Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Connect the Stars

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Seer, Jan 2, 2019.

Connect the Stars

Started by Seer on Jan 2, 2019 at 11:05 AM

22 Replies 2816 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Hyades +5 degrees 30 minutes, 153.3 ly
    Mel 111 +4 degrees 35 minutes, 264, 277, 275, 237, 249
    I don't understand the use of the plus sign. Shouldn't it be a greater then sign like this >? A plus sign to me means there could be a negative sign which I don't think could exist in this dimension or universe. While I'm griping, why doesn't my keyboard have a divide by or degree sign key?
    Stellarium did not give a distance for Mell 111 so took some from some of its stars.

2. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Profile of a Sewing Machine Foot Asterism.
    This is a screenshot from Stellarium that I embellished in paint to help show the asterism.
    First discovered M47 myself back on Friday March 24, 2017 with my Bushnell 10x50 Legacy Binoculars. I viewed it again on Wednesday March 29, 2017 with my Oberwerk 15x70 Binoculars on a Monopod and noted that it is nicely visible. From when I first viewed it I thought that it resembled the profile of a sewing machine foot.
    I am still working on trying to view M46.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  3. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I was wondering if calling the asterism something else might help it be more socially acceptable and catch on like calling it a Toboggan or Sled. It would help it with relating to winter. What do you think? Can you think of something else?