Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

More Views

Lumicon Expansion Kit for 2" Multiple Filter Selector # LF5032

5.0 (2 Reviews) Read Reviews Write Review
Brand Lumicon
Part Number LF5032
Availability available

Product Info

Manufacturer Description

The LF5032, Expansion Kit for 2" Multiple Filter Selector, includes an extra filter tray, an 8-32 ball plunger, and two (2) adjustable stops. The kit converts the standard Lumicon 2" Multiple Filter Selector with 4 filter holders # LF5032 (sold separately) into a two-tray system, with a total capacity of 8 filters. Each tray may be easily removed and replaced.

Reviews

5.0 (Based on 2 Reviews) 100% of reviewers recommended this product.
Rating Distribution
Sort by
  • Date
  • Rating
  • Useful
    1. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson New Member

Skill Level
      Unknown
      Time with Product
      Unknown
      User Notes:
      Nov 23, 2009

5.0 Lumicon 1.25" Multiple Filter Selector

Pros:

- easily switch between filters
      - reasonable price for a novice
      - compact size
      - good quality

Cons:

- glossy interior and gap in body make so-so for serious astrophotography

Comments:

This accessory is another well built product by Lumicon. I purchased the item because I wanted a relatively inexpensive way to explore the use of different filters for planetary and astrophotography applications, and not loose my mind switching between them. Rotary systems seem very over priced to me, and this slide system seemed more reasonable for my purposes. The product is very sturdy, all pieces being machined from aluminum and black anodized with the exception of the single brass thumbscrew for securing your eyepiece. The sliding tray has 5 locations for you to thread in your standard 1.25” eyepiece filters. The gap in the central body of the product allows for filters up to 9mm tall (not including threads). I have not had any problems with my 1.25" filters not fitting through the gap in the central body like the fellow with the 2" version (I have Baader, Hirsch, and Meade brand filters). If you do have problems with filter heights, you can easily disassemble the unit and shim it up to the height you need. The end you insert into your scope has threads to install additional 1.25” filters if you desire. You simply push the tray back and forth to select the filter you want. The tray is indexed so each filter clicks in nicely. There are also stops so that the tray doesn’t fly out one end. Finally, the unit is compact and stows easily in the case with my other accessories.

For my purposes of visually exploring with planetary filters, and very basic astrophotography with my point-and-shoot digital camera, this filter selector works great. I think however that if you are a serious astrophotographer it might not meet your needs. The interior barrel is black anodized, so it has a smooth and slightly glossy finish that will reduce image contrast. Also the opening on either side of the selector’s body is generously sized to allow the filter to pass through easily, but it can allow stray light in as well.

Bottom Line: Would you recommend this item? Yes
      Was this review helpful? Yes / No
    2. MAK7

MAK7 New Member

Skill Level
      Unknown
      Time with Product
      Unknown
      User Notes:
      Aug 28, 2007

5.0 Wonderful concept, use mutiple filters with ease.

Pros:

Makes it so easy to change filters. Easily modified to fit other brands.

Cons:

You might need to modify for the height of your filters or use Lumicon.

Comments:

I really got tired of attaching and removing filters from EPs. I almost attempted a custom build until I saw a Lumicon ad in print. I purchased a 2" version from OPT and as soon as I received it, I was very impressed with the build quality, typical Lumicon. The first thing I noticed is it is threaded for Lumicon filters and my Astronomik and Celestron filters did not thread deep enough for the slide to clear the visual back. I realized that Lumicon does what I would do if I made the thing, i.e., only accept their filters. THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM!!! Other filters fit well enough to stay put but the Lumicon filters bottom out and the holder rings are not as tall as competitor's. This gives clearance problems as you move the slide. I added shims of hard rubber used as gasket material to enlarge the height clearance so the slide would clear. Cork gasket or other gasket material would work fine also. I was very pleased the modification was so easy and let me use my other expensive filters. I have never had any extra light issues from the small area left open above the slide. I left it open but could shim it easily as well.

This thing is worth it's weight in gold for the freedom it gives and allows you to try every filter on every object you observe. The 2" model holds only 4 filters so that it will clear a fork mount. I always leave a hole empty with 3 filters at the ready. Remember that this will change your point of focus as it ads about 1.25" to the light path.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!!!!

Bottom Line: Would you recommend this item? Yes
      Was this review helpful? Yes / No
    Sort by
    • Date
    • Rating
    • Useful