Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Mars 2018 vs Mars 2016

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, Aug 7, 2018.

Mars 2018 vs Mars 2016

Started by Orion25 on Aug 7, 2018 at 3:20 PM

10 Replies 1480 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Here is a comparison of Mars from 2018 with that of 2016. The 2016 image was captured using the Orion Electronic Imaging Camera and the 2018 image was captured using the Orion StarShoot 5MP Solar System Camera. The images are not to scale as the cameras capture at slightly different magnifications. The same telescope was used for both: the Orion SkyView Pro 180mm Mak with 2x barlow:

ASTRONOMY - MARS 2016 & 2018 SM.jpg

Quelle différence!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Mak the Night, Nebula and Ed D like this.
  2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Nice comparison images.

Ed D

3. Orion25

Thanks, Ed. The 2016 image was done with an inferior camera, but you can easily see the detail that was readily visible back then (and hopefully in our near future). I just recently read that the heat of the sun is what kicks up these storms and that this year we got a perihelic opposition, with the sun especially close to Mars. Maybe, that's why this storm is so massive.

Mak the Night likes this.
  4. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Thanks for this work @Orion25, I can't wait to see your whole 2018 sequence at the end of the month or perhaps even later? According to Stellarium, Mars will still be visible at 22:00 in October, smaller but still observable.

(Unless I am missing some factors to say otherwise)

Orion25 likes this.
  5. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Just use your new Stellarium to see up to when & where Mars will be at such & such a date, Neb's. You can set it to show you the sky at any date and time.

Even on the date you were born! Or when the RMS Titanic sank!

6. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I think this is the probable reason why the dust storm is so bad this year.

7. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Just use your new Stellarium to see up to when & where Mars will be at such & such a date, Neb's. You can set it to show you the sky at any date and time.

Even on the date you were born! Or when the RMS Titanic sank!

@Dave In Vermont yes yes I discovered the powerful time tool a while ago, I don't use it enough.

@Orion25 have you ever tried a Magenta filter for photography yet?

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  8. Dave In Vermont

Between Perihelion and Opposition as close as this? I guess something had to give. As it sure did in 2003. With gravitational-fields interplaying between Earth and the Red One and proximity to that GIII star, it seem what had to give was the surface-dust and sand on the surface of Mars. Right up into the tenuous atmosphere air of the Red One!

It appear there are 2 Magenta-Filters available. The Brandon - which is top-quality & expensive. And the one coming from the 20-Filter set from Orion - which is made by soaking the glass in a vat of dye and then sprayed with coatings. Read: Cheaply made and I wouldn't touch it with a 12' barge-pole.

You get what you pay for.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  9. Orion25

@Orion25 have you ever tried a Magenta filter for photography yet?[/QUOTE]

Just as an experiment a few months ago I did a comparison with the Orion filter but not lately. Here is the composite I made in May:

ASTRONOMY - MARS FILTER COMPARISON 5-06-18 SM.jpg

I did this just to show how much the filter colored the image. Since it wasn't designed for imaging I didn't think to use it anymore for that purpose. BUT, you've sparked my curiosity now and I think I'll try some images with both the Orion and Celestron filters just to compare the effects. An interesting experiment! And what was that mantra @Dave In Vermont ? EXPERIMENT! EXPERIMENT! EXPERIMENT!

Thanks for the idea, Neb!

10. Orion25

Here is an improved image of the Mars Opposition in 2016 and a better comparison:
    ASTRONOMY - MARS OPPOSITION REGISTAX MASK 5-21-16 SM.jpg

ASTRONOMY - MARS 2016 & 2018 A SM.jpg

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  11. Dave In Vermont

Great work in enhancing thar, Reggie! Those will be flying into the 'Miles'-O'-Files' for teaching and historical referencing works.

Me Like!

Orion25 likes this.