Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Astronomy Hacks

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Seer, Nov 8, 2018.

Astronomy Hacks

Started by Seer on Nov 8, 2018 at 7:51 AM

27 Replies 2792 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
Tags:
  1. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I consider myself fairly new to astronomy but I have discovered several hacks already. I did do a search on this site and didn't find any threads about hacks. It is kind of surprising. I know there must be many more hacks out there then I know of so far and I hope that you will share them as I will try to do. I'm trying to decide whether to just write about them or add photos also. Does this site have any kind of limit as to the number of photos stored or anything?
    For those who might not know a hack is a creatively improvised solution. Usually and easier and/or cheaper way of doing something.

Nebula likes this.
  2. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Blu Tack and Jar Lids Um Um Good!
    Do you need your telescope to focus finer?
    Do you want a two speed focuser?
    Do you want to run with the big boys but don't have the funds to ride your polo pony over to your luxury yacht and then cruise over to your own private island observatory where you use lavish equipment like electronic and two speed focusers. Then increasing the size of your focusing knob might be the thing for you.
    When I first seen this it was in a YouTube video and the guy bolted the jar lid on. I decided to try Blu Tacking it on and it seems to be working out well so far.

3. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

Just FYI, although you just presented an interesting hack, there is literally a book out there called Astronomy Hacks already. Good book - you should pick it up.

4. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I was not aware of that book. I just looked it up. I don't think that it either negates this thread or has a monopoly on astronomy hacks. I did read that we are here to learn from each other.

5. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

If your tripod doesn't have them then add gradation marks yourself.
    Here are 2 of my tripods. They are very similar. The one on the right I added gradations marks to myself using a black permanent marker. I can attest to it adding in quick set up and adjusting.
    Some of you may already know of some of these but to those who don't they're a real help.

Nebula likes this.
  6. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I just noticed another one while looking at the above photo. I use Ziploc snack bags as dust covers for my red dot finders.

7. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

DING! DING! DING!
    Bonus Question Time.

Can anyone identify the jar lid that is used in this photo?
    (Hint: Someone who likes this product from the land down under where women glow and men plunder should be able to)

8. sickfish

sickfish Well-Known Member

vegemite

9. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

CONGRADULATIONS!
    Sickfish you have just won the possible admiration of others and the satisfaction in preforming a job well done :D

10. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I have already mentioned this in another thread but I thought it should go here as well.
    Small handheld digital recorders are great to assist with note taking while observing. With winter coming on I might have to try using lithium batteries in them.
    I do not or have ever used or own a smart phone so I don't know if they have a voice record function on them but if they do that could be used.
    This doesn't fully take the place of written notes and also I can still see the need for making drawings.

11. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Seer you have serious motivation about astronomy. I guess the Lid is a good idea, has well has the graduation. I apply tape on various parts of my telescope to mark the positions, otherwise life is complicated.

My latest hack was to cut my EQ5 tripod legs to lower my telescope bu 5 1/4" Soooo much better.

Seer likes this.
  12. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Not just any size lid will work. Every telescope is different and you soon run into the problem of the lid touching another part. I have been thinking you might be able to add a lever in some way.

13. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

A lever?

14. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Yes a lever. If the diameter of the jar lid would not slow down the focusing to make it fine enough a lever could be added in some way. There is probably more then one way to do it. If you where to just drill holes in the lid then insert a stick like a pencil into the holes and use it as a lever. It would dramatically increase the diameter of the focuser more so then the lid and you could reposition the lever to avoid it from making contact with any other part of the telescope. It would also make a convenient place to keep your pencil for sketching and note taking. Multipurpose and multitasking BOOYAH!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  15. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

hehehe ok I see it now what you mean.

I think the largest wheel could work to get more precision, I never thought of that because I started with a dual speed.. but i tried a regular focuser lately and it was really bad... My friend he tried mine, and ordered one directly from china in the next days, he never received it.

I'll suggest to him the Lid solution (;

Seer likes this.
  16. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

You might want to chuckle after you suggest it. There is a chance he could take offence. I am doing it as a means to an end that I other wise could not achieve.

17. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

He didn't replied anything about the lid solution. But his actual focuser is in such a bad condition I would remove it and throw it in the forest.

(or do the Lid hack lololo)

Seer likes this.
  18. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

But, I have a Hack actually, at the primary mirror side of my telescope, I installed a bath cap to prevent dust from entering and humidity from forming there.

We can see it a bit in this picture bellow.

[​IMG]

Seer likes this.
  19. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

COOL BEANS Nebula. Does the telescope have a fan there? If it does is the shower cap only covering it when its not running?

20. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Here is one that I started doing last summer.
    The old style cloth reusable scrubs caps.
    If you want to wear a hat while observing (and there are several reasons to). This is the best option that I came up with. Brims of any kind get in the way no matter where they are pointed and even wearing a bandanna that big knot gets in the way. Scrub caps easily facilitate a headlamp and/or eyepatch. I can look in my eyepiece with these on or lay back in a beach or zero gravity chair and use my binoculars with no problem at all. I also bought the rest of the scrubs. My plan was to shorten the steps between observing and my bed in either direction. I think that scrubs would make a damn smart astronomy uniform. You could get your astronomy club logo printed on parts of it or sew a patch on. Your astronomy club could have some kind of matching color pattern. I think this would be a very professional look for astronomers. I was giving this some more thought. If your a male you can get scrubs that have a zipper fly. I'm not sure but I don't think scrub come in long sleeve. A long sleeve T-shirt worn under the scrub would look smart and minimize bug bites. A way to close off the pant leg cuffs would be a big help in that regards.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018