Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Celestron Star Pointer Pro Unity?

Discussion in 'All Other Observing Equipment' started by Mak the Night, May 18, 2018.

Celestron Star Pointer Pro Unity?

Started by Mak the Night on May 18, 2018 at 5:52 AM

31 Replies 7514 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

Perhaps it is 12v? :)

Dark Site likes this.
  2. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

That's a feature I like about the 9x50, no batteries, no funny games, only the sharpness of the achromatic and a torticollis. :p I have good success with it so far, it's doing the job many DSOs are visible in it..

Dark Site likes this.
  3. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I have these ...

IMG_20180407_171203.jpg

I didn't buy any of them, they all came included with scopes.

Nebula likes this.
  4. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

I used to give those to the nieces and nephews to play with when they were small.
    Personally I really dislike straight through finders. When mounted on Newtonians I like them even less.

Dark Site likes this.
  5. Dark Site

Dark Site Member

Great idea, Gabby! I have a 9y/o grandson who would love the one I have. Time for it to quit collecting dust! :)

6. Mak the Night

The top one came with my 150mm Newtonian, as it is used predominantly for lunar/planetary the straight through is fine. Low maintenance and no batteries!

The second one came with my 127mm Mak, I actually bought an RACI for it, but it gets used on the Mak now as that's really for lunar/planetary and a straight through is all I need.

The third finder came with my Sky-Watcher ST80. I'm still trying to find a use for it lol.

Nebula likes this.
  7. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I had one smaller like your picture with the 3 finder, mine was coming with my 130mm Newtonian (which I sold to finance the new telescope). But I can't tell the difference with my current one which has more aperture now, the new one can probably reveal more faint objects, more DSOs

You still have the 2 size Mak do you see any obvious differences?

8. Mak the Night

There must be some difference with the larger finder. With my 127mm Mak and 150mm Newtonian the targets are usually easy to see with the naked eye anyway. I used to have a 9x50 RACI on my 130mm Newtonian which was a bit easier to find some DSO's with I thought. Although I mainly used one of the TSRADC's on that. When I have the 40mm Plossl in the ST80 it's weird to look in a 9x50 finder and see an image only 1x larger in the eyepiece itself lol.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  9. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I think I saw some people using the ST80 has a finder directly installed over a monster of some sort.

10. Mak the Night

With 2" eyepieces an ST80 is a finderscope!

11. Auriga

Auriga Active Member

I like the StarPointer Pro okay. Over the Telrad it is easier to look through (bigger window, small housing framing it), lighter weight and smaller. The lowest setting is brighter than it should be, but my finder is usually fogged or frosted so the brightness is mitigated. My biggest complaint about the StarPointer Pro is that it flexes and wobbles greatly when aligning it due to a) lack of rigidity in the unit, and b) stiffness of the alignment screws. The latter might be helped with lubrication. Overall, I have found the StarPointer nicer to look through but the Telrad more reliable and accurate. So I tend to use only the Telrad on my bigger scopes, and reach for the Starpointer for the smaller widefield scopes.

The additional mounting options for the StarPointer Pro lends it to some intereting possibilities, like applying a finder foot to the dew shield of refractors (where a 1x finder should be). I have not tried this yet.

Mak the Night and Nebula like this.
  12. Mak the Night

I think that this is a very good point. Overall though, I find that when it is finally aligned it stays more or less true. Which did kind of surprise me.