Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Starbase 'Orthoscopic Plossls' Revisited

Discussion in 'Eyepieces, Barlows, and Filters' started by Mak the Night, Dec 24, 2021.

Starbase 'Orthoscopic Plossls' Revisited

Started by Mak the Night on Dec 24, 2021 at 3:28 AM

80 Replies 14104 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Good luck with Mars. Yeah, it's the usual big babies. I still agree with Dave, Huntley is yampo. Same old usual suspects from CN. I think they must have very sad lives.

2. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I think he is evil from within from what I saw in the past or with like, a very short tolerance span. I don't know what kind of life path would push you to be like that. But it helps me to be something I don't need to be on forums.

Mars was OK, I used my 5mm OR-HD, it's a EP I rarely use (most of the time I prefer the views through the 6mm) 200x was not bad at all with the well cooled 8" mirror, the disk was clean. After 7 years I see that I underestimated the initial cooling time a lot.

Mak the Night likes this.
  3. Mak the Night

I'm still going with mental illness lol, Oh yeah, 'yampo' is a Black Country (loosely defined area in the English Midlands where the Industrial Revolution began. It's distinctive for its accent and idiom. Also my birthplace.) expression meaning a bit crazy.

Have you taken the jet stream into account?

https://earth.nullschool.net/#curre...ographic=-94.87,54.30,704/loc=-105.574,73.934

Also, have you taken into account the present external temperature? Cool down can often vary in time. In my experience anyway.

4. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night

I should integrate the jetstream in my routine while checking the forecast. Yesterday was different, I saw clear sky by the window and took the telescope out.

Yampo is cool, I had a good idea that it was an insult. :D We have people like that occupying jobs at high level of government, no wonder why we are turning into a tyranny day by day. o_O

External temperature was about 0 Celsius, it's a bit more then 1 hour for the 8" obviously. IF it's -10 Celsius the cooldown I think, should be much faster.

5. Mak the Night

On a good night the jet-stream misses the entire UK! I found cool-down varies with external temperature. Often two whole hours for my 127 Mak. Longer for the Newt'. I think you're underestimating the time. Look at a bright object then defocus. You'll see the thermals in the tube.

Nebula likes this.
  6. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night it's true, after more then an hour last time, there was still heat in the mirrors while defocusing.. It was usable but not perfect..

I need to change my strategy in order to get better cooldown period for the optics.

7. Mak the Night

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion. Which is why my favourite scopes are four inch apo refractors.

Nebula likes this.
  8. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Oki you have reached a point where you can say, considering all the facts that it's the 4" APO, it's a good thing.

Do you have such a large APO?

9. Mak the Night

I have a 102mm ED doublet. ED doublets hardly have any cool down.

ed.jpg

Nebula likes this.
  10. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Cool doublet @Mak the Night.

It must be a capable instrument to split doubles I bet. I had a load of problems tonight trying to split tight doubles with my 8", too much tube current again, not enough cool down time to clear the heat and to add enough power.

The views of mars were quite impressive however.

11. Mak the Night

Thanks. It has FPL-53 and lanthanum glass. I'm not over-keen on splitting doubles with reflectors and much prefer the cleaner view with no secondary. Newtonians will also have diffraction spiking.

frac.jpg

Vixen half-pillar & Porta II/HAL-130 tripod.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    Nebula and Orion25 like this.
  12. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

That's a brill set-up, Dave :)

13. Mak the Night

Thanks Reggie, it's heavy though (for me). I'm thinking of wasting my greenhouse next year. I'll put a shed where it is now and keep the Vixen mount in it. I can then just carry the OTA out to it.

14. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Very cool, I should sell my 6" reflector eventually (which I rarely use), to get a nice 4" refractor like this one instead, the sharpest views possible.

This one is a nice size for a refractor, 102mm

15. Mak the Night

It cost me 900 quid, not sure what that is in Canadian dollars. They are sold under a variety of brand names.

Nebula likes this.
  16. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

It's not too expensive for a 4" refractor. I looked at a couple of them on some websites, I am guessing it must be something like 1000 ~ 1500 CAD, I had a friend he picked up a Celestron Omni 102mm + EQ mount almost for free with another telescope. The original focuser was not very impressive unlike yours.

If I get a refactor one day, it will be second hand.

17. Mak the Night

Oh, the Omni isn't in the same class as the Altair. I believe the Altair are made by Kunming United Optics.

18. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

The omni looked like entry level everything which is probably not the case with yours.

19. Mak the Night

The KUO FPL-53/lanthanum doublets are highly regarded regardless of how they're branded. TBH I'd rather have a 4" quality refractor than an 8" reflector of any sort. Once you use a decent refractor it's difficult to go back to any kind of reflector. It's like suddenly being able to see properly.

altair.jpg

Although refractors 5" or over tend to need heavy mounts. Focal ratio also becomes an issue as longer length OTA's can become difficult to manipulate.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    Nebula likes this.
  20. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Ok so a good 4" doublet with ED lens, this would be good for visual. I never used a good Refractor so... can't say too much for the moment.

Saw an article the other day, an enthusiast bought a 8" APM refractor and the telescope it's competing against 12.5" 22" dobsons, much like what you say, the DSO views are apparently very good.

Affordable 5", I don't have to many of them in memory, explore scientific has a line of inexpensive large refractor the ARs probably not as good as your ED right?