Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Twilight I Mount Discussion

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by Ed D, Dec 10, 2017.

Twilight I Mount Discussion

Started by Ed D on Dec 10, 2017 at 2:41 PM

11 Replies 4008 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

On another forum it seems that about a year or two ago the Twilight I mount was highly regarded and recommended. Currently, the opposite is true. Now this mount is being trashed by several individuals, many giving no reasons why.

I bought a Twilight I a few years ago to use with my smaller scopes. I realize it's strengths and limitations, learning how to use it effectively. On this lightweight little mount I use my Vixen A70Lf, Astro Tech AT72ED, Tele Vue TV-85, ES AR102, and 127mm Mak. The TV-85, AR102 and 127mm Mak do push the mount to the limit. It takes experience working with this mount to focus as steadily as possible, and two speed focusers help. The design of the arm does tend to be a weak point and is prone to some movement and vibration if touched. All of my mounts have movement when I touch the scope or bump the tripod. Wind, unless it's blowing hard, doesn't really affect the mount even with the long Vixen refractor. If the wind is blowing that hard even my Dob is going to have movement.

The Twilight I is a great little lightweight mount for smaller, shorter and lighter scopes. It's great for those nights or mornings when I want to observe but don't want to hassle with my larger scopes and GEMs. I think of it as being on par with a heavy duty photo tripod but with slow motion controls.

ADDED: Last night I took out my new Meade 120mm mounted on the CG-4 and wanted to compare it to the AR102 f/6, which I mounted on the Twilight I. Granted, I use a Red Dot Finder and 1.25" diagonal and eyepieces to keep it lighter. Well, I can state it worked perfectly fine. There is a bit of movement when focusing, but that's true of just about any scope.

So, anyone else have a Twilight I (or similar) out there? If so, how do you like it?

Ed D

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. Mmac54

Mmac54 Active Member

I have a SkyWatcher 100 ED Pro mounted on a Twilight 1. It works just fine. In fact it works very well. I'm not taking photographs. I'm strictly visual, other than a cell phone snap from time to time. This Mount is very lightweight, easy to transport, and easy to set up. I can't think of a negative that wouldn't be just unreasonable expectation. And this is no short telescope I have mounted. There is a lot of Leverage there. I balancing the scope carefully and it has been just the ticket.
    I had also read some negative reports about it prior to purchasing one. But when I got this one, right out of the box I wondered what they were talking about.
    I like it. For the right telescope it's a great Travel Mount. That's just my amateur opinion. :)

3. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I agree with you that most of the complaints are likely unreasonable expectations. I recently used the Twilight I with my 127mm Mak to take images of Mars, which came out very nice. The only time I can understand having a rock-solid mount is when doing long exposure DSO imaging.

Ed D

4. bladekeeper

bladekeeper Active Member

I really enjoy my Twilight I. I understand it's limitations. As long as one doesn't overload it, it does a fine job.

Interestingly, I was at a club gathering a few nights ago. A lady and her daughter had an ED152 on a Twilight I mount. As I walked by, I swear I heard the mount say "help me..." :D

It carries my ST80, C80, and Premium 80, and my 90mm Mak wonderfully. My 102/1000 is a bit too long for it, but doable if need be.

It's a great mount in my opinion.

Mmac54 likes this.
  5. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Wow, an ED 152? That is overloading the arm and it is eventually going to fail (crack and snap apart). I tried mounting my new 120mm f/8.3 achro on my Twilight, which I could immediately see was overloading the mount. I used to have a 102/1000 and tried it on the Twilight and agree it was doable, but really pushing it.

Last night I was checking out my Twilight I because I did notice a bit of movement between the altitude drum and the arm, as well as the azimuth drum and the base. I loosened the bolts and took off the drums. Each one has a self-locking nut to hold the pivot point together. I snugged the nuts a little and checked to make sure the motions were smooth without being too tight. Presto, good as new. This falls under normal wear and maintenance.

I also decided to reattach the arm vertically, mainly because I want that little bit of height. The mount doesn't lend itself to observing around zenith when set up like this, but my neck and knees don't like it when I have to bend like Gumby.

Ed D

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Mmac54 and bladekeeper like this.
  6. Mmac54

Mmac54 Active Member

I think they have beafed up that arm. I have seen pics of bladekeepers T1 and the arm has a good deal of empty space in it. The one I recently got for my grandson had a solid arm if I am remembering correctly. Unfortunately it id in NC and I am in Illinois right now so I cannot go check my memory here.
    The SW only weighs abouy 8lbs. So far so good.

7. Kadmus

Kadmus New Member

Wow I just created an account on here specifically to ask about the Twilight 1 Mount. I have an ES80 short tube triplet and Twilight II Mount but am looking for something a bit lighter for GNG.

So all I would ever use on the TWI would be the ES80 you think this would be a good combo? Yet I read else where exactly that it is trashed as shaky and unusable with even an 80mm - sounds like this is not true?

8. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Here you'll find the end-users of such things, and get real accounts and not advertising. We also think-up and try work-arounds for equipment that needs improvement - like a shaky mount. If it is.

That's a nice little telescope! Many of us are fond of the ST80's out there. Far less expensive that your triplet - but surprisingly fun and versatile.

So welcome to A-C! It's good to have you aboard and welcome! Please do make yourself to home!

Dave

ST80 Club T-Shirt a.jpg

9. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Kadmus, welcome to AC. A couple of years ago, on the website I believe we are both referencing, the Twilight I was hailed as a great mount. The thing is, that is a very large website with many, many members. Everyone has differing opinions and experiences. The problem I find with discussions on that website is that there are individuals who are intolerant, those who push their way of doing things on others, etc. I learned a lot there, but I can now see through the BS and don't frequent that website much. I'm primarily active in the imaging and sketching forums, especially when the planets come out to play.

The Twilight I has limitations, to be sure, just as everything else on this earth does. Bladekeeper mentioned an ED 152 on a Twilight I. Well, I mounted my smaller 120mm f/8.3 on mine, which is a large and heavy refractor, and I could clearly see that not only was it unstable, but the mount was so grossly overloaded that I determined the arm would crack sooner than later. Another reason these excellent mounts are trashed is because some people expect a mount to stop moving within nano-seconds or be as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar. I'm into imaging and understand the importance of rock solid mounts. Would you believe that I have used my Twilight I for imaging? Yeah! All scopes are going to exhibit movement to varying degrees when touched or moved, and that varying degree of movement applies to all types of mounts. Yes, some mounts are shakier than others.

The Twilight I is a great little lightweight mount that can handle reasonable loads. It is a very nice mount for grab-and-go when I don't want to mess with anything larger, and by far my most used mount. Always consider not only the weight of the scope, but probably more important is the length. Also, make sure the scope is mounted so it is balanced, not front or rear heavy. My AT72ED is a rear-heavy scope. I use a 7" long dovetail bar so I can mount it further forward, on any mount, and balance it.

The Twilight I should handle your 80mm f/6 OK. When you use the slow motion controls, or use the 1:1 focus knob the scope is going to oscillate a little, but should settle down quickly enough. It's not going to be as rock-steady as the Twilight II, but it's not going to be horrendous.

Contact your vendor of choice and ask about the return policy, just in case you don't like it.

Ed D

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  10. sickfish

sickfish Well-Known Member

Use the ES Twilight with a ST 80 with GSO 2" focuser and it works great.
    Had the AR 102 on it a few times and its ok, a little shakey.
    As long as you don't overload it it's fine.
    I am planning a few mods for it though.

11. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Hello Sickfish and welcome!

Though I notice you joined awhile ago, this is the first you've 'spoken.' There's a trick you could try to help overcome the 'shakey' disposition of the mount/tripod. And it won't cost you a 1¢ to employ.....

Take a strong cord and cut it so as have it about 18" or so. Tie a slip-knot on one end and a heavy weight on the other - I use a 5lbs weight from an old barbell-set But anything will do - within reason. now find somewhere on the mount itself so you can hang your chosen weight suspended from the mount and over & under the accessory-tray.

While this seems counterintuitive on first sight, it serves to direct any shakiness down to the weight and 'dampen' the vibrations. It works on many mounts, so no harm in giving this a try.

Please share your observations with us? That is, if you give this a go.

Thanks for writing!

Dave

12. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I have an AR102 that I use with the Twilight I. Shaking is reasonable and not excessive. Almost all scopes shake when moved or touched to some degree. I use a red dot finder or a green laser pointer instead of the finder scope that came with the AR102, which is a personal preference. This takes a little weight off and helps. I do use a 2" mirror diagonal, the one that came with my Meade R5, which is heavier than my 1.25" diagonals, but works great with my 32mm 70deg eyepiece. Still, the AR102 works on the Twilight I, although it is at the upper weight limit.

I have also thought of using lighter scope rings and shorter dovetail bar to take off more weight. The rings/handle/bar assembly that come with the AR102 is heavy. I had light rings for a 4" scope, but sold them thinking I would never own another 4". :( Surprisingly, that salad bowl sized excuse of a dew shield is very light.

Ed D