Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

4x4 night in Vega

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Pleiades, Oct 8, 2018.

4x4 night in Vega

Started by Pleiades on Oct 8, 2018 at 7:13 PM

16 Replies 1968 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

First a confession or two:
    • I've never successfully split the double double into 4x4........Till tonight!
    • I've never been able to find M22............ Till tonight!

1. Nights started with a quick view of Saturn to dial in my 6x30 RA Finders scope. Thanks, Saturn
    2. Next, I star hopped over to M22 (Magnificent!)
    A) Best view was with my X-Cel-LX 18mm
    1. Spent some time on Mars
    2. Big leap over to Vega, and the double double.
    A) Started with a 25mm Orion Sirius, and walked down to a 6mm Celestron Omni Plossl.
    (*) With the 6mm the stars were dimming somewhat, but the 4x4 set was crisp and defined.

I've been out a lot recently early in the AM, with binoculars, but getting the scope out has been a difficult task for me recently. So this evening, the sky and my clock cooperated. At 8PM, I set up the Orion SkyQuest XT6, and used my GMC tailgate as a gear tray. I believe I ran through most of my EP's tonight save two anyway. The sky was clear and fairly calm. I little more light pollution than I would like, but hey that's normal. I've been on a nebula kick, for a while this summer, but I can feel a cluster kick coming on. Fun night with my favorite astronomer buddy. (My youngest son at 20 years of age.)

2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I've always found that the transparency dictates at what magnification you need to see all four stars of the Double Double. I think I've done it as low as 125x.

Pleiades likes this.
  3. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

M22 is beautiful probably my favorite globular cluster.pretty sure it'd be naked eye,just,if it was higher for us northern hemisphere lot.its brighter than m13.im going to guess that it is the third brightest globular,after 47 tucana?well second brightest globular if Omega Centauri proves to be the remains of a dwalf Galaxy rather than a globular.

Pleiades likes this.
  4. Pleiades

I'm with you, Kevin. To be honest, I'm guilty of looking at the "globulars" through binoculars as little fuzz balls and moving on without pointing the scope their direction. Wow! I've been missing out. I'll be seeking out globulars for a while.

5. Mak the Night

It's low now.

Screenshot 2018-10-18 at 01.04.30.png

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  6. Pleiades

I know and it's cloudy. I'm hoping it clears up by early morning. I hope to poke around a couple of Orion's nebulous areas.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  7. kevan hubbard

Not many globulars are within the grasp of the naked eye;ome Omega Centauri,47 tucana, probably m22?the rest are borderline,m13,m5,m3,m2,m15 are one's people claim to have seen naked eye.i think that I have just had m13.m5 is quite big so probably possible but M's 3,2 and 15 are too small in my view.forgot m4 that's big, reckon thats possible from the southern hemisphere?

8. Mak the Night

I think M4 (aka Cat's Eye) is near the zenith in the southern hemisphere. It's 1.5° west of Antares. It's low for me (approaching extinction) and I only have a limited window with Antares anyway. In my experience, the brightness of Antares combined with the low altitude can often make M4 difficult to see.

Pleiades likes this.
  9. kevan hubbard

It's low for me too.antares is my second lowest first magnitude star after formalhalt.m4 is visible with an optical aid and diffuse.i seem to recall that there's a few 5.8 to 6.3 mag.ngc globulars in the far southern skies too.i can only recall ever seeing Omega Centauri and 47 tucana naked eye on my trips south of the equator.

Pleiades likes this.
  10. Pleiades

M4 is on my hit list. I have a lot of trees which makes anything in Scorpius difficult, except the claw in summer. In the summer I go to a beach, and camp with a wide-open Southern Sky. This year, it was cloud the whole time. Next year though...

11. Mak the Night

Yeah, not only is it low, it's seasonal.

m4.png

Best time for me is in May or early June.

12. Mak the Night

I believe M4 was the first globular where individual stars were resolved.

m4 cdc.png

13. kevan hubbard

Scorpius has gone now from the night skies over Ireland,it never gets very high at the best of times but you can see m4 using a monocular.ill have to work out how far north you have to get before Antares never clears the horizon.im going to guess somewhere like torshaven, Faroe islands? I've seen it from aviemore halfway up Scotland(halfway not counting the Shetland islands!).I saw 47 tucana naked eye from right near Sydney about 3 years back.i was in the Sydney harbor national Park.sydney city centre is about 4 miles to the west but there's nothing to the east only ocean so its very dark that way.

14. kevan hubbard

Torshaven was a good guess,62.2 degrees north and the cut off for Antares is 63 degrees so technically it rises there but only a tad above the horizon.mind the weather was so vile when I went there, and that was in August!,that you won't see much except cloud, driving rain and the effects of strong wind! basically a sub artic place but very green.amazingly one species of palm tree,trachycarpus fortunei, the windmill palm can survive out doors there! I suspect that the winters are rather like those in Ireland and western Scotland,mild and damp but almost snow and frost free?

15. Mak the Night

Western Scotland, and very probably the western Faroe Islands, are warmed by the Gulf Stream. The west coast of Scotland can have very warm summers and mild winters. The east coast and eastern border counties are a different matter. Winters can be quite bad in the border counties although Northumberland can have very hot summers in my experience.

16. kevan hubbard

The gulf stream and north Atlantic drift are warm currents and even go up right into the artic keeping murmansk ice free year round in Russia at well over 70 degrees north.loggerhead sea turtles have used it to get up as far as greenland.the Antarctic on the other hand only has cold currents and it has a wind that spins around it making places like punta arenas chilly year round.

17. Mak the Night

Plus there's global warming!