Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Quantum Telescopes

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Seer, Nov 9, 2018.

Quantum Telescopes

Started by Seer on Nov 9, 2018 at 12:44 PM

12 Replies 1641 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

What would a real quantum (not the brand or model) telescope look like?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  2. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I would imagine that early on in its development it would be associated with some form of conventional telescope for the purposes of aiming and acquisition. In this case they would be 2 separate things.

3. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

This is a fun thing to think about. Maybe we could imagine it into existence. Its happened before with other things.

4. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Photons are quantum things that we are only beginning to learn about. From what I heard time and distance are unknown to them. We know about quantum entanglement but how well do we understand it?
    I would like to see exoplanets in detail. I would like to see their oceans, continents, and clouds. There are current telescopes being built just to try and see a tiny glimpse of exoplanets as part of the detection process as verification I guess. Look at how far away we get photons from direct sources so now the question is how far away can we get photons from indirect sources (reflected). We can't see them yet but I'm fairly sure that we are getting them. I think that we are probably getting more then just a few photons per exoplanet. So that would be what we would have to work with. Light defuses but it doesn't disappear. What kind of relationships does a photon have with it neighbors? Being they don't know time or distance these relationships should be continual. You don't needed to understand something completely in order to make use of it and things that aren't 100% efficient are still useful. Hopefully mankind will last long enough to have things like quantum telescopes and I hope that its sooner rather then later or never.

5. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Conventional cameras are an extension of our eyes with exposure and persistence of vision being somewhat similar. A fixed field of view records photons as they arrive over time to make an image. I think this is where a quantum telescope would differ although that process could be used as a facet of it. I think that a quantum telescope would propagate (build) the field of view by utilizing the inadequate amount photons received. We know that photons have the ability to share or pass information amongst themselves and to do so at faster then lightspeed.

6. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

How do photons relay colors and shades is it by spin or something else?

7. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

It's by wavelength, which is another way of saying, energy. Light is part of the electromagnetic spectrum, which stretches from long wavelength radio waves at one end to high wavelength gamma rays at the other. While, as we all know, even a short exposure to gamma rays will turn you into The Incredible Hulk ;), exposure to radio waves will never do anything to you, no matter how long you're exposed.

We are all constantly bathed in radio waves from, well, radio and television broadcasts, as well as cell phones. They don't ever do anything to you because they don't have enough energy. It's like a 2 mph wind. You could stand in a 2 mph wind forever, and it would never harm you. Stand in a 200mph wind and things change.

Visible light is part of that spectrum, with the longer wavelength red end of the spectrum eventually giving way to infrared light, which we can detect with sensors as heat. This is why soldiers wear IR sensors to get night vision. At the other end of the visible spectrum, there's violet light, giving way to higher energy ultraviolet light. This light does have enough energy to damage you, in the form of sunburns.

Seer likes this.
  8. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I heard that light acts as a particle and a wave. What about the particle aspect of it? Would that be what is called a photon?

9. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

10. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

So light acts as a particle and a wave. It's a floor wax and a desert toping (for SNL fans). But wait there's more! It tunnels, it slices, it dices, it transcends space and time. It is a doorway to a much more highly advanced future. It is one of our paths to actually getting some of the things of our dreams like quantum telescopes, light sabers, being able to pass through solid objects, and probably much more.

11. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

So who is going to be the first member to use a photo of the Quantum Tunneling Telescope as their avatar?

12. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

Yes, it acts as both . . . and that is where quantum duality comes into play. To understand this better, check out something called "the dual slit experiment". Like many things quantum, this is one of those things that, while I understand, I find it difficult to explain. The dual slit experiment is INSANE! Read someone else's explanation of it and have your mind blown!

And yes, I love that "Shimmer" reference! Mmmm-mmmm!

Seer likes this.
  13. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

All I'm saying is if Star Trek can have its photon torpedoes and Star Wars can have its light sabers why can't I have a quantum telescope. Light can do many amazing things and it looks like we are only just beginning of learning what these are. The future is mired with trepidation and nay sayers but light looks like it has the potential to make many of our dreams come true. So who ya gonna call?