Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

New light wall concept

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Nebula, Oct 2, 2022.

New light wall concept

Started by Nebula on Oct 2, 2022 at 2:15 PM

21 Replies 2393 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I just installed an improvised light pollution wall for my observation of tonight, there is a road at an angle passing and it needs to be in V shape. If it works, I'll buy materials to build a better "V" shape then the current setup.

The head lights of cars are an annoyance.. with this, I should be able to observe Jupiter and Saturn quietly tonight.

I am not strong enough to carry the ridiculously large telescope that far.. so my best friend will be this dual wheel wheelbarrow, that was a second hand gift to me..

[​IMG]

Spiders will climb on me looking for heat in a spot like that.. I'll hear the mice too, moving in the weeds.
    [​IMG]

The improvised wall protecting me from the light attacks.
    [​IMG]

Orion25 and Mak the Night like this.
  2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Could work. Nice barrow.

3. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I really like that barrow too, ((; free stuff is always cool.

I need to build a rack to put inside of it, some kind of holder for the tube, it will be easier to carry and this will prevent accidents...

4. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Wow, where do you live, in paradise?

Here is a pic of a neighbors back yard, and he never took down the holiday lights:

1D10T 2021-2022.JPG
    1D10T

Many nights he would forget to turn off that light show, and they would burn all night.

Fortunately for me that neighbor moved a few months ago. My new neighbor took down all that, and his new lights aren't irritating. He does remember to turn off his patio lights when he goes to sleep. I'm growing a couple of Areca Palms to block two small security lights he installed and leaves on all night.

Life in the big city. o_O

Ed

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  5. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Ed D

Waaa ok It's pretty bad these lights in your picture.. good thing that you have a new neighbor now... at least it's 1 good news. Trees are effective.

I have a spot close to a factory, during summer the leaves creates a good light wall, but during winter, once the leaves have fallen. :confused: I have 4x industrial spotlights pointing at me, probably 1000w each.

My observation here, tonight was a failure.. it looked like hell to me honestly. I didn't roll the scope to my spot in the picture.. I was lazy and installed the dobson on the deck instead.

--> The Smoke from the neighbor's chemistry ruined everything, I had difficulties breathing, it was impossible to wait for Jupiter to improve, the scope was also not acclimated.. well enough A REAL disaster...

That smoke is as bad as light pollution.

6. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Nice setup, Neb. I hope you'll be able to get it to work out for you :)

Nebula likes this.
  7. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Orion25

Ahh yeah it works yesterday, but for a moon and the planet type of observation, I am far less annoyed by light then a stars and DSO observation, So the setup was there and certainly blocking a lot of light.

It must have worked because, I was NOT annoyed by light (:)

Orion25 likes this.
  8. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I have an improved version of my light wall, I bought new steel posts to replace the previous right part of the wall which is too weak against the wind, new version it's strong against the wind. I found the mattress covering for free so the total cost was about 11.50CAD (((; (Falase, + 8$ for the wood also)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Orion25 and Mak the Night like this.
  9. Orion25

Very resourceful, Neb!

10. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I am going to have to give it an observatory name like yours, the R.J.S. Observatory.. Hemm I'll think about it but inside there is the RLT (Ridiculously large telescope, the new Ridiculously heavy 12")

By the way I am in the process of starting a special workout to be able to carry the telescope, to get stronger.. The bag is 51 lbs total.. the workout is revolving around moving 60lbs in the stairs.

@Mak the Night you would not like that believe me.

Orion25 likes this.
  11. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I believe you. Maybe you need to invest in a robotic exoskeleton?

Nebula and Orion25 like this.
  12. Orion25

Wow, good luck with the workout, Neb! Don't hurt yourself, buddy. A name suggestion: RLTO (Ridiculously Large Telescope Observatory), lol!

13. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night lol, I will stick with workout for now. @Orion25 yeah good idea not to hurt myself, especially me with the dumbbell, muscular workout never worked for me in fact.

Some people will build muscle easily but not me.

14. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Orion25 I hurt my back slightly today while working outside, cleaning the gutters or carrying steel posts.. (I think the posts) that or moving the RLT last evening...

I took these bad boys out today.. 32 lbs each... I can upgrade them to 52lbs each (or less then that) . 32lbs will be much more then enough for my purpose though.

Operation strength

[​IMG]

Orion25 likes this.
  15. Orion25

Yes, those should do the trick. I have some 30 lbs ones. Do you play drums? I see what looks like drum set stands in the picture (like a snare drum or cymbal stands).

16. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Orion25 I play the drums a little bit yes, not much in the last 4 months though, it's cycle type of thing for me. I never got past the point of practicing on my own and playing along with music in headphones.

Not so far, I find this sad a little bit, sometimes I play more drums then I do stargazing but not lately. Being alone in the silent night is hard to beat.

It's frankly a very good Chinese Gretch little 4 piece drum with a 18" bass drum, I developed my own tuning pitch for the heads, for older jazz like the Bill Evans trio and things like that. It can be tuned differently to play other style of music.

I picked these cymbals to match what I would hear in jazz albums mostly ans as best as I could, I love them, could not sell any of these.

[​IMG]

Orion25 likes this.
  17. Orion25

Nice kit, Neb. I had a generic trap set that I had to get rid of because my studio building was bought out by a law firm and I had no place for it. I still have the snare, snare stand, hi-hat, kick drum pedal, and cymbal. I also play piano/keyboards, bass, and electric guitar. Music is as much a passion as astronomy for me. I love them both!

Nebula likes this.
  18. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Orion25 I remember your music during your video of the planets great stuff with the Keyboard! I liked these videos, if you make more of these, I'll listen to them of course.

Multi instrumentalist, that's cool, so you don't need to bother with other band members and their attitude, lol.

What kind of cymbal do you have?

And you have no more studio now.. do you have a plan to get a new one?

19. Orion25

Thanks, Neb. I made a song and video for the Mars Perseverance mission that's on my Bandcamp page:

https://thefellasmusic.bandcamp.com/track/perseverance-digital-single

There's a bunch of other stuff on there as well. I even do audiobooks!
    I always had a studio room at my house, but I don't have room for a full drum set right now. It's wonderful being able to do things myself, YES! Haha.

I have a Zildijan cymbal. I want to get a china and splash cymbal when I get another full drum set (if I can find a place to put it, lol).

Nebula likes this.
  20. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Cool song with cool effects, Perseverance. I like the synthesizers, I am a fan of synth music.

I don't see you name in the personnel of the piece:

released June 17, 2022
    The Space Outs are Spencer (voice, synthesizers, computer programming, background vocals), Alien (bass synthesizers, guitars, background vocals), Neona (synthesizers, background vocals), Tracy (drums, rhythm programming, background vocals), Paratelogram (turntablism), The Daydream Machine 2022 (AI interface)