Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Baader Hyperion Zoom Mark IV Review - Discussion

Discussion in 'Eyepieces, Barlows, and Filters' started by AstronomyConnect, Jan 22, 2018.

Baader Hyperion Zoom Mark IV Review - Discussion

Started by AstronomyConnect on Jan 22, 2018 at 5:05 PM

8 Replies 4584 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. AstronomyConnect

AstronomyConnect Staff

In 2017, Baader Planetarium released the fourth generation of their Hyperion Universal 8-24mm Zoom eyepiece. This 'Mark IV' incarnation touts the following improvements over the previous Mark III:

• Focal lengths 8, 12, 16, 20 and 24mm have clearly defined and "smoothed-out" Clickstop Action (a must-have for effortless binoviewing)
    • Long eye relief, perfectly matched to the human eye
    • Flat field design — sharp right to the edge of field
    • High Quality Phantom Coating™ Group multicoatings for maximum contrast and minimal reflection, and for improving the views of faint objects
    • A large adjustable rubber eyecup, smaller straight rubber eyecup, and a winged, foldable eyecup to fit over M43 photo/video-thread
    • M43-video-photo thread for afocal and classical projection photography, permitting optional adaptation of practically any camera with optional accessories
    • Includes 2" and 1¼" barrel, usable for all 1¼" binoculars with detachable eye-rest and spotting scopes with 1-⅜" thread (Celestron/Sky-Watcher and others)

The eyepiece comes in an attractive box with a multitude of accessories including a choice of 2" or 1.25" barrels, three different eye guards, multiple top caps, as well as a carry pouch with belt loop. It is quite a versatile eyepiece with various threading options allowing it to be directly connected to cameras and scopes.

Continue Reading Here...

2. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

I have been sharing this report with many people. I am a HUGE advocate of the BHZ. Thanks for an excellent review.

This is my favorite eyepiece.
    • I never expected the zoom eyepiece to become my primary eyepiece, but it has.
    • With the BHZ zoom, the eyepiece seems to disappear as you just move in and out at will, no swapping, no thinking about eyepiece changes
    • The Baader Hyperion is great and comparable to my Explore Scientific eyepieces
    • Watching doubles split as I rotate the barrel is wonderful
    • One filter serves over a wide range of magnifications, no screwing and unscrewing to try other eyepieces
    • Moving smoothly from and between small changes in magnification helps when seeing is not the best
    • I am always working at the optimum magnification for this target.
    • Sharing the view with others is easier, especially in my manual tracking Dob - I hand it over at low mag so it stays in the view longer. They zoom back in to whatever magnification works best for them.
    • My eyepiece case has been greatly simplified
    • Kids love the zoom

Nebula, george and Dave In Vermont like this.
  3. Champollion

Champollion New Member

In the specs I read:
    "AFOV at 24mm 42°"
    If it is not a typing error, it is incredibly poor! Are you sure of that value?
    The mark iii was given at 50°!
    Where is the truth?
    Marc, freiburg, Germany

4. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Hello Marc!

The 'truth' is that all Zooms at 8mm - 24mm have this same thing. It's not a typo, or a mistake - regardless of manufacture. You need to expect this of these. Or consider them really as being 8mm - 20mm Zooms.

I am used to this, and consider the Baader Mark III an excellent Zoom. I also have a Vixen LV 8mm - 24mm. It, too, has a 42° FOV at 24mm. It's also excellent.

5. Champollion

Champollion New Member

Hi Dave, thank you for replying so fast!
    Actually it's okay that the AFOV is less at the long end. What ... disturbs me is that Baader claims 48° (for the type III they claimed 50°!), and it is really only 42° like the cheap stuff by Seben etc.
    (or prhps has Seben even less, who knows? Maybe 30° really?).
    But I begin to be accustomed that specs often are ... optimistic! For example the Hyperion 24mm is claiming a tremendous 68°, but when accurately measured it is only 62.9. here the AFOVs of the last batch of eyepieces I sent for measuring to Walter E Schoen in Munich:

Baader Classic Ortho 18 mm ………………………… 55,3°

Orbinar SWA 12 mm 70° ……………………………… 59,9°

Omegon SWAN 20 mm 70° ………………….……… 69,3°

Baader Hyperion 24 mm Modular EP 68° …..... 62,9°

Planetary - 3,2 mm UWA - 58° ……………...…….. 57,3°

Celestron X-Cel LX 25 mm FMC 60° ……......… 57,6°

Nirvana 7 mm UWA 82° ……………………………. 79,2°

Nirvana 4 mm UWA 82° FMC …………….……… 79,6°

(Actually the Nirvanas sport a very short ER, barely 8-9mm, measured properly).

It is a pity AFOVs of eyepieces are very seldom measured. Especially EPs with those tremendous AVOVs of 85-120° may be ... exaggerated.

As a pedestrian astronom I am always looking for 1.25" lightweight EPs with an AFOV of 60-65°, ER of at least 13-14mm (measured not from the lens, but from the actual support of spectacles, that is often 3 to 5mm LESS than the useless ER given in the specs), up to 25mm and as lighweight as possible, that means no more than 7 oz for a 24-26mm and 4-5 oz for the shorter EPs.

Marc

6. Dave In Vermont

Yeah, and the advertiser's have no clue and write dogfood about it. Usually it's, with the 8 to 24mm's Zooms: 60° to 42° FOV.

Don't ask me why. It just is with the optical configuration.

7. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

I can't answer to what the actual specs are as compared to the advertised specs. I have the older Baader Hyperion Zoom. I have no idea what the specs may be but I presume they are similar to the current model.

Like any tool, you use it for what it is good at and don't try to make it fit into a role that it is not good at. It is a great visual tool, but it is not a wide view tool.

I have 2" eyepieces at 38 mm/70 and 20 mm/82 for my 8" Dob and 32 mm/50 Plossl for my ETX scopes so those are my low power wide view. I am not looking for the zoom to fill that role.

I find I use the zoom mostly in the 18 to 8 mm part of the range but I am fine with the 24 mm part too, whether it is 42 or 45 of 50 degrees. And I do have 82 degree eyepieces too, but the zoom is my go to eyepiece for all targets when I am working at higher mag than my low power wide view eyepieces. It is rare that I feel the need to switch to one of the 82s.

In my XT8, at 24 mm the entire Moon fits in the field of view at 50X with a nice margin around it. The Moon is .5 degrees so I have more than enough FOV. Whether it is 1 degree or .8 degrees, I am not sure. It is more than enough for me.

But if you strictly need something wider then don't get it. We all have our personal preferences and you should follow yours.

Using my Orion XT8 as the example, the idea of choosing between a 12 mm 100X and a 8 mm at 150x no longer sits well with me. I can try the view at 100X, 105X, 110X, 123X, 143X and so forth. I move up and down the mag scale at will to find the best view.

Pop on the 2X barlow and I have 100X to 300X without changing an eyepiece.

When viewing planets I put on the filters and can try them at a wide range of magnifications. I find some filters work better at a little lower mag and some will let me push higher than when I had not filter.

With globular clusters I might zoom in and out to explore different depths of the cluster. I pull back to see the larger view and zoom in to bring up the individual stars and the core.

Splitting doubles without a zoom is not nearly as much fun. I actually watch the double split occur. So I know that I split it and that I am not just looking at two stars that I might not have noticed with the lower power eyepiece.

If you don't value those capabilities as much as a wider AFOV then don't buy a zoom. Fortunately you have the choice.

Actually, lately I am using the removable cell from my GSO barlow which gives me 1.5X. In my XT8 that gives me 75X to 225X which, on most nights covers everything I need above the 60X of my 2". Seeing usually won't let me get above 220X so I am set for the evening. If seeing improves I poop on the 2X and go higher.

If you are addicted to wide view, not a bad thing, then you might consider a zoom as a supplementary tool to fill in the gaps. Or some use them to find the right mag, then switch. When the Celestron zoom was my only zoom, I continued ot build out my single FL eyepieces. When I got the Baader I found I was switching less and less and now I have stopped buying single FL eyepieces.

Naturally, your smileage will vary.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Dave In Vermont likes this.
  8. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

Very few eyepieces will come out to the exact FOV advertised as there are different factors that can detract either a timed or calculated value.
    Some are different than advertised like my Speers-Waler that are supposed to be 82° AFOV.
    My 5-8mm 82° zoom is actually only 77°!

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  9. Dave In Vermont

Thank you, Ed!

The 'Zoom' has been unfairly maligned by folks for years, it seems to me. And sometimes it is fair due to sloppy manufacturing and people with a poor understanding of how to employ them. The most notable characteristic that draws scorn and muttered 'unprintables' - in my experience - has been their rather narrow FOV, 40° - 60.° For this reason it's great to have people such as yourself to shine a light down the tunnel for other's to see their way by.

Keep-up the outreach!

Dave