Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

All Set for Jupiter

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Mak the Night, Jun 6, 2019.

All Set for Jupiter

Started by Mak the Night on Jun 6, 2019 at 10:37 AM

6 Replies 1375 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Admittedly I haven't polar aligned this yet.

1.jpg

Later tonight if the weather holds.

2.jpg

Not entirely without problems, now sorted.

3.jpg

It'll be cloudy on the opposition no doubt.

4.jpg

Orion25 likes this.
  2. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Lookin' good, Mak. Clouds are expected here after a long dry, hot stretch. We really need the rain, though (but, I really NEED to see the opposition, lol).

Mak the Night likes this.
  3. Mak the Night

Thanks Reggie. Yeah, you have to have priorities. It can rain anytime but oppositions are only once a year lol. I actually got to see Jupiter briefly and even saw the GRS. The clouds soon came though.

I had to wait until I could see Polaris to align the EQ5. In fact, bizarrely, it was the only star I could see for a while.

gEXKJBs.jpg

This gizmo seriously takes the strain out of alignment. Earlier I had a weird problem with the EQ5 RA clutch. When the RA was locked the locking lever was making contact with the slow motion knob when the OTA was at a certain declination. I just haven't encountered this before. It was like it had shifted in some way. I fixed it by unscrewing the lever itself and taking it off. I then discovered that it can apparently be rotated into a different position and screwed back on. The lever clears the slo mo knob again now when fully tightened.

slomo.jpg

It's a 'Sky-Watcher' EQ5, which as far as I know is identical to its Celestron equivalent. Probably manufactured by Synta. Honestly, I thought setting the EQ5 up this year was going to be straightforward ROTFL!

It's raining now and the EQ5 is under its tarpaulin.

Bloody typical lol.

Orion25 likes this.
  4. Mak the Night

Well, I got to see Jupiter a day before opposition. Humidity wasn't good and best magnification was about 130x. I saw the GRS though lol.

a75e4df6-0112-49c8-9ad9-6db7aab9a287.jpeg

This is a screenshot from SN7.

Orion25 likes this.
  5. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Good show, Mak. I was about to say that you leaped into astro-imaging but I see that it was a screen shot, lol. Still dealing with cloud here, but there is always hope. I don't think I will try to image Jupiter this year. I'm a little burned out on imaging planets right now; besides, they're so low on the horizon. I am proud of my image from last year though:

ASTRONOMY - JUPITER GRS (5MP CAM) REGISTAX 5-12-18 SM.jpg

This will last me for a little while, lol!

Mmac54 and Mak the Night like this.
  6. Mak the Night

I can definitely see the GRS on that Reggie!

7. Mak the Night

I had a much better view of Jupiter Sunday night/Monday morning. The conditions were much better and I got 180x with a 5mm Vixen SLV. Jupiter was so bright I needed to stack Baader Neodymium and Baader Single Polariser filters to stop the glare. I'm a happier bunny now.

Orion25 likes this.