Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

mercury and Venus.

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by kevan hubbard, Mar 20, 2017.

mercury and Venus.

Started by kevan hubbard on Mar 20, 2017 at 3:03 PM

4 Replies 1213 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

Anyone spotted mercury yet?I did on today the equinox, got to be some deep pagan meaning in that!!??,in was in the orange sunset at about 1820.Venus was a crescent to it's right, mercury was a bit higher than Venus I'd say about 3 full moon diameters to Venus's left.neither where naked eye in the sunset but my monocular showed them with ease.Uranus is there somewhere but no chance with the sun just below.I'd be careful with using telescopes, monoculars and binoculars to be sure that the sun is 100 percent below the horizon!

Orion25 likes this.
  2. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Yes, Kevan, I spotted Mercury over the weekend with Venus at bay! It was a bit of a challenge but I have access to a site with a good western horizon. It was like magic as Mercury magically appeared at twilight.

Reggie

3. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Having no Western exposure at my usual perch, I take a wander to my local park.

Battery Park is placed on the Heights up above the shore of Lake Champlain, which is 12 miles across to the New York State-side and the Adirondack Mountains beyond - which rise like a sine-wave. When the Sun sets, it really sets! Drops like a stone behind the jagged peaks of the Adirondacks.

And if Mercury is visible as an 'Evening Star' - spotting it from Battery Park is a breeze, clouds permitting. The last time I went for Mercury, he was a prominent brick-red 'star' above the mountain-tops. Easy!

My Eastern exposure is more problematic. Human-beings having created some artificial obstacles.

Dave

Adirondack Mountains - May 2008.jpg

Orion25 likes this.
  4. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

That's a gorgeous view. What's the peak altitude?

5. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Orion25 likes this.