Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Stellarium 0.19.0 (Linux)

Discussion in 'Astronomy Software, Apps, and Websites' started by Mak the Night, May 3, 2019.

Stellarium 0.19.0 (Linux)

Started by Mak the Night on May 3, 2019 at 3:42 AM

25 Replies 5273 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I've just downloaded the snap package of Stellarium 0.19.0 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

8lhhUCm.jpg

I've been running Stellarium for over ten years, although I stopped running it on Windows for a long time. I only run Android, Chrome OS, Ubuntu and macOS now.

stellmoon.jpg

0.19.0 seems OK although it has frozen the computer once and I can't permanently change background landscapes.

meteor.jpg

Neither can I convince it not to show meteor showers when opened. Although I can toggle them on/off. Overall, it seems to be OK.

Does anyone else run it on Linux?

Orion25 likes this.
  2. Mak the Night

OK, I've discovered how to change the background. :)

garching.jpg

3. Mak the Night

Well, it’s been a couple of days since I switched the bog-standard repo Stellarium 0.14.3-1 for the 0.19.0 snap. I was initially reluctant to update 0.14.3 with the Terminal as it was working well and I think that Stellarium has suffered for a bit from feature creep in many recent releases. If I recall correctly the most infamous being the Stellarium 0.12.0 great rendering engine upbork that seriously didn’t play well with the Windows BIOS clock. Not that the Windows BIOS clock ever had any accuracy to begin with of course, but it would push the system clock a minute forward every time Stellarium was launched. Eventually I uninstalled Stellarium from my Win 7 desktop and replaced it with SN7 and CdC.

6xMsdjl.jpg

Fortunately I now live in a liberated and completely Windows free environment (hurrah!). UNIX clocks work properly and Ubuntu is no exception.

emXim0U.jpg

Stellarium 0.19.0 has a few added features over 0.14.3 although it is still basically the same Stellarium I used ten years ago. I’ve not had much experience with snap packages and I discovered that the VLC snap was a little bit buggy in that its icon would often mysteriously disappear from the launcher and there were some problems in playing DVD’s. The Stellarium snap package seems a little more stable so far. Admittedly it did freeze once and I had to reboot the computer, but that isn’t totally unusual with Stellarium on Linux in my experience.

XQz0gXi.jpg

I’ve always liked Stellarium and the fact that it’s freeware only endears it more to me. I think this snap package could work out.

5jpThNw.jpg

4. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reports, Mak. I'm still running version 18.1 happily on my Windows 10 laptop and haven't ventured any further. Have they added the Cherokee culture to the skylore section? I contacted Tribal Council but haven't heard back from them. I love that part of Stellarium, seeing the sky how other cultures see or have seen it.

BTW, do you ever peek over at SGL just to see what's going on? Lately, there has been quite a lively debate about whether NV astronomy should be included in the observing section or if should be in the newly added EEVA (Electronically-Enhanced Visual Astronomy) section which includes EAA, videoastronomy, and NV. Apparently, some in the observing section felt that NV wasn't pure observing and should not be in said section. The NVers believe that what they do IS observing, just with an advanced, light-gathering eyepiece, no wires or additional screens. It's an interesting discussion: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/332944-whats-eeva/

Regards,
    Reggie

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  5. Mak the Night

You're welcome Reggie. Stellarium was one of my favourite programs of all time when I first downloaded it. I did run a Portable Apps version in a directory on Win 7 after the great 0.12.0 borkfest. No Cherokee folklore yet as far as I can see. There are other little bugs. When using Ctrl + G (on Windows & Linux, Command + G on macOS) to go to a particular planet the 'Use associated planet and position' automated background change function worked once and then didn't work again.

xPxAF4f.jpg
    If you Ctrl + G then change the background manually it the shows a mirror reversed image for some reason.

HTNFuN0.jpg
    This then portrays the sun setting in the east on the Martian landscape. I'm pretty sure the sun rises in the east on Mars. I don't know if this bug is just peculiar to the snap package or not.

zj4mfNG.jpg
    If the 'Use associated planet and position' box is unchecked again and you change the background manually it goes back to normal. The more realistic impression of the Martian moons are good though.

I've heard of EEVA although I'm a bit ambivalent about it. Ostensibly it seems like a good idea but I'm really only a visual astronomer. I can see the attraction in viewing realtime enhanced images of galaxies and the like, although it seems like it's more technology to take out during a session that can potentially bork. There's very little point in peeking at SGL and there are much better and less argumentative astronomy forums. I certainly don't miss the place.

It's been cloudy here for days. I doubt I'll get out for a fortnight at this rate! :(

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  6. Orion25

I hope it clears for you, soon, Mak. ;) I've been dodging storms as we're gearing up for those summer time rain patterns down here. I'm a bit cautious about downloading any more Stellarium updates at this point and may just enjoy what I have for a while. As for my thoughts about EEVA, I have two modes: when I'm on an imaging kick, I pull out all the kit necessary to get the images; when I want to observe, the only kit I use besides the scope are my lenses/filters and maybe a tracking drive if I'm doing a study. I'm fine with manually controlling the scope when I observe, and rather enjoy not worrying about lots of electronics to tinker with as well. I can see videoastronomy as being great for outreach. I've never really tried NV; I might find it a neat thing to do sometimes, but again, more electronics to deal with. I like the idea of those photons hitting my eyes more or less directly when I'm in observing mode.

7. Mak the Night

Yeah, I hope it clears for me soon too lol. Last year we had the 'Beast from the East' but I still got more sessions in April (slightly). Last May around this time I even got to see M57 with an ST80 as the Summer Triangle was rising in the east. Transparency wasn't great though IIRC. We've had a couple of storms coming in off the Atlantic but by the time they reach me they have dissipated somewhat. Ireland and west Wales seem to get the brunt of it. I'm more worried about the wind from the Urals lol. I think the cloudy sky soup is going to be here for a while. In fact it's a bit cold for May being only about 11º C. Apparently, according to the BBC, it's going to get a lot warmer.

Dave used to take the piss a bit that I used an old version of Stellarium (0.14.3), but it worked fine. I often considered updating it with the Terminal, but that's often fraught with complications. Eventually curiosity got the better of me and I tried the snap package in the Ubuntu repo. Snaps are a bit new to me as I ran Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (14.04 LTS) almost right until its end of life and there were no snap packages in the 14.04 repo. Snaps are more self contained and include their own libraries or something. It's all a bit too anorak for me lol.

Talking about simplicity in observing, usually I only take two eyepieces out with the ST102.

two.jpg

Admittedly one of them is a zoom ....

Orion25 likes this.
  8. Orion25

Nice pieces of kit! :D

9. Mak the Night

Thanks. Although I'm more likely to take the 36mm Aspheric out with the zoom.

Ytp9c9M.jpg
    I've been going through a bit of a zoom phase. The HyperFlex got cut from the team and had to be returned twice (visible debris). ;):D

10. alexwolf

alexwolf Active Member

Wait! Are you have Cherokee starlore or info about this starlore?

11. alexwolf

alexwolf Active Member

I've check it right now and it works as expected. I think here is some misunderstanding - the option "Use associated planet and position" in Landscapes dialog should use location setting from landscape ini files when you changes the landscape. If you want to see martial landscape after flying to the Mars, then you need enable option "Auto select landscapes" in the Tools dialog.

12. Mak the Night

I think Reggie's up on Cherokee starlore.

13. Mak the Night

The 'auto select landscapes' worked once then stopped.

14. Orion25

Hi, Alex. I tried contacting the Cherokee tribal council about allowing Cherokee skylore to be included in stellarium, but I haven't heard back yet. The only Cherokee constellation I'm aware of is the Seven Boys representing the Pleiades. The boys refused to come for dinner when they were called and chose to play all day. When they did finally come home, their mothers gave them rocks for dinner. So, in defiance the boys danced in a ceremonial circle until they rose into the sky. One of the mothers was able to pull her son down, but he fell into the Earth and grew into a tall pine. The other six continued their journey into the sky and became the constellation they called The Seven Boys.

I'm trying to learn more about Cherokee skylore as it is part of my heritage. You may want to try to contact the council, either in Cherokee, N.C. or in Oklahoma.

15. alexwolf

alexwolf Active Member

It's strange, because it works without any problem here (I'm on linux)

16. Mak the Night

From what I can gather it's an old bug. I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

17. alexwolf

alexwolf Active Member

Oh! It's possible...

18. Mak the Night

There are some bugs which just can't be fixed lol.

19. alexwolf

alexwolf Active Member

Stop! You are using version 0.19.0 (snap) and this version doesn't have those bug.

20. Mak the Night

Mine does.