Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

SpaceX Starship Explodes on Launch

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Mak the Night, Apr 20, 2023.

SpaceX Starship Explodes on Launch

Started by Mak the Night on Apr 20, 2023 at 8:23 AM

13 Replies 2163 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

2. Mak the Night

[​IMG]

Wouldn't have happened to Steve Zodiac, Venus and Robbie the Robot!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  3. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Mak the Night likes this.
  4. Mak the Night

Well and truly ...

Either way, Musk classes this as a success. :confused:

5. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Yes, it was a success and they will be learning a lot from the data collected. Countless numbers of rockets have blown up since the 1940s. In the early days NASA blew up several rockets in the learning process. Unfortunately, later on we lost astronauts, such as the Apollo fire and the two shuttle disasters. If it wasn't for the innovators and the daring adventurers who take risks we would still be living in caves afraid of fire.

Musk may blow up one or two more rockets before they work out the bugs. Even then, there's no guarantee. I hope to live long enough to see the success of this big and ambitious space exploration program. Remember the 1950s and 1960s movies where the rockets would land vertically? I never dreamed I would see the day when Space-X would land a rocket stage on a small floating pad in the middle of the ocean with such precision. First time I saw that it gave me goose bumps.

Ed

6. Mak the Night

It was about as successful as the Titanic lol. Musk is a piss taker if anything. The UK is just as bad, https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...ration-using-moon-resources-and-nuclear-power

I mean, how about fixing the planet before it turns into Venus? Nobody believed Carl Sagan when, as a post grad, he claimed Venus was like it is. He was right though. We will end up like that, unless someone pulls their finger out.

Ed D likes this.
  7. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Being of Latino origin, I don't fully understand what piss taker means, but I'm certain it's not complimentary and likely a good choice of words to describe the man. Might pendejo be a close latino equivalent?

Thanks for the link. A lot of good advancements have come from research and space. I have no problem with that. What I do have a huge problem with is the greed, corruption and total disregard that contributes to the destruction of our planet. It's not just industry and governments at fault, but also the general population. We know the things that are killing us, but we continue building them anyway.

The second part of your post reminds me of a conversation I had with a neighbor. His house was simply gorgeous, one that could be showcased in Better Homes and Gardens. Beautiful as it was, he did a major remodeling job - go figure! While the renovations were in progress I asked him if he was going to replace the 30+ year old roof on his house. Not hard to figure out his response and how that went for him, especially living in the tropics.

Humanity needs to drastically slow down the remodeling and start on a new roof - ASAP!

8. Mak the Night

We need to build that roof yesterday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_the_piss

9. Mak the Night

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-explodes-elon-musk-billionaires-tax-the-rich

:):cool:

When the largest rocket ever made plunged into the Gulf of Mexico, surely that must have come as something of a surprise to the fish.
    Yet that possibility remained largely unexplored and underreported by major news sources until 21 April, when the New York Times ran an article about the havoc that had been created in the wake of the latest launch. Windows were broken in Port Isabel, Texas, 6 miles away from the site. And the surrounding area has been covered with a layer of dust, grime and debris.

o_O

Those fresh-faced (and mostly young) people employed by Musk, cheering and high-fiving one another when the rocket launched – what do they think will happen to them? Do they believe they are destined to hang out with the boss on Mars? Will it dim their enthusiasm when they discover that Elon Musk has used them to arrange his interplanetary exit, along with 99 of his closest friends, when our planet is enduring the catastrophic effects of climate crisis – a disaster to which Musk and his minions will have contributed?

:mad:

It deducts from the fascination of watching the rocket go up and then down to think about where those machine parts and all that rocket fuel are going. And it’s an additional buzzkill to contemplate the fortune flaming out in front of our eyes. It’s money that – were there some greater oversight on how the super-rich amuse themselves and extend their domain – could have been spent on, let’s say, eradicating poverty, on education, on housing and healthcare, or on attempting to solve any of the crises that we are facing, right here and now, on our fragile and ailing planet.

Francine Prose, The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ing-up-in-flames-why-its-elon-musk-reputation

A consummate multitasker, Musk was busy juggling his Twitter fiasco with not-quite-intergalactic explosions. On Thursday, Musk’s SpaceX launched Starship, the largest, most powerful, and – possibly – most phallic-looking rocket ever built. It exploded after just a few minutes, raining debris down on to the Texas coast. While the layperson might consider this a failure, Musk and his minions assured us all that anyone who knew anything about complex space matters would realise his exploding rocket was a resounding success. And, while we’re at it, don’t call it an “explosion”. “As if the flight test was not exciting enough, Starship experienced a rapid unscheduled disassembly before stage separation,” read SpaceX’s tweeted statement.

While I can’t speak to the veracity of Zambian emerald mines, I can say that Elon hasn’t been having the best time of it lately. For years the billionaire convinced an embarrassing number of people that he was a visionary who was going to save the world. Increasingly, however, he is being revealed as an incompetent narcissist who is doing his best to set his brand on fire. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Nope, it’s the rapid unscheduled disassembly of Elon Musk’s reputation.

Arwa Mahdawi is a Guardian columnist

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    Ed D likes this.
  10. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Some good points you bring up about the damage being done to the environment, animals and people that the general public is oblivious to.

I looked up the definition of piss taker and I have to disagree with you. Pendejo is more fitting.

11. Mak the Night

Maybe Ed,

https://www.dictionary.com/e/translations/pendejo/

Arsehole seems good, but he isn't stupid, he just does and says stupid things. Especially when he insulted one of the British Cave Rescue Council blokes who rescued the young Thai football team by calling him 'paedo guy'. Just because he pointed out Musk's saft little submarine wouldn't work. Those BCRC blokes are considered heroes now by the Thai government. It's still a saft little submarine.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/41-words-phrases-you-only-23178026

I'm from the Black Country.

12. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Agreed, by no means is he stupid. However, I have also noticed how he does and says stupid things. I guess that makes him human?

Musk and his teams have made a lot of contributions for the betterment of humanity, and I recognize that. I also recognize that we learn more from our mistakes than our successes. Musk dreams big and is bound to make big mistakes. I think the way that people have come to idolize him and follow him blindly has gotten into his head to some extent, and it can show at times.

I believe this latest launch was a form of destructive testing, and he knew it. I also believe that he didn't fully realize the extent of damage this would cause, hence pendejo. It's a huge rocket, what else could we expect. I hope next time it goes better and better precautions are taken.

On another note, I enjoyed reading the 41 Word Phrases you linked to. I'm of latino origin but grew up in the old 1960s suburban/semi-rural Southern US, more Gringo-Guajiro than anything else. The phrases reminded me of a funny incident that happened years ago with some Yankee relatives that were visiting. It was around lunch time and I wanted to know if they had already eaten. So, without even thinking about it, I asked them just as I would any of my friends, "Jeet?" The look on their faces was priceless.

13. Mak the Night

Sounds like you have some great words from your own culture. Half my family were descended from Vikings, just to make things more difficult!

Ed D likes this.
  14. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Don't know if I ever mentioned it, but my better half is of Irish descent. Keeps life interesting.

Last edited: May 20, 2023