Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Sirius B and the Dogon

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Orion25, Dec 8, 2019.

Sirius B and the Dogon

Started by Orion25 on Dec 8, 2019 at 7:28 AM

10 Replies 2043 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

You may be have heard about the relationship between the Dogon people of Mali and SIrius B. There have been accounts about the Dogon being given knowledge of this elusive star by either supernatural beings or ancient aliens, and that they have been in communication with these beings ever since. In Robert K. G. Temple's book,"The Sirius Mystery", the author discusses the controversial work of ethnographers Marcel Griaule and Germaine Dieterlen who claimed that the Dogon have had ongoing contact with aliens, the same beings who supposedly originated the Pharaoh system of Egypt, Greek mythology, the Epic of Gilgamesh, and more ancient knowledge. Israeli astrophysicist Noah Brosch contested that the Dogon could have obtained knowledge of Sirius B from ethnographers or from other European contact. Astronomers Carl Sagan and Ian Ridpath stated that "cultural contamination" was likely. Journalist James Oberg suggested that the Dogon could have traveled abroad and gained the knowledge elsewhere. Walter Van Beek claimed that the Dogon did not consider Sirius to be a double star and that astronomy had no particular cultural importance to them. All of this notwithstanding, the Dogon have a complex cultural tradition from a Western perspective, and it seems that the mysterious relationship between the Malian tribe and Sirius B continues...

ASTRONOMY - SIRIUS A & B CROP 12-06-19.jpg

2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Didn't Carl Sagan send signals from a radio telescope to Sirius once?

I read that SETI had tried this once. I may have imagined it though lol. I remember buying Ridpath's 'Signs of Life' when I was still at school. I think I've still got it somewhere.

Orion25 likes this.
  3. Orion25

I remember reading about Carl Sagan's involvement with the Arecibo message sent to M13 in 1974. We're still waiting to hear back, lol!

4. Mak the Night

There could be an explanation for the lack of a response.

"The cluster will move through space during the transit time; opinions differ as to whether or not the cluster will be in a position to receive the message by the time it arrives." ~ Wikipedia

Either that or everyone living in the Hercules Cluster were out at the time.

Orion25 likes this.
  5. Orion25

Haha, or maybe the Herculeans saw the message and said, "Simpletons! Let's make them sweat", lol.

6. Mak the Night

Or they saw the Morecambe & Wise Xmas specials and decided to hide.

Orion25 likes this.
  7. Orion25

Oh my! What is going on with that dude's knickers? I guess the lady got him going ;) I was on the floor laughing!

8. Mak the Night

Eric and Ernie were a British institution back in the day. The lady was equally famous on British TV. Jill Gascoine was Det. Insp. Maggie Forbes in 'The Gentle Touch', a police procedural from the 80's.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0309062/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

There was also a spin-off to The Gentle Touch called 'C.A.T.S. Eyes' featuring Gascoine playing the same character but as a private detective.

If anyone needed firing at the Hercules Cluster, it was Eric and Ernie!

Orion25 likes this.
  9. Mak the Night

Of course, the funniest British comedian ever was Freddie Starr.

Orion25 likes this.
  10. Orion25

OMG! The Mick Jagger cracked me up but the "speeding up" clip had me rolling! He did that so well, haha!

11. Mak the Night

He was a genius.