Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

First shot

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Scopejunkie, May 7, 2019.

First shot

Started by Scopejunkie on May 7, 2019 at 10:15 PM

11 Replies 1142 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Scopejunkie

Scopejunkie Well-Known Member

The seeing conditions were predicted to be poor. They were, plus the fact that the moon was quite low. Yet, I was eager to start my new astronomy adventure in lunar/planetary imaging once the camera arrived. I bought a cheap camera to start the learning process. This was a "check out" photo. The camera and software worked first time out. Hope to have some fun with this new undertaking. Intimidated, you bet! Nervous, nope! I can't wait till Jupiter and Saturn return to the evening skies. By then I should at least have some of the learning processes under my belt.

The web is a great resource. I hope to enjoy this journey as much as I have telescope making.

Attached Files:

Orion25, Gabby76 and squeege3000 like this.
  2. Scopejunkie

Seeing bad again. I feel like someone learning to drive a car. Patience in focusing and capturing are slowly sinking into this old brain. Processing? Ha! This is an adventure "into the jungle." So many knobs, switches, bells, and whistles! None the less, it looks like I was able to get the Cauchy lunar dome pit and a hint of the tiny craterlett just behind the Messier craters tonight. Just lucky I guess o_O Not too bad for a 50 dollar camera from Amazon. Hope to upgrade my equipment in the near future so I can seek to get some of those jaw dropping images others get. Got a lot to learn :confused: and that's part of the fun :)

And now the weather is going to be bad for the next few days. Crap! Just when I was starting to have some fun :mad: May is not normally a wet month here. Looks like I will have some time to study more YouTube planet imaging tutorials as the rain comes down!

Attached Files:

Gabby76 likes this.
  3. Scopejunkie

Thunderstorms this evening. High humidity and 3-4/10 seeing. Hopefully getting better at this. Details seem good but the image seems to be a bit harsh, if that's the proper word. Yes, I'm fishing for advice...

Learning and having fun :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Gabby76 and squeege3000 like this.
  4. squeege3000

squeege3000 Well-Known Member

Excellent image! you are clipping data, washing out with white.. fool around with levels and see if there is any data in the white areas. otherwise, very good!

Scopejunkie likes this.
  5. Scopejunkie

Thanks for the advice. So much to learn. Sure wish the seeing would get better. Tried some other targets tonight. I don't have much experience in image processing so I will be a wet behind the ear newbie for a while.

Attached Files:

Gabby76 and Ed D like this.
  6. Scopejunkie

Seeing 2-3/10. Scattered high clouds. Weather going down the tubes for the next few days again. Not a typical May. Learning the tools. Hopefully getting better. I never expected to have this much fun for a mere 50bucks! Any suggestions on my next step up concerning a planetary camera?

Attached Files:

7. squeege3000

squeege3000 Well-Known Member

Now you're getting it! Great job.

Scopejunkie likes this.
  8. Scopejunkie

Thanks! I've been going over some of my images and have started to practice processing using the different software tools seeking to get a feel of what they can do. This tech is amazing. Looks like I will have plenty of time to practice. The weather will keep me in for a few days :(

Attached Files:

9. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Nice captures, they show a lot of detail.

You asked for suggestions on a planetary camera. I really like my ZWO ASI290MC. It's an inexpensive one-shot-color camera, making captures easier and quicker than mono with separate filters. Processing is also much easier. At the focal ratios/lengths of your C14 and DK Cass this camera will be working near optimum. If you look at Avani's images he also uses the ASI290MC, and his images are superb.

Ed

Scopejunkie likes this.
  10. Scopejunkie

Thanks Ed! I like your camera choice. Avani's shots are amazing. I hope to get to that level of imaging someday. Having fun along the way!

11. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

Great images, keep at it :)

Scopejunkie likes this.
  12. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Great images, Scopejunkie!

Scopejunkie likes this.