Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

class="prefix prefixSilver">Discussion New eyepiece, more for less

Discussion in 'Eyepieces, Barlows, and Filters' started by Leonard, Feb 9, 2019.

New eyepiece, more for less

Started by Leonard on Feb 9, 2019 at 4:39 PM

31 Replies 4710 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Leonard

Leonard Well-Known Member

2. Leonard

That’s a nice setup.

I don’t have the piler and still use the original stand. I have a few other issues with the Vixon. Those adjustment points can be a problem. And I’m not so crazy bout customer service. But that mount does a top job as us with my little ED v

3. Leonard

Prob my most stable mount is my Meade LXD 75 with the tubular legs. It’s now discontinued, but Meade sold a bunch of them. It will easily support ant scope I own, tracks well, and finds most objects. A really great mount.

4. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Thanks. The OTA was bought as stock for £170, by the time I'd added the new focuser, finder shoes and Baader adapter it was more like 400 quid lol. The TS Optics (GSO) focuser can rotate, this helps a lot when I observe seated. The OTA plus diagonal and eyepiece is under 4 kg so it manages well on the AZ5 (in the picture). I found C/2018 Y1 Iwamoto last night and the ST102 with the very same eyepiece in this picture. I did use an Astronomik UHC-E with it though as it passes some of the Swan bands. I saw it unfiltered with a 31mm Baader Aspheric as well. Oddly, I also caught a setting Mercury earlier with a 90mm Mak. It was a beautiful colour and I could see the phase.

rotate.jpg

p1.jpg

There's no way an f/7 refractor will look at the zenith without the Half-Pillar.

p2.jpg

My Altair Starwave together with a 2" diagonal and eyepiece is pushing 5 kg, so it has to be balanced well on the Porta II. The pillar adds 1.8 kg to the tripod which helps with stability.

p3.jpg

There has been some controversy about the stability of the Porta II with longer OTA's even with much more substantial tripods. My guess is that it was designed for Vixen refractors 90mm and under between f/7 to f/9. Large short OTA's like Mak's and SCT's seem to have no vibration problems. Longer, heavier OTA's may cause dampening problems. I'm not sure what you mean by 'adjustment points'. There are ports for an Allen key to alter clutch tension, which has to be set to a specific scope in my experience. The altitude can loosen and drift over time and periodically needs to be tightened.

5. Mak the Night

Yeah, it's all in the legs lol. Meade seem to make some decent tripods, some of Synta's aren't so good and have pressed aluminium tripod legs.

tQnFtYV.jpg

This Sky-Watcher EQ5 is pretty substantial, although the GOTO mount and tripod for my 9.25" Celestron Evolution SCT are heavier. I only really use the EQ5 for my TS Optics (GSO) 150mm, f/6 Newtonian (in picture). I only need one of the 5 kg counterweights with the 150mm. You can just see it between the OTA rings.

6. Leonard

The adjusts points are those tiny holes at the top of each axis connection. The Vixon tech told me about these points. One controls the level of gear contact. However there is a special tool needed or a really small flat head screw driver.

7. Mak the Night

The only adjustment points I can think of are the clutch tension adjustment points.

0vxfx.jpg

You can see the Allen key access point here for the altitude clutch.

vx1fx.jpg

The azimuth Allen key port can be seen in the above picture below the attachment point for the azimuth slow motion cable. Tightening this slightly can alleviate any backlash.

vx2fx.jpg

The Allen keys are stored here on a magnetic plate under the rubber cover.

https://www.vixenoptics.co.uk/Pages/porta_II_mount.htm

Clever and practical Japanese engineering I thought.

8. Leonard

9. Leonard

See the 2 small holes on both axis. They contain very small screws with an extremely small slot head. The Vixon tech told me I needed a special tool to move the screws. I forget the name of the tool, but I did locate it at Lowe’s. Anyway, one can adjust the screws with a very small flat head screwdriver. I found one to fit the slot in an electricians micro screwdriver set.

Those screws adjust the angle of contact with the screw bolt that responds to the slow mo controls.

My mount is about 9 or 10 years old. Maybe Vixon altered the structure of the mount by removing those adjustment points. BTW, I’m not sure of the correct name of those points. I’m just guising.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  10. Mak the Night

Oh right thanks. I thought they were just part of the construction. I haven't touched mine, I'm a great believer in not fixing anything that works lol.

11. Leonard

I get it. I wouldn’t have know bout them, but the Vixon tech told me.

12. Mak the Night

Yeah, I'm not going to shag with them unless I have to lol.