Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Dubai and stargazing.

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by kevan hubbard, Nov 13, 2017.

Dubai and stargazing.

Started by kevan hubbard on Nov 13, 2017 at 10:37 PM

10 Replies 1832 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

Just arrived in Dubai and my first trip on the new Boeing 787 to boot!I spotted canopus out the plane window somewhere over Iran. Interestingly the 787 doesn't appear to have a pull down window blind, there's a button suggesting an automatic blind under the window but it doesn't do anything! I haven't spent the night in Dubai yet but it looks very light polluted when you arrive at the ungodly hour of 0400hr..interesting Iran is very light polluted too,always thought it was mainly desert but there's loads of towns down there.

2. george

george Developer

Yea you will probably need to travel into the desert a bit. But Dubai is a very beautiful city otherwise. How long will you be in Dubai?

3. kevan hubbard

5 days,won't get a chance to get out the city my original plan involved and overnight bus trip to Muscat Oman but due to time demands can't tag that on now.it's night in Dubai now,1942 hrs.,and the sky an opaque grey. Can't even see any first magnitude stars but that is through a south facing hotel window! Saw the thin waining crescent moon from Dubai airport at about 0430.

4. george

george Developer

Yea, they basically said we want a New York skyline in the middle of the desert. I wouldn't imagine being in the middle of Dubai and doing any sort of observing.

5. kevan hubbard

Also the red sea coast seems hazy too I've previously been to Bahrain, Qatar and Kuwait and noted this phenomenon too.it must be the hot desert air hitting the sea causing mist and is probably localised to a shortish distance from the coast.

6. bladekeeper

bladekeeper Active Member

Every time I've been to Bahrain and Dahran the humidity was terrible. I would imagine a scope would fog up fairly quickly.

7. kevan hubbard

Is Dhahran Saudi Arabia on the other side of the causeway from Bahrain? Saudi Arabia is a pretty difficult country to visit unless for work purposes although I've read that they are soon to do tourist visas but only for organised groups. I'm guessing that the internal deserts of Saudi Arabia would have great views of the stars.

8. bladekeeper

Yep, the other end of the causeway from Bahrain. And it smells really bad. :D

9. kevan hubbard

My guess being you're, or have been, in the oil industry to get into Saudi Arabia? Of course western doctors and nurses are another big group that get in.they seem to be moderating a bit,the head of the Lebanese Maronite Christians is there now flashing a rather large crucifix.I think they're planning for the future when oil may not be as economically important as it is now?the only astronomy today was naked eye solar of the sun setting from a ferry mid Dubai creek,rather beautiful glitter path over the water.

10. bladekeeper

US military for me, that was all over 20 years ago. :)

11. kevan hubbard

That's another way to see the world!Saudi Arabia has another direct connection with astronomy,that being the kabba in Mecca, the holy of holys. It is believed to be a meteorite that the faithful circle during the hadj but I'm not sure if anyone has seen it?non Muslims are forbidden entry to Mecca although Richard Burton the Victorian explorer not the Welsh actor!is said to have sneeked in dressed as a local.from pictures it looks like the kabba is covered by a veil so even pilgrims cannot see what it is?the theory is it's an iron meteor.

bladekeeper likes this.