Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Jupiter with Io Transit 07/20/2019

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Ed D, Jul 21, 2019.

Jupiter with Io Transit 07/20/2019

Started by Ed D on Jul 21, 2019 at 8:11 AM

4 Replies 755 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

It's been way too long. Last night I had the 10" Dob out, even though conditions were horrible. Visual was a challenge, and 133x was really pushing it. I spied a shadow transit in progress and decided I wanted to try imaging it.

Only the last of eight attempts was marginally acceptable to try processing. The other seven were trash. Frankly, I didn't think even this one was salvageable. It took A LOT of effort to get this image. The moons were so faint they were not visible. So, I made two separate layers, one of the planet and the other of the moons, and merged them. Looks OK but not overdone, I hope.

Ed

Jupiter 2019 07-20 final.jpg

Subject: Jupiter
    Date: 07/20/2019
    Time: 22:30hr EDT (07/21 02:30 UT)
    Conditions: Horrible, high humidity, cloudy/rain
    Instrument: 254mm f/4.7 Dob
    Focal Ratio: f/4.7
    Camera: ZWO ASI290MC with Baader Neodymium filter
    Capture Area: 1936x1096
    Frames: Single pass across screen, ~800 frames captured
    Software: SharpCap 2.9, PIPP, AutoStakkert!2, RegiStax 6, Photo Studio

Notes:
    - Capture started when entire planet entered view.
    - Capture stopped before starting to go out of view.
    - Single pass capture.
    - Conditions were horrible.
    - Frame rates as low as 9f/s to as high as 14f/s.
    - 30% best frames used, drizzled 1.5x in AS!2
    - RegiStax for Wavelets, RGB Align, RGB Balance, Gamma.
    - Photo Studio for final sizing.
    - Image shows Io transit, Ganymede to right.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    squeege3000 and Scopejunkie like this.
  2. stepping beyond

stepping beyond Well-Known Member

I feel your pain , it's been horrible here in the Carolinas , you've got some nice detail , along with 3 of Jupiters satelites. Jupiter is low this year and doesn't clear the trees in the back until 1130pm when it's on its way down in the west but, I'm trying to get lrgb this year . Sharpcap kept giving me an error on my efw on the 15th , blaming ascom so I failed to gather all the data. Which is a good thing due to shooting it over the house for 10,560 frames of garbage. I was really pushing it with a 5x powermate. Have you used Winjupos for derotation? A buddy uses it and has been pushing me to use it , I've got it downloaded . I just need to remember to have it do what it does. I CALL NIGHTS LIKE THESE PRACTICE ! I tried it with my Z10 years ago and there's just to much to do with only using one arm , I commend you on the Dob challenge Ed .

3. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I don't have Winjupos. Normally I keep my captures under 90 seconds with my color camera, so I don't run into rotation issues. Imaging in LRBG can introduce rotation because of the time involved, even if each channel capture is relatively short.

Ed

4. stepping beyond

stepping beyond Well-Known Member

Thanks Ed , I shoot avi's on ole luna and planets. The capture I posted was only 74fps and that just wasn't good enough @480x640 res. when I normally get 10,000 in 2 minutes on better nights. Winjupos is going to take time to get the hang of , thanks for answering my ? The forecast is for cooler temps in the 80's this coming week , I'll be shooting from the backyard , the only thing the skeeters are vicious in the back due to having a run off from Parkdale mills and Patrick yarns. Keep looking up Ed

5. Scopejunkie

Scopejunkie Well-Known Member

Nice shot! The shadow and cloud details stand out well. I too feel your pain. I have been fighting with "mush" skies too. We get a lot of clear nights here but the seeing is hard to predict despite using three sites that give seeing predictions. I have found their bad seeing predictions to be much more accurate than their good seeing predictions. o_O