Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Finally

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Leonard, Jun 6, 2019.

Finally

Started by Leonard on Jun 6, 2019 at 8:33 AM

5 Replies 1488 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Leonard

Leonard Well-Known Member

Well, at least I got the binoculars out last night.

To be clear, I have had terrible skies for about 2 months. And when they did clear a few times I was busy. As I reported in a previous post I was loosing motivation.

However, and even though I didn’t get a good look last night as it was pretty cloudy, just seeing s few stars, primarily Vega and the double double encouraged me.

Because of last night, I was reminded that observable objects are still in the sky, I am able still to locate them, and most important, I felt the joy and passion of observing. LOL.

Next, a scope out in the night sky.

Lenny.

Scopejunkie and Orion25 like this.
  2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

That's the spirit.

3. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

That's great news, Lenny! ;)

4. stepping beyond

stepping beyond Well-Known Member

Learning to locate guide stars is essential to navigating through the Cosmos , enjoyable times come when you look up Lenny. It's such a great feeling to be at one with the Universe. Kudos

5. Leonard

Leonard Well-Known Member

I’d like to add an update:

I have had 3 observing nights out of the last 4. Jupiter has been very revealing. Even with my 80mm F7.5 Orion ED, I was able to push mag up to 200x. However clearest views were had from 100 to 150x. I was able to observe a moon “blink out” behind the planet the other night with the 80mm. Always a thrill.

The night before last I took out the 8” F6 Orion DOB. Had similar but due to increased aperture brighter views.

All 3 nights after my fill of Jupiter I skimmed the Southeast sky just behind Jupiter. There are several nice nebula and clusters scattered in the area. Interestingly, the 80mm made it easier to skim due to the Vixon Porta Mount’s slow mo controls.

On all, 3 nice nights.

Orion25 and Scopejunkie like this.
  6. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I'm glad you had some nice nights Lenny. I've had some really nice views recently of Jupiter and Saturn with my ED80 and ED72. The f/7.5 80mm is quite a good planetary scope regardless of its small aperture.

1.jpg

I also saw Io transit with my ED72 on 20/6/19 along with the GRS.

2.jpg

Raining here past few days ... my French relatives say they're having a bloody heatwave on the continent. lol

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019