Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Observing with Small Apertures: 130mm and Below

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by Ray of Light, Jul 26, 2016.

Observing with Small Apertures: 130mm and Below

Started by Ray of Light on Jul 26, 2016 at 5:34 AM

4364 Replies 484907 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

The more the merrier!

2. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

That's quite a collection Mak The Night.

A few days ago I wanted to sell everything but i think you convinced me to keep all my eyepieces and barlow. I was about to sell my Xcel LX barlow definitly.

I think Ill collect stuff too finally.

I guess you best barlow must be the TV 2.5x powermate ? or the 2x ?

===============
    Did you tried that one against all your barlows and the xcel-lx ? It must be a newer version of the Omni.

https://www.amazon.ca/Celestron-Omn...8450176&sr=8-1&keywords=celestron+omni+barlow

I am surprised the Luminos won the 2" contest. I wonder how things would look like with my 34mm inside that barlow. (Too heavy for my mount probably)

Do you use the Xcel LX 3x for visual ?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  3. Mak the Night

I don't see any difference between any of the TV's. The Omni Barlows shown in artwork photo's all over the net are inaccurate. They all have 22mm aluminium drawtubes with an undercut now.

The 2" Luminos is very high quality for a shorty.

4. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Good to know if I ever need a 2" barlow, I know what to get now.

I have to prepare for my first observation of Uranus tonight, naked eye visible, so ill trow 143x to 283x on it. :) i wish for good conditions.

5. Mak the Night

TV do a big 2" Barlow, but it looks way too big for a diagonal. Good luck with Uranus, it's been months since I've seen it. Too much cloud here tonight!

6. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

7. Mak the Night

Yes, they're pretty good. Do you have the Orion Barlow in that link Dave?

MaxthonSnap20171020132258.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's Barsta.

http://www.barsta.com/show_hdr.php?xname=MDA8V11&dname=OPFOR71&xpos=6

The Sky-Watcher version is cheaper: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sk...atcher-ed-deluxe-2x-two-inch-barlow-lens.html

I have the 'Omegon' version of this.

MaxthonSnap20171020132601.jpg

I think it's an apo. It's the best quality 1.25" shorty 2x I own. You can't remove the element though but it is threaded for filters.

Omegon Barsta.jpg

You can get it considerably cheaper here now as a BST.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  8. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

The Omegon is a good looking Barlow has the picture. I like the shape and finish, same cooked paint probably has the Xcel LX

I could read on Google but what's the difference optically between a short and long barlow? My 2x Xcel LX is short and I can't say it's a bad barlow. The negative effect I get while using it with 25mm and 18 mm Xcel LX, it has much less tolerance for lateral misalignment and perhaps eye relief is a bit higher..

But the eye cup of the eyepiece is still usable so if I am stable, in term of quality, I don't really see any degradation. (Other then the loss of resolution due to doubling of the magnification)

Mak you convinced me to keep my barlow.

And I got my Xcel LX 5mm eyepiece back from my colleague today, it has some paint flakes inside.. visible while looking at the moon...

9. Mak the Night

I paid almost as much for that 'Omegon' as my TV 2x. I could have got it for 30 quid cheaper as a BST. I've learned my lesson with Omegon anyway lol. It really is a superb shorty though. It's small and light, perfect for small 1.25" diagonals.

I think the difference between the long and short Barlows is the shorter light path and more propensity towards vignetting. I tend to only use short Barlows with diagonals. You can use long Barlows in a Newtonian.

I think the X-Cel LX series has suffered from internal debris problems. Possibly a dodgy batch or two.

Forget about borked eyepieces and listen to some Flo!

10. Dave In Vermont

No, the Orion is different from the GSO. But I couldn't find an image of the GSO - I so I just used the Orion as an example.

R & D

11. Mak the Night

I really want that Orion/Sky-Watcher/Barsta 2" Barlow now lol.

12. Dave In Vermont

Now I know what Dr. Frankenstein must have felt like...

R & D

13. Mak the Night

He made crap Barlows though.

14. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I just want to remind you that, next week, Ill receive this:
    [​IMG]

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  15. Mak the Night

A good choice!

16. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

(;
    Not only that, I already have the available power 111x from the union of my 18mm and Barlow eyepieces. This gives me 111x power which I did not use ofter in the past year. (I used more 25mm with barlow to get 80x)

But in my last 3 observations I used more 111 x then 80x for many objects and it's a very great power too. I think 100x from the SVBony is going to be interesting too, right in the middle of what I already have. If I don't like it, ill switch it to my auxiliary eyepiece case for a guest.

I am thinking about the ST80 for my second guest scope, it's small and not too expensive, could it do the job ?

17. Mak the Night

The ST80 is good for a short tube achro. Only the focuser lets it down, although upgrades are available. I added a TS Optics 2" monorail two speed Crayford to mine.

tube3.jpg

Although you will need an extension tube for some eyepieces.

st80comet (4).jpg

The picture below is with the old focuser. Orion have ceased supplying the ST80 but Sky-Watcher still do and there is a Meade equivalent made by JOC.

18. Dave In Vermont

If you do dance with buying the ST80 and the scope wins over frugality, you'll be a 'Happy Camper.' And the focuser Mak has is made by GSO and sold 'branded' with many company' names. Including one that you've now established a good rapport with: ScopeStuff -

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_fsm1.htm

Orion ST80 with Crayford-Focuser d.JPG

My ST80 (above) is 'branded' just GSO, but my 150mm Maksutov says 'ScopeStuff' on it, which I like! An eclectic collection. My 12" LX90 Meade SCT also shouts ScopeStuff from it's visual-back. And that telescope deserves one that 'says 'RollsRoyce' on it! :p

The original focuser isn't terrible, but likely is stiff and need a good grease in it. I use a Teflon®-based grease on my scopes (and my 3 bicycles) called SuperLube - available at most good hardware-stores. There's a video on youtube by the Astronomy Shed that shows you exactly what & how to do this. But you've got the mechanical-thing down already, so I rather doubt you'd be needing this. You might enjoy seeing it anyway for general amusement. Google if you wish - my link has vanished for the time being...

Dave

19. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

oh ok very nice focuser, I agree with you a dual speed one is far superior. Very nice looking small refractor. It's on the list for someday.

Is this the right lube LOL

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  20. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member