Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Which eyepatch should I buy?

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Nebula, Jul 14, 2018.

Which eyepatch should I buy?

Started by Nebula on Jul 14, 2018 at 4:29 PM

12 Replies 3890 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Hello fellow friends from AC.

I want to upgrade my current eye patch which is doing an awful job, I have 2 choices from Amazon but I can't made up my mind, both are appealing

First one is very large and should cover my eye very well. But, it doesn't have an interior shell type so I can leave my eye open while using the other one at the eyepiece, I suspect that can be a major problem.

https://www.amazon.ca/eZAKKA-Elasti...UTF8&qid=1531610251&sr=8-7&keywords=eye+patch

Second product has the solid shell in it but the overall size seemssmall, I fear I will see by the sides.

https://www.amazon.ca/Healthcare-Me..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=N6EJJ7GT5X2BS4J42Q1G

Which one looks like the best to you?

2. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

That IS an unpopular thread. :D

3. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

I dunno; that first one looks comically large. Ridiculously large. The second one is also large, and it looks to me like it's plenty big enough to completely cover your eye.

Me, I have a pirate's eyepatch from Halloween. Or, actually, the day after Halloween, when they sell them in a pack of 10 for $2. It's a lot smaller than either of the two you're looking at. If I'm not careful with the positioning, I can sometimes see out the sides.

And that completely ruins it for me. I am so incredibly right-eye dominant, that if I can see anything out of right eye, anything at all, even a sliver, my brain will automatically switch to it, leaving me effectively blind if I'm trying to observe solely out of my left eye with the patch on the right.

So, having said that, I'd go with the comically large one just to be sure.

Nebula likes this.
  4. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

You know. I mean meant, argh. Shiver me timbers, I never though of using an eye patch with me telle. Sounds a great idea. I like the plain black.

jgroub likes this.
  5. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I have an idea to modify my current eye patch by adding some filler fabric around the edge. I like it because it's a cup an my eye can remain open. So I'll try that to block the openings a small sewing project.

Eventually closing 1 eye will give me a headache, the muscles in the forehead, some of these muscled are responsible for migraine I think.

Bottom line, i can't live without the eye patch no more. The observing eye, being less stressed, will perform at a superior level too.

Pleiades likes this.
  6. Auriga

Auriga Active Member

Amen. Eye patch is my #1 observing tool after telescope & eyepiece. I would sooner stand or go without a finder. Folks in Arizona can use a hood but that doesn't fly in VT. Another great benefit is that you can keep just one eye adapted. Use as much light as you want with the other eye while reading maps, surveying the wildlife, viewing planets, etc.

That large patch looks nice - I'll get one. I have the regular tented type, which works for me in darkness but is not a perfect seal. I was just out at dusk looking at Moon, Jupiter, Saturn and the small amount of stray light was distracting.

For viewing with glasses on I have a length of black silk that I tuck into hat/headband above, drape over one eye, then tuck into neck warmer below. If I cinch it right it does a great job. I haven't really gotten it to work without a neck warmer - needs to be held tight against the neck. If you're one of those unfortunate blokes living in a climate that is too warm for scarves on summer nights I guess you could borrow a choker from your wife.

7. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I used my current eyepatch today which I dislike it quite a bit... If you order the large eyepatch, i would be glad to hear about it and if it's effective especially to leave the hidden eye open.

I never tried the hood yet and a bandana around the head/eye seems like a good idea too, I never thought of that.

Thanks for these ideas @Auriga.

8. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I pulled the trigger today on this pair of Eyepatchs, if they are not good, then, it will be a loss of 22CAD.. that's it.

[​IMG]

9. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I have the eyepatch, it's garbage for astronomy .. don't buy it.

10. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

Womp womp.

11. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

The problem it has no cup and the eye needs to be open, not closed.. I will find a solution to modify the new eyepatch and to install some kind of rigid cup perhaps inside of it.

How is still a work in progress... :D

12. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@jgroub

I received my lovely 24mm eyepiece last week, it's truly a little gem, probably a keeper for my entire lifetime at 4.8mm exit pupil. I used it against my 34mm 68d and both have incredible features. They both have the same quality, the 34mm has a much stronger low power WOW! effect but the 24mm is so much easier to use for the same overall quality, they are both equal. :)

Especially when I am tired and I don't want to mess with telescope balancing? now I have the 24mm (less then half the weight of the 34) and it's so much better then my old Xcel LX 25mm, there is not even a competition regarding aberration correction.

[​IMG]

A good move, I thought it was expensive a bit at the beginning but no regrets at the end of the day, it's perfect!

jgroub likes this.
  13. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

I'm glad you like it. Enjoy!