Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

The Baader Planetarium Morpheus - Discussion

Discussion in 'Eyepieces, Barlows, and Filters' started by AstronomyConnect, Aug 20, 2015.

The Baader Planetarium Morpheus - Discussion

Started by AstronomyConnect on Aug 20, 2015 at 11:40 AM

53 Replies 18231 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. BillP

BillP Well-Known Member

How's that commercial go....You want it good, or do you want it fast?

2. TheLookingGlass

TheLookingGlass Member

I picked up three Baader Morpheus eyepieces a few months ago.

The 12.5mm, the 9mm and the 6.5mm all at once. I really like the 12.5mm and the 9mm. I didn't like the 6.5mm as much because it showed EOFB and the AFOV felt smaller. However, the actual "quality' of the 6.5mm was excellent.

I am shocked at how good the 12.5mm and the 9mm Morpheus are. Amazing eyepieces IMO! Both of them barlow really well too. I just wish that the 6.5mm was just as good as the other two.

IMHO, Baader has hit a home run with these eyepieces.

3. Eduardo Costa

Eduardo Costa Active Member

Attached Files:

4. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I like my 14mm Morpheus, but my 10mm Delos is a better EP I find. The Morpheus is less than half the price of the Delos though.

5. BillP

BillP Well-Known Member

You can't really compare the two optically given their different focal lengths. Would be more appropriate to compare the 14 Morpheus to the 14 Delos. 9mm Morpheus would be a better competitor to the 10 Delos.

Since eyepieces are tied more to the various human factors in observing there can never be a one best brand (i.e., eye relief, AFOV, exit pupil design/comfort, physical design ergonomics for the particular user, etc.). We should therefore always expect that one brand can be both liked and disliked by various observers. So not unusual to hear some like Morpheus, some don't; some like Delos, some don't; some like XW, some don't.

6. Mak the Night

Yeah, I think I was talking generally. The Delos is beautifully made and I find it ergonomically pleasant to use. The Morpheus is a really nice eyepiece but there were a few little things about it that bugged me. They are the only examples of a Delos and Morpheus that I own. Neither of them get used as much as I'd like lol.

7. BillP

BillP Well-Known Member

Ahh. I agree, generally the TV builds are quite aesthetic, refined, and robust; definitely a top brand in that regard. Pretty to look at and to hold. Like nice furniture. But like any thing, as good as they are in that respect, they have a few points that bug me here and there. But then again, every brand does! I have yet to come across an eyepiece that is what I would consider to be perfect in every regard, from optical to mechanical.

8. Mak the Night

IIRC I originally bought the Delos to replace a borked 10mm Celestron Luminos. At the time everyone seemed to be discussing the Delos and curiosity got the better of me and I invested in the 10mm. A couple of years later I unborked the Luminos when I discovered I could unthread the drawtube/Smyth assembly to reveal the field lens. All it needed was a rocket blower and a brush to remove the visible debris that had appeared. The Luminos has a large cavity just under the field lens and I'm guessing large dust particles entered during the manufacturing process. Successive dewing in use probably made some of these adhere to the field lens. The Luminos series have sometimes been criticised, often to the point of vilification, but in the right scope (not a fast Newtonian) they can be fine.

Yeah, there's no such animal lol. I think if there was ever a contender the 19mm & 24mm TV Panoptics come close for me. They are relatively lightweight, have superb optics, with nice simple rubber eyeguards, and the undercut defect has a tapered lower lip rendering it quite usable. The 19mm has 13mm of eye relief, which for some odd reason I find perfect. I even have a bino pair of the 19mm.

9. BillP

BillP Well-Known Member

I like the 16T5 form factor, but hate the ER. A line small like that but with better ER would be incredible IMO.

10. Mak the Night

The T5 is a bit of an anomaly in that respect, as all of the Naglers of shorter focal lengths have at least 12mm ER. It would make a superb range though, especially for people who prefer 1.25" EP's.

IMG_20150924_130736.jpg

'The 16mm Nagler Type 5 is a scaled down version of the "king of the field," 31mm. The Type-5 16mm is a smaller, lighter (0.45 lbs.), 1¼" only, 6-element design which replaces the 8-element 16mm Nagler Type 2. This exciting little high contrast eyepiece looks like a 19mm Panoptic, but packs the visual impact and sharpness we all expect from the 82° Nagler series. This eyepiece offers owners of 1¼" only scopes the largest possible true field in an 82° apparent field eyepiece. Great for small scopes and Bino Vues.' ~ TeleVue Homepage

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=21&Tab=EP_EN5-16.0

Perhaps someone should drop a hint to Mr Nagler about developing a T5 range lol.

11. BillP

BillP Well-Known Member

Optical ER and usable ER can be two very different things. In the case of many TV eyepieces, they use a strongly concave eye lens. Since optical ER is measured from the center of the top of the eye lens, it means that the actual usable ER can be quite a bit less. In the case of the 16T5, I have to really sink my eye into the eye lens to get the entire FOV. The devil is always in the details.

12. Mak the Night

Yes the T5 can be a bit tiring in that respect. It's a great EP otherwise. You can't have everything lol.

13. BillP

BillP Well-Known Member

While nice form factor, the ER was a show breaker for me, more or less ruining any AFOV advantage, so I sold it after a few months.

14. Mak the Night

I've hung on to mine, it's my only Nagler! I am going to give this ES 14mm a trial when I get the chance, to see how it compares.

IMG_20180311_121709.jpg

In many ways it is quite similar. I haven't really had the chance to give it a good evaluation yet.