Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

moons with moon's.

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by kevan hubbard, Oct 18, 2018.

moons with moon's.

Started by kevan hubbard on Oct 18, 2018 at 9:28 AM

26 Replies 2391 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

The recent news articles about if any moons could have sub moons and what to call them reminds me of lakes within lakes.ie/islands in lakes but the islands themselves have lakes on them.depending on where a pond ends and a lake begins !?I believe that there are a few down central America way?

2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

By mixing cartography with capitalism, I think a pond ends where a body of water has commerce involved, and a lake begins.

Of course my cynicism may be at play here. :p

3. kevan hubbard

And therefore between a mountain and a hill too!just been looking at the moon and I read that it's jagged looking mountains,or are they hills, are quite rounded.

4. Dave In Vermont

Attached Files:

5. kevan hubbard

No examples found yet in the known universe.probaby big Moons obiting gas worlds would be best?they'd have to be at a certain point where the main world wouldn't pull them out of orbit.

6. Dave In Vermont

My guess would be they'd have to be in sort of a sweet-spot to get away with it - as I think you're alluding to - of which we have yet to crunch the numbers for. Like a Goldilocks - Zone for planets that can (possibly) support Human-type life that we're now beginning to find orbiting other stars. It's all in it's infancy.

As we ponder, here's another brief article, this from the people from Live Science (UK):

Moonmoons (Moons That Orbit Other Moons) Could Exist, Scientists Say.pdf

Enjoy!

Dave

7. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

I was just reading about asteroids with moons. When does a meteorite become an asteroid?

8. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I thought a meteorite was a meteor that had hit the Earth.

Then there's this Meteor ...

9. Dave In Vermont

Pleiades: What you could do is draft a good email and send that question to the Minor Planet Center. Their response should prove quite interesting!

Pleiades likes this.
  10. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

People sometimes ask the difference between a hill and a mountain. Answer : We make better shine in the hills.

11. Dave In Vermont

My Granddad on my fathers' side was a Moonshiner in Canada during the Great Depression to help feed the family. I may owe my existence to some Canadian rotgut. We still had a bottle of his 'shine in the Liquor - Cabinet at the family house. It had all this black particulate-matter that slowly dropped out of solution. No one ever dared 'sample' the stuff.

It probably ate through the bottle and vanished over it's own 'event-horizon.' I called it 'Ol' Homocide' from a Three Stooges episode.

12. kevan hubbard

I once went up majuba hill in South Africa.now it's called 'hill'but is 2229 metres high and effectively an out lying peak of the drakensberg.there was a famous battle up there during the first Boer war.in the mist the English forces thought that they where on the summit but,sadly for them,when the mist cleared they found that they where on a false summit and the boers staked out above them,it ended rather badly for the English!

13. Mak the Night

I think my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was in the Boer War.

14. kevan hubbard

Effectively two wars the first and second.the boers are held to have won the first but then the English got their revenge in the second.majuba hill comes from the Zulu,amajuba.its in northern Natal between Newcastle and volksrust.probably get some good southern hemisphere stargazing from its summit although it'd be very cold in winter which is the dry season.

15. Mak the Night

Well, my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was Welsh Infantry, so I'm not sure why he was fighting for the English. He might not have actually been able to speak English as Cymraeg was probably his first language. He possibly joined the wrong army by mistake. Later he joined what's now called the South Welsh Constabulary (Heddlu De Cymru) I believe. Once a copper, always a copper I guess.

He also probably never met Breaker Morant.

Rule 7.7 in metric.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  16. kevan hubbard

Beaker got shot if I recall?there offer to sneek him out of the transvaal to Lorenzo Marques,now maputo,and say he can see the world.breaker replied,"I've seen the world."Welsh is related to Cornish and Brenton mostly closely and more distantly with Irish, Scots Gaelic and Manx.irish Gaelic is taught in schools in ireland.it adds interest to the world but I suppose it's not of much practical use outside of bits of Ireland and Scotland (manx being extinct I've read the last speaker died in 1974).

17. Mak the Night

In many parts of Wales Cymraeg is taught as a first language. Although officially, and in place names, road signs, sign posts etc, both English and Cymraeg are represented. Most ATM machines in Wales give you a choice of either language.

18. kevan hubbard

Welsh is the most spoken of the Celtic languages followed by Breton, Irish and Scots Gaelic in that order.cornish,Manx and cumbric are extinct at a native speaker level.interestingly Welsh is spoken in patigonia,a/ Argentina.scots Gaelic in Newfoundland, canada.perhaps it's use during proabition in the 1920s could throw the RCMP and FBI off the moonshiners path!

19. Mak the Night

I guess Mebyon Kernow won't be inviting you to join them anytime soon then.

20. kevan hubbard

Indeed they are trying to get Cornish back into action!I believe that there are no remaining speakers of said tounge and all are revitalize speakers.breton is very close to Cornish and survives despite the efforts of the government in Paris to get rid of it.there are too few Cornish for them to be a thorn in the side of the London government.cornwall now has a dark skies park,bodmin Moor and it's name is also in Cornish.