useful and really sharp, not too far away from 100x which should be similar.

3. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

BUT, if you took the Xcel 12.5mm (without the LX after) Dave in vermont could talk about the 5mm Xcel ;)

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  4. Pleiades

It was your notes on the X-Cel that tipped the scale for me. ;)
    That and a light price reduction from Agena, with free shipping. I really like my GSO 20mm, so I don't know that I could justify an 18mm X-Cel, but then who knows, Right?

Nebula likes this.
  5. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Good I am glad you liked what I wrote about these eyepieces. I sold my 25mm Xcel LX last week for a good price, I received a message for it on the same day has the add publication, they have a good reputation.

I understand your point about the 18mm of course (I didn't read your blue line about EPs)

6. Pleiades

I actually have some weird attraction to EP's, that defies logic and good sense. So, I can't truly say I won't buy an 18mm either. LOL

7. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I think we all have the same problem here about replacing eyepieces, I am trapped in an upgrading circle myself... I try to stop but at each new better eyepiece, I want to upgrade another one.

My current target is my 12mm star guider. I want to do it but at the same time there is noI need to replace it with anything.. has I have a 18mm and a 9mm, I could replace it with another 12mm.. but it's giving me 83x of power, a power I use mostly to look at small objects.. so even if the edge is not 100% clean, I don't really look at it with the starguider.

I love these things too!

Pleiades likes this.
  8. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

Pleiades, eyepieces are not a disease until you get into 3 digit count... :D

Nebula and Pleiades like this.
  9. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

But please tell us about the 12mm @Pleiades when you have the chance to try it.

10. Pleiades

I will do. I am sitting here hoping the cloud cover will clear, but I don't think it's going to happen tonight.

11. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

terrible here too the weather it's 25 Celsius with 83% humidity. Horrible.. 35 Celsius combined.. My vacation starts next week with a heat wave, again. :(