Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Welcome To Stellarium!

Discussion in 'Astronomy Software, Apps, and Websites' started by Dave In Vermont, Aug 6, 2016.

Welcome To Stellarium!

Started by Dave In Vermont on Aug 6, 2016 at 12:55 AM

102 Replies 74106 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

What on Earth is Stellarium - you may be thinking. Well, Stellarium really isn't about Earth - it's about what's up and way out there!

Many times someone will become interested in astronomy, and come into a forum such as this one. And they will ask if anyone can tell them how to learn about finding their way about in the sky at night. And one suggestion is a 'Planetarium-Program.' What's that? It's maps of the sky-at-night, from your location, to show you what is out there for you to see if you wish.

A good planetarium-program can cost alot of money. And that can often be troublesome to many people for many reasons: "I got a telescope for my birthday. What should I..." or "I used to love astronomy when I was younger. Won't this cost too much? Can I re-sell it?" and a string of others. If this is happening for you - I have a very nice surprise for you. Please read on...

A good and detailed computerized mapping of the nighttime-sky can often cost 100's of $$$. Stellarium - which most agree is among the very best of these - is completely free. Yes - FREE. No strings attached. Many folks have remarked it's the greatest bargain going in amateur astronomy. And once you download it and install it, you can program it (instructions are included - it's simple) to show you anything up there you wish, Stars, Galaxies, Our Solar-System, Nebulae, Artificial-Satellites, Etc. It's up to you how advanced you wish it to be, or as simple. It contains everything you want - just push a few keys and it's there - or gone. It is truly up to you what it has to show you on the screen, all tailor-made for your location, date, and time. Anywhere on Earth - and even from other planets. Top that! It's wild!

So you've been verbally introduced, so I shall cut to the chase: These are 2 screenshots of my copy, one full field when looking South:

stellarium-149.png

And here's another closing in on the meteor-shower I've noted:

stellarium-151.png
    Onscreen, these will be full-size.

One thing you should know - my interests are rather advanced and varied. So when you first start up your copy, it will be much simpler than the above 2 screenshots. So here the link to download your copy from:

http://www.stellarium.org/

As the developers are adding & tweaking this ongoing project, some of the newer directions are to be found in Wiki. A full copy of the directions from the date this version was released (0.15.0) is included with the download. But here's the Wiki-link:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ste...1/stellarium_user_guide-0.15.0-1.pdf/download

So if you have any questions, problems, bugs - you can toss them here, or in the main Stellarium site you'll find with the 1st. link - where you downloaded from.

Enjoy you voyage!

Dave In Vermont

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
    Nebula likes this.
  2. alexwolf

alexwolf Active Member

Nebula and Dave In Vermont like this.
  3. Dave In Vermont

Thank you for the clarification, Alex (one of the developers) - I'll ask George about an <edit> as after a day the <edit> vanishes.

All the Best -

Dave

4. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

Wonderful Tool. I use it almost every day.

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  5. bventrudo

bventrudo Staff

I use this regularly also. It has a very nice rendering of the night sky.

I have a question about Stellarium-- Does anyone know if there is a way to change the color of the sky? In many cases, the background sky is too dark to post images to the web. I would like to lighten the background to, for example, a moderately-dark blue. Is this possible?

-Brian

6. alexwolf

alexwolf Active Member

No, it's not possible. But you can invert colors on screenshots.

7. Dave In Vermont

Hi Brian -

Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you! But I've found a possible work-around for changing the background color for Stellarium - or anything - and must ask: Have you tried the software-programs that people use to keep their computer-screens from ruining night-vision out-in-the-field? Looking around - with a Google assist - will help you locate some of these. I use BackyardRED mostly these days. But many others are out there, including ones that let you use blue instead. Mozilla Firefox has a add-on app. called Color Transform 6.0 that will do this - but only if you use Firefox.

I have literally 100's of freeware-programs for all kinds of things. Please feel free to send me a PM if you're looking for any specific catagories of programs. It's why I keep a file full of these.

Hope this helps -

Dave

8. klaatu2u

klaatu2u Member

Been using and recommending this for a long time! Great work and IMO a game changer in the hobby. Yes I also have a few other platforms but Stellarium (especially with additional data downloads) is the first and only recommendation I ever make to folks new to the hobby or new to using a computer in the hobby (an ever shrinking population) folks are often pretty astonished. I have not actually used it to control my scopes but it is something I may try this year. I've come back to visual only from a few years of imaging and so can play with that it this autumn and winter.

9. alexwolf

alexwolf Active Member

Dear Stellarium users,

in last binary snapshot (v0.90.0.8774 - https://launchpad.net/stellarium/trunk/0.90.0) we introduced finally support of time zones dependent by locations. We really want test this feature - please help us.

Thank you!

10. alexwolf

alexwolf Active Member

Please check new version - 0.90.0.8917...

11. alexwolf

alexwolf Active Member

12. alexwolf

alexwolf Active Member

Stellarium 0.15.1 has been released today!

Version 0.15.1 introduces a few new exciting features.
    - The Digital Sky Survey (DSS) can be shown (requires online connection).
    - AstroCalc is now available from the main menu and gives interesting new computational insight.
    - Stellarium can act as Spout sender (important for multimedia environments; Windows only).
    In addition, a lot of bugs have been fixed.
    - wait() and waitFor() in the Scripting Engine no longer inhibits performance of moves.
    - DE430/431 DeltaT may be OK now. We still want to test a bit more, though.
    - ArchaeoLines also offers two arbitrary declination lines.
    - Added support of time zones dependent by location.
    - Added new skyculture: Sardinian.
    - Added updates and improvements in catalogs.
    - Added improvements in the GUI.
    - Added cross identification data for stars from Bright Star Catalogue, 5th Revised Ed. (Hoffleit+, 1991)

A huge thanks to our community whose contributions help to make Stellarium better!

Full list of changes:
    - Added code which allows to display full-sky multi-resolution remote images projected using the TOAST format
    - Added new option to Oculars plugin: enabling automatic install the type of mount from the telescope settings for saving horizontal orientation of CCD frame
    - Added new option stars/flag_forced_twinkle=(false|true) for planetariums to enable a twinkling of stars without atmosphere (LP: #1616007)
    - Added calculations of conjunction between major planets and deep-sky objects (AstroCalc)
    - Added calculations of occultations between major planets and DSO/SSO (AstroCalc)
    - Added option to toggle visibility of designations of exoplanets (esp. for exoplanetary systems)
    - Added support of time zones dependent by location (LP: #505096, #1492941, #1431926, #1106753, #1099547, #1092629, #898710, #510480)
    - Added option in GUI to edit colours of the markings
    - Added a special case for educational purpose to drawing orbits for the Solar System Observer
    - Added the new config option in the sky cultures for management of boundaries of constellations
    - Added support synonyms of star names (2nd edition of the sky cultures)
    - Added support reference data for star names (2nd edition of the sky cultures)
    - Added support synonyms of DSO names (2nd edition of the sky cultures)
    - Added support native names of DSO (2nd edition of the sky cultures)
    - Added support reference data for native DSO names (2nd edition of the sky cultures)
    - Added support Spout under Windows (Stellarium is Spout Sender now)
    - Added a few trojans and quasi-satellites in ssystem.ini file
    - Added a virtual planet 'Earth Observer' for educational purposes (illustration for the Moon phases)
    - Added orbit lines for some asteroids and comets
    - Added config option to switch between styles of color of orbits (LP: #1586812)
    - Added support of separate colors for orbits (LP: #1586812)
    - Added function and shortcut for quick reversing direction of time
    - Added custom objects to avoid of getting of empty space for Search Tool (SIMBAD mode) and to adding custom markers on the sky (LP: #958218, #1485349)
    - Added tool to management of visibility for grids/lines in Oculars plugin
    - Added the hiding of supernova remnants before their birth (LP: #1623177)
    - Added markers for various poles and zenith/nadir (LP: #1629501, #1366643, #1639010)
    - Added markers for equinoxes
    - Added supergalactic coordinate system
    - Added code for management of SkyPoints in Oculars plugin
    - Added notes to the Help window
    - Added commands and shortcuts for quick move to celestial poles
    - Added textures for deep-sky objects
    - Added Millions of light years distance to infostring for galaxies (LP: #1637809)
    - Added 2 custom declination lines to ArchaeoLines plugin
    - Added dialog with options to adjust of colors of markers of deep-sky objects
    - Added new options to infobox
    - Added calculating and displaying the Moon phases
    - Added allow for proper stopping of time dragging (LP: #1640574)
    - Added time scrolling
    - Added Scottish Gaelic (gd) translations for landscapes and sceneries.
    - Added usage the Qt 5 JSON parser instead of the hand-made one we used so far
    - Added synonyms for DSO
    - Added names consistency for DSO
    - Added support operational statuses for few classes of artificial satellites
    - Added special zoom level for Telrad to avoid undefined behaviour of zooming (LP: #1643427)
    - Added new icons for Bookmarks and AstroCalc tools
    - Added missing Bayer designation of 4 Aurigae (LP: #1645087)
    - Added calculations of conjunctions/occultations between planets and bright stars (AstroCalc tool)
    - Added 'Altitude vs Time' feature for AstroCalc tool
    - Added location identification which adds canonical IAU 3-letter code to infostring and PointerCoordinates plugin
    - Added elongation and phase angle to Comet and MinorPlanet infostrings
    - Added cross identification data for stars from Bright Star Catalogue, 5th Revised Ed. (Hoffleit+, 1991)
    - Added AstroCalc icon (LP: #1641256)
    - Added new scriptable methods to CustomObjectMgr class
    - Added Sardinian sky culture
    - Allow changes of milky way and zodiacal light brightness via GUI while stars switched off (LP: #1651897)
    - Fixed visual issue for AstroCalc tool
    - Fixed incorrectly escaping of translated strings for some languages in Remote Control plugin (LP: #1608177)
    - Fixed disappearing of star labels when the 'Navigational Stars' plugin is loaded and not activated (LP: #1608288)
    - Fixed offset issue for image sensor frame in Oculars plugin (LP: #1610629)
    - Fixed crash when labels and markers box in sky and Viewing Options tab is ticked (LP: #1609958)
    - Fixed spherical distortion with night mode (LP: #1606969)
    - Fixed behaviour of buttons on Oculars on-screen control panel (LP: #1609060)
    - Fixed misalignment of Veil nebula image (LP: #1610824)
    - Fixed build of planetarium without scripting support (Thanks to Alexey Dokuchaev for the bug report)
    - Fixed coordinates of the open cluster Melotte 227
    - Fixed typos in Kamilorai skyculture
    - Fixed cmake typos for scenery3d model (Thanks to Alexey Dokuchaev for the bug report)
    - Fixed crash when turning off custom GRS if GRS Details dialogue has not been opened before (LP: #1620083)
    - Fixed small issue rounding for JD for DeltaT tooltip on bottom bar
    - Fixed rendering orbits of artificial satellites during changing of location through spaceship feature (LP: #1622796)
    - Fixed hiding the Moon during a total solar eclipse when option 'limit magnitude' for Solar system objects is enabled
    - Fixed small bug for updating catalog in the Bright Novae plugin
    - Fixed displaying date and time in AstroCalc Tool (LP: #1630685)
    - Fixed a typographical error in coefficient for precession expressions by Vodnark et. al.
    - Fixed crash on exit in the debug mode in StelTexture module (LP: #1632355)
    - Fixed crash in the debug mode (LP: #1631910)
    - Fixed coverity issues
    - Fixed obvious typos
    - Fixed issue for wrong calculation of exit pupil for binoculars in Oculars plugin (LP: #1632145)
    - Fixed issue for Arabic translation (LP: #1635587)
    - Fixed packaging on OS X for Qt 5.6.2+
    - Fixed calculations of the value of the Moon secular acceleration when JPL DE43x ephemeris is used
    - Fixed distances for objects of Caldwell catalogue
    - Fixed calculations for transit phenomena (LP: #1641255)
    - Fixed missing translations in Remote Control plug-in (LP: #1641296)
    - Fixed displaying of localized projection name in Remote Control (LP: #1641297)
    - Fixed search localized names of artificial satellites
    - Fixed showing translated names of artificial satellite
    - Fixed GUI Problem in Satellites plug-in (LP: #1640291)
    - Fixed moon size infostring (LP: #1641755)
    - Fixed AstroCalc lists transits as occulations (LP: #1641255)
    - Fixed resetting of DSO Limit Magnitude by Image Sensor Frame (LP: #1641736)
    - Fixed Nova Puppis 1942 coordinates
    - Fixed error in light curve model of historical supernovae (LP: #1648978)
    - Fixed width of search dialog for Meteor Showers plugin (LP: #1649640)
    - Fixed shortcut for "Remove selection of constellations" action (LP: #1649771)
    - Fixed retranslation name and type of meteor showers in Meteor Showers when language of application is changed
    - Fixed wrong tooltip info (LP: #1650725)
    - Fixed Mercury's magnitude formula (LP: #1650757)
    - Fixed cross-id error for alpha2 Cen (LP: #1651414)
    - Fixed core.moveToAltAzi(90,XX) issue (LP: #1068529)
    - Fixed view centered on zenith (restart after save) issue (LP: #1620030)
    - Updated DSO Catalog: Added support full of UGC catalog
    - Updated DSO Catalog: Added galaxies from PGC2003 catalog (mag <=15)
    - Updated DSO Catalog: Removed errors and duplicates
    - Updated stars catalogues
    - Updated stars names (LP: #1641455)
    - Updated settings for AstroCalc
    - Updated Satellites plugin
    - Updated Scenery3d plugin
    - Updated Stellarium User Guide
    - Updated support for High DPI monitors
    - Updated list of star names for Western sky culture
    - Updated Search Tool (LP: #958218)
    - Updated default catalogues for plugins
    - Updated list of locations (2nd version of format - TZ support)
    - Updated pulsars catalog & util
    - Updated Scripting Engine
    - Updated rules for visibility of exoplanets labels
    - Updated shortcuts
    - Updated info for the landscape actions (LP: #1650727)
    - Updated Bengali translation of Sardinian skyculture (LP: #1650733)
    - Correctly apply constellation fade duration (LP: #1612967)
    - Expanded behaviour of for isolated constellations selection (only for skycultures with IAU generic boundaries) (LP: #1412595)
    - Ensure stable up vector for lookZenith, lookEast etc.
    - Verification the star names by the official IAU star names list
    - Minor improvement in ini file writing
    - Set usage Bortle index only after year 1825
    - Re-implement wait() and waitFor() scripting functions to avoid large delays in main thread
    - Restored broken feature (hidding markers for selected planets)
    - Removed color profiles from PNG files
    - Removed the flips of the CCD frame because it works incorrect and he introduced new one bug
    - Removed the useless misspelled names from list of stars
    - Removed the Time Zone plug-in
    - Removed useless translations in ArchaeoLines plug-in

13. Dave In Vermont

Thank you for this timely(!) update, Alex!

I've downloaded the latest 0.15.1 and will install later on this holiday times. I've heard of one person who reported it was crashing Windows 10 64bit. So if anyone else encounters this - just wait a few days while it's being researched.

By the looks of it - this is one great update! WOW! Thank You & The Team for all you do!

Season's Greetings -

Dave

14. Dave In Vermont

I have now performed the deed - installed 0.15.1 of Stellarium - on top of the 0.15.0 I'd been running. And judging by the talk over in another astronomy forum, I thought I might clarify a thing or two:

As I stated - I installed the new right on top of the older one. Quite a few people were complaining that they'd have to re-enter all of their preferred settings for things as hown much magniture to chart stars down to, how many nebulae to show on the screen, and so forth. This doesn't need to be done in the first place:

During the install, you will see a box that has 4 smaller boxes to either check-off, or not. In my case I noted that 3 of these came checked-off. This would clear all my previous settings! So I un-checked all of them before proceeding. Thus all my previous settings remained fully intact. All that was needed, in my case, was to turn it on.

Smooth transition. And Stellarium 0.15.1 rocks! That's one great update!! WOW!!

Just wait, folks - you're in for a wonderful sight! My most sincere 'thanks' to all the development-team! And our friend here - Alex! Great job!!

15. Dave In Vermont

A quick note, folks:

Stellarium 0.16.0 has been formally released. You can get this in the usual manner - just visit the website and download!

Thanks, Alex! Looks very good indeed!

Dave

16. alexwolf

alexwolf Active Member

Today we published the first RC of version 0.16.1. Please test this package and report us about finded problems (in this topic or in our bug tracker).

Full list of changes between version 0.16.0 and version 0.16.1RC1 (v0.90.0.9796):
    - Added two notations for unit of measurement of surface brightness
    - Added improvement for hide/unhide lines and grids in Oculars plugin
    - Added few moons of Saturn (Phoebe, Janus, Epimetheus, Helene, Telesto, Calypso, Atlas, Prometheus, Pandora, Pan) with classic elliptical orbits
    - Added few moons of Uranus (Cordelia, Cressida, Desdemona, Juliet, Ophelia) with classic elliptical orbits
    - Added 2 moons of Pluto (Kerberos and Styx) with classic elliptical orbits
    - Added code to avoid conflicts for names of asteroids and moons
    - Added support of IAU moon numbers
    - Added angular size into AstroCalc/Positions tool
    - Added option to allow users to choose output formatting of coordinates of objects
    - Added optional debug info for HDPI devices
    - Added optional calculations of resolution limits for Oculars plugin
    - Added new data from IAU Catalog of Star Names (LP: #1705111)
    - Added support download zip archives with TLE data to Satellites plugin
    - Added link to the Mike McCants' classified TLE data into the default list of TLE sources
    - Added link to AMSAT TLE data into the default list of TLE sources
    - Added support 'The Strasbourg-ESO Catalogue of Galactic Planetary Nebulae' (Acker+, 1992) [DSO catalog version 3.2]
    - Added support 'A catalogue of Galactic supernova remnants' (Green, 2014) [DSO catalog version 3.2]
    - Added support 'A Catalog of Rich Clusters of Galaxies' (Abell+, 1989) [DSO catalog version 3.2]
    - Added export the predictions of Iridium flares (LP: #1707390)
    - Added meta information about version and edition into file of Stellarium DSO Catalog to avoid potential crash of Stellarium in the future (validation the version of catalog before loading)
    - Added support of extra physical data for asteroids
    - Added support of outlines for DSO
    - Added new time step: saros
    - Added new time step: 7 sidereal days
    - Added more checks to the network connections
    - Added support of comments for constellations_boundaries.dat file (LP: #1711433)
    - Added support for small asterisms with lines by the equatorial coordinates
    - Added support for ray helpers
    - Added new feature (crossed lines and output string near mouse cursor) to the Pointer Coordinates plugin
    - Added missing cross-id data
    - Added support an images within description of landscapes
    - Fixed wrong rendering Neptune and Uranus (LP: #1699648)
    - Fixed Vector3 compilation error in unit tests (LP: #1700095)
    - Fixed a conflict around landscape autoselection (LP: #1700199)
    - Fixed HMS formatting
    - Fixed generating ISS script
    - Fixed tooltips for AstroCalc/Positions tool
    - Fixed dark nebulae parameters for AstroCalc/Positions tool
    - Fixed tool for saving options
    - Fixed crash when we on the spaceship
    - Fixed Solar system class to avoid conflicts and undefined behaviour
    - Fixed orientation angle and its data rendering (LP: #1704561)
    - Fixed wrong shadows on Jupiter's moons (Added special case for Jupiter's moons when they are in the shadow of Jupiter for compute magnitudes from Expl. Suppl. 2013 item) (LP: #1704421)
    - Fixed work AstroCalc/AltVsTime tool for artificial satellites (a bit slow solution though)
    - Fixed search by lists of DSO
    - Fixed translation switch issue for AstroCalc/Graphs tool (LP: #1705341)
    - Fixed trackpad behaviour on macOS though workaround
    - Fixed couple stupid bugs in InnoSetup script
    - Fixed morphology for SNR
    - Fixed issue in parsing of date format in AstroCalc/Phenomena tool
    - Fixed link for fileStructure.html file in README (LP: #1709523)
    - Fixed the calculation for drawing a reticle on a HiDPI display (Oculars plugin)
    - Fixed default option of units of measure for surface brighness to avoid possible artifacts on the macOS (LP: #1699643)
    - Fixed crash when comments is added into constellations_boundaries.dat file (LP: #1711229)
    - Fixed behaviour of 'Center on selected object' button (LP: #1712101)
    - Fixed impossibility to select a planet after Astronomical Calculations is activated (LP: #1712652)
    - Fixed crash with unknown star in asterism
    - Fixed cross-ids of 42 bright double stars (LP: #1655493)
    - Fixed magnitude computation for Jupiter's satellites
    - Updated InfoString feature
    - Updated sky brightness during solar eclipse (really, there are only few stars visible.)
    - Updated Maori sky culture
    - Updated list of names of deep-sky objects
    - Updated list of asterisms
    - Updated selection behaviour in Oculars plugin (avoid selection of objects outside ocular circle in eyepiece mode)
    - Updated behaviour of methods getEnglishName() and getNameI18n() for minor bodies
    - Updated behaviour of planetarium for support a new format of asteroid names
    - Updated behaviour of filters for DSO catalogs
    - Updated Solar System Editor plugin (support new format of asteroid names)
    - Updated RTS2 telecope driver in Telescope Control plugin.
    - Updated API docs
    - Updated limit of magnitude for Oculars plugin (Improvements)
    - Updated AstroCalc/WUT tool
    - Updated AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool
    - Updated rules for storing default settings
    - Updated rules for computation visibility of DSO hints
    - Updated plugins
    - Updated default values for material fade-in/fade-out times
    - Reduce warnings to one when loading OBJ with non-default w texture/vertex coordinates

Binary packages to downloads: https://launchpad.net/stellarium/trunk/0.90.0

17. Dave In Vermont

Must be getting close now for a full-on version. But another 0.90.0 has just arrived: stellarium-0.90.0.9817

If you wish to load this:

https://launchpad.net/stellarium/trunk/0.90.0
    Seems good! Been playing with it most of the day without any crashes or other mishaps.

Have Fun & Thanks Alex!

Dave

18. Dave In Vermont

Hello Again - Stellarium-User's!

Behind-the scenes down in Stellarium Land, the developer-crew never sleeps! And about every week another "Trunk" - or 'beta' - is offered to anyone who wishes to test-out some tweaks and additions to Stellarium. And this last month (or so - time is releative) has been LY's in regards to some startling new features -

They have been 'tinkering and tweaking' our local solar-system - mapping and naming the notable names and features on the planets and their Moons! Which has drawn more than a passing "WOW!" from Yours' Truly here. And words just won't suffice. So here's 2 screenshots of what words fail to be enough to describe:

Mars -

stellarium-705.png

Titan - Moon of Saturn -

stellarium-696.png

The latest 'trunk' issued-to-date, 0.90.0.9943, and can be downloaded from the usual website:

https://launchpad.net/stellarium/trunk/0.90.0

You're welcome to post feedback through the Stellarium website, or right here. Our member of the developers' team - Alex Wolf ( alexwolf ) - does poke his head in here - when he gets a chance to catch his breath!

Best Wishes,

Dave

19. Dave In Vermont

HEY ALL! STELLARIUM 0.17.0 HAS BEEN RELEASED - with features on the planets, moons, and certain asteroids-dwarf-planets!

http://stellarium.org/

Dave

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Orion25 likes this.
  20. Dave In Vermont

Oops! I'm a goof! It's 0.17.0. NOT 70.0 - I've been using too many 0.90.0.xxxxx beta's lately! :p

Orion25 likes this.