Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

More Views

Antares 1.25" Variable Transmission Polarizing Filter (China)

4.7 (6 Reviews) Read Reviews Write Review
Brand Antares
Part Number FXP(C)
Availability available

Product Info

Manufacturer Description

While observing the moon or planets, there is often too much light that washes out subtle details. This glare can be cut back using neutral density filters or polarizers. The variable polarizing filter makes this even better by stacking two polarizing filters together and combining them with a special ring that prevents the two individual filters from getting separated during normal use. By rotating the two elements, light transmission can be varied between about 2% and 40%. This filter retains true color balance since all wavelengths are transmitted uniformly over the entire spectrum.

The two polarizing elements can be unscrewed to obtain two polarizing filters which can be used for day time photography or to improve contrast in images when only a little reduction in transmitted light is desired. The filter has a standard 1.25" thread (M28.5 x 0.6) so it can be screwed on to any virtually any standard 1.25" eyepiece or accessory.

Specifications:

• Total item length (including external male thread) = 19.3mm (0.76")
  • Clear aperture = 25.9mm (1.02")
  • Weight = 0.5 oz.
  • Made in China

Reviews

4.7 (Based on 6 Reviews) 100% of reviewers recommended this product.
Rating Distribution
Sort by
  • Date
  • Rating
  • Useful
    1. Guest

Skill Level
      Unknown
      Time with Product
      Unknown
      User Notes:
      Review by Yoshuzimo of West Valley City, Utah.
      Dec 6, 2013

5.0 It's never too bright!

Pros:

Just Right Amount Of Ligh,Compact,Strong Construction,Easy to Use,Lightweight,Quality Lenses,Accurate

Cons:

Comments:

I use this to not only view the moon but also with my solar filter, as even with a solar filter the image can still be quite bright, this allows me to "dim down" the image until it's just right for my viewing preferences. Never again do I have to wait until my eyes "adjust" to what I'm looking at, just simply turn to adjust. And it doesn't turn on its own because it's solidly built! Overall, a great product for a great price!

Bottom Line: Would you recommend this item? Yes
      Was this review helpful? Yes / No

This review was provided courtesy of AgenaAstro.com

2. Guest

Skill Level
      Unknown
      Time with Product
      Unknown
      User Notes:
      Review by JB of Truckee, CA.
      Jul 27, 2013

5.0 Polarizing Moon Filter

Pros:

Quality Lenses,Great For Phases Of Moon

Cons:

None

Comments:

I have a 10" reflector and the filter allows great viewing through the moon phases. It also works well for viewing Venus.

3. Guest

Skill Level
      Unknown
      Time with Product
      Unknown
      User Notes:
      Review by Raul of El Salvador.
      Feb 8, 2013

5.0 Works like a charm!

Pros:

Easy to Use,Lightweight,Quality Lenses

Cons:

Comments:

This filter is excellent! It doesn't distort the image at all, it does what is intended to do: reduce the glare (especially of the moon and planets), that's it. Highly recommended!

4. Guest

Skill Level
      Unknown
      Time with Product
      Unknown
      User Notes:
      Review by eduardopsok of Brazil.
      Nov 30, 2012

5.0 Very useful!

Pros:

Easy to Use,Quality Lenses,Lightweight,Accurate

Cons:

Comments:

Thank's agena astro for this stuf; it was very usefull for me; I can see the moon without my eyes hurt; very good product.
      sorry about my english

5. Guest

Skill Level
      Unknown
      Time with Product
      Unknown
      User Notes:
      Review by Castle of Turkey.
      Dec 30, 2011

4.0 Good Product

Pros:

Lightweight,Easy to Use,Compact

Cons:

Comments:

I'm using this product for visual observation of moon. It's very disturbing to your eyes when looking to the moon through an eyepiece with a large aperture telescope. But with this equipment, You can control the amount of light coming through the eyepiece.

6. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson New Member

Skill Level
      Unknown
      Time with Product
      Unknown
      User Notes:
      Nov 23, 2009

4.0 Antares 1.25" Variable Polarizing Filter

Pros:

- inexpensive
      - easily tune filter to desired transmission

Cons:

- tall
      - typo on label
      - plastic case pops open

Comments:

This filter is threaded to attach to your eyepiece like a standard 1.25" filter, and is threaded on the other end to allow stacking of multiple filters. It is essentially two polarizing filters that you can rotate by hand relative to each other, resulting in a continuous range of transmittance from 2 to 40%. The filter is well constructed, being all machined from aluminum and having a black anodized finish. The filter operates smoothly, and can be disassembled if you wish to use either of the polarizing elements separately. I have a 2" Lumicon variable polarizer, and in my opinion this one is comparable in quality. I'm not qualified to compare them optically, but so far my experience using the filter has been very good.

My only three qualms are: the filter is tall, 15mm not including the threads, which takes a bite out of your focuser travel if you are using an eyepiece with a long barrel; there is a typo on the labeling: "polarzer" instead of "polarizer"; and the plastic case that it comes in stays shut by friction only, and pops open easily. The filter is made in Japan, so I trust the quality of the product, just not their spelling!

Sort by
    • Date
    • Rating
    • Useful

Specifications

Manufacturer Antares