Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Today

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Seer, Jan 14, 2019.

Today

Started by Seer on Jan 14, 2019 at 10:03 AM

6 Replies 1854 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Today I went out to sight in my new ORION 6x30 right angle finder scope with my 80mm refractor. As you can see in the photo I forgot my diagonal but I wasn't going to go back in just for that. This is NOT the main mount that I use the telescope on at night which is an EQ mount. This is my CORONADO AZ tripod that I used for ease and speed. In the direction for the 6x30 right angle finder scope it said that it should maintain its zeroed ineeness relatively well after being removed and then reinstalled. It said just fine adjustments should be needed. If I ever get a clear night sky again I'm ready to find out.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  2. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

How is the finder to use, does it seem to have a good FOV?

3. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I actually got it in July of last year and I'm only now getting it ready to use. It says that it has a 7 degree field of view. I was zeroing it in on a telephone pole on a nearby mountain top. There was a heard of deer there and I could see them very well with just the finderscope. What I wonder about is if I'll be able to see and use the crosshairs at night.
    I am still waiting for a clear night to use it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  4. Greg6498

Greg6498 New Member

I was also wondering about keeping the finder scope zeroed. I recently put an ES 8x50 illuminated finder scope on my Skywatcher Dobsonian. It uses the nylon screws and am curious how well it will hold zero!

D1A9E24D-FB4A-468D-B1BE-93235C87669D.jpeg

Seer likes this.
  5. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Greg yours looks to be mounted differently then mine. With mine I'm more worried the dovetailing lining up correctly and being secure then the nylon screws because I did have some trouble with that when I was zeroing it in. Looks like you have an excellent setup.

6. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

Normally the crosshairs are just visible in the dark but if you do need more you can shine a red light across the objective FOV to enhance them.

7. Greg6498

Greg6498 New Member

I actually mounted the base with the slide stop towards the bottom rather than the top. I had another finder scope mounted the traditional way and the screws would work loose allowing the scope to suddenly slide off! This one is rock solid!

Gabby76 likes this.