Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

More Views

Antares 90mm f/11.1 Vixen-Spec - Model 9010VU

4.0 (1 Reviews) Read Reviews Write Review
Brand Antares
Part Number
Availability available

Product Info

Overview

90mm (3.5") "Vixen Spec" refractor - Model 9010

Reviews

4.0 (Based on 1 Reviews) 100% of reviewers recommended this product.
Rating Distribution
Sort by
  • Date
  • Rating
  • Useful
    1. astro_anthro

astro_anthro New Member

Skill Level
      Unknown
      Time with Product
      Unknown
      User Notes:
      Mar 6, 2009

4.0 Antares 90mm F/11.1 "Vixen-Spec"

Pros:

Sharp views, works well with all types of eyepieces.

Cons:

Small amount of chromatic aberration, longish OTA.

Comments:

I purchased my Antares scope this past summer from Agena Astro (when they still sold Antares scopes). It is, in my view, an excellent value-priced refractor, and a very good example of what a well-corrected achromatic refractor is capable of. The objective is very nicely figured, and handles high power views with ease. When the seeing is good I have observed with the Antares difficult lunar targets like Rima Birt, Hadley Rille, and the Davy crater chain (Catena Davy) on the Moon. Views up to 170X are razor sharp, and I have even taken the scope up to 200X with little image breakdown when the seeing has been excellent. Even at high power there is little chromatic aberration, and then only on the very brightest targets like Venus or Sirius. It isn't an apochromat, and it is a bit on the long side. But if you have a decent mount, and can stand the tiny amount of CA it shows on bright targets, and you are looking for a great performer that won't break the bank, then think about the Antares 90 Vixen-spec.

Bottom Line: Would you recommend this item? Yes
      Was this review helpful? Yes / No
    Sort by
    • Date
    • Rating
    • Useful