Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Blue Moon in Scorpius!

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, May 19, 2019.

Blue Moon in Scorpius!

Started by Orion25 on May 19, 2019 at 3:58 PM

4 Replies 844 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Blue Moon in Scorpius! The third of four full moons in a given season is called a "blue moon", and this one is passing through the constellation of Scorpius, the scorpion, or Nanaboujou, the warrior in Ojibwe skylore.

ASTRONOMY - MOON - FULL BLUE MOON IN SCORPIUS (COMPOSITE) 5-19-19.jpg
    ASTRONOMY - MOON - FULL BLUE MOON IN SCORPIUS (COMPOSITE) 5-19-19 CAPTION.jpg

The moon is illuminating the scorpion's stinger! Watch out!
    Reggie ;)

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Gabby76 likes this.
  2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Great picture Reggie. I've just been looking at the Humbolt crater dramatically highlighted on the limb. It makes the Moon look like the Death Star in Star Wars lol. I can see the 'hare' in the Moon in your picture. The Moon Hare is important in some Celtic mythologies and is probably the origin of the Easter Bunny. Its ears are the Sea of Crises and the head and front paws are the Sea of Tranquillity and the Sea of Fecundity I think.

jjXNzF3.jpg

I had a good Tuesday session last week from twilight to about 23:00 with my 127mm Mak.

gRHprmy.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Orion25 likes this.
  3. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mak. I can see the Death Star and the hare, too. That's interesting about the Moon Hare; you know how much I love sky lore. I'm happy the clouds parted and you were able to get in some good observing. Nice set up in your pic!

Mak the Night likes this.
  4. Mak the Night

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was the Humboldt crater last night doing a 'Death Star' impression. I was looking to see if Petavius was near enough the terminator to highlight the rille, but it wasn't.

humbolt.jpg

This Moon Atlas image doesn't really show how dramatically silhouetted it was but it gives an idea. I've never seen it that distinct before. I think the Moon has a 178 year nutation and libration cycle so it's impossible to see it exactly the same twice. Unless you're a long-lived Vulcan or something lol. It always fascinates me that I almost always see something I've never seen before.

aOWr1Zo.jpg

The set-up in the pictures is my 127mm SkyMax. It actually came with the AZ5 mount/tripod included but I normally use it on the Porta II. It's a bit more grab'n'go like this. I've developed more range and dexterity in my right arm and hand so it is a bit easier to set up and manipulate on the AZ5. I can actually set it up fairly rapidly now but it still has at least a 40 minute cool down.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Orion25 likes this.
  5. Mak the Night

Some more atlas pictures of Humboldt at about 00:30 British Summer Time 20/5/2019

Earth observed view ~

humbolt centre arrow copy.jpg

Overhead 'astronaut' view ~

humbolt globe bisect arrow.jpg

humbolt globe0 arrow.jpg

humbolt globe1.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2019