Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

First Jupiter

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Scopejunkie, Jun 15, 2019.

First Jupiter

Started by Scopejunkie on Jun 15, 2019 at 11:48 PM

46 Replies 5901 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it, or at least don't remember. There are images of "The Great White Spot" in ALPO Japan: LINK

That's so cool you caught it. Nice job.

Ed

Scopejunkie likes this.
  2. Scopejunkie

Scopejunkie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great link! The map of Jupiter on the 17th shows the spot confirming my shot! Nice!

3. Scopejunkie

I did a capture of Jupiter tonight with the C-14 reduced to 117mm aperture (4.625") @F/33 just for fun. Surprised at the result. I didn't expect to capture Io and Ganymede in the process. Pushed to F/66 and the image held up. And the learning continues...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Orion25 likes this.
  4. Scopejunkie

I shot my first shadow transit tonight in a very soft sky. Seeing was about 3-4/10 Jupiter looked like it was under waves. I'm hoping the seeing will get better when our current heat wave subsides.

Attached Files:

Orion25 and Ed D like this.
  5. Scopejunkie

Tried another reduced aperture capture (F/33) using a twin aperture mask (117mm) seeking to increase resolution at the lower aperture and reduce seeing affects. Slightly interesting result. Full aperture capture was again seeing limited.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Ed D likes this.
  6. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Nice images in your post #25. Aperture masking seems to work for you in dealing with less than ideal conditions.

Ed

Scopejunkie likes this.
  7. Scopejunkie

Thanks Ed D! The seeing finally settled somewhat after 10:00pm local time. Jupiter was behind a big tree when the seeing settled. I captured my best Saturn so far. I'm hoping to get a night where I can go to the limit with this cheap camera before I upgrade. And the adventure continues...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  8. Scopejunkie

Still hacking and pushing the envelope... Another shot of Saturn. Pushed the C14 to F/30 for the capture. Seeing currently better in the late evening. This camera is the best 50bucks I have ever spent on astro gear. I'm a bit surprised and stunned. Hats off to the great software designers.

Attached Files:

Ed D likes this.
  9. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

What camera did you get? I tried looking in other posts but couldn't find anything about it. Just curious.

Ed

Scopejunkie likes this.
  10. Scopejunkie

The camera is a SVBONY SV105. $59.00 (2MP, 30FPS, 1920X1080, 3micron) It's a beginners camera. I only expected so-so images and have been pleasantly surprised as my images are getting better as I learn the camera, software, and various imaging techniques. Currently using Smartcap, Registax 6, and Paint Shop Pro, for my software. Still have a way to go. I think I have most of the basic stuff down. Now I need to learn the "fine" tech. Having fun along the way. :cool:

11. Scopejunkie

The picture of post #28 should have been tagged 12Aug19_1. Old brain "fart." I really hate it when I do that when writing checks! I think I will let the software tag the pics instead of me from now on o_O I just have to "remember" to let it do that :D

12. Scopejunkie

The seeing has not been kind in August. Spent some more time learning the ins and outs of software. Here is a rework of the original posted in post #24. Better?

Attached Files:

13. Scopejunkie

Still in imaging school.[​IMG] Not that the learning ever ends... Seeing conditions about 5-6/10. 200 frames. C14 @ F/30. Looks like I captured hints of Encke division/minima. Hope to get a good night soon before Saturn gets too low. Jupiter is just about done for the year. It hides behind a neighbors large tree when the sky is dark [​IMG] Dang it!

Attached Files:

squeege3000 likes this.
  14. squeege3000

squeege3000 Well-Known Member

Both Jupiter and Saturn are pretty good images. I had the Svbony 105 also, but sold it as a package of scope/mount/laptop and camera. I was also amazed at it's abilities for such an inexpensive camera. I only have short fl telescopes now, and planets haven't been my specialty yet. Hope to do as well as yours when I do!

Scopejunkie likes this.
  15. Scopejunkie

Thanks! I remember the days of Dr. Don Parker and his amazing planet images (for the time) and I wanted to try my hand at imaging the planets. When I decided to "take the plunge" in this new endeavor, one of Celestron's early Neximage cameras (first generation) turned me completely off from planetary imaging years ago when it died electronically in a mere month and didn't produce anything close to Dr. Parker's images before the camera died. As such, I didn't expect much when I bought this cheap camera. I originally purchased it as something to merely play around with. Boy, did I get surprised! It is amazing, to me, how the technology has truly advanced over the years! This old telescope maker got a nice astronomy "rejuvenation" after more than 40 years in this hobby :cool: Again, hats off to the great software designers that make these imaging feats possible. Now, I impatiently wait for a night of really good seeing so I see what this "beginners" camera can really do. :eek: Having fun along the way... :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  16. Scopejunkie

Still learning software. Compare this image to the image in post #14. Same image but tweaked for a bit more detail. I'm still amazed that I can get this much detail out of such an inexpensive camera. Still have a long way to go...

Attached Files:

squeege3000 and Ed D like this.
  17. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Nice job on sharpening the details. Looks very nice. "Still have a long way to go...", but look how far you've come!!!

A few years ago I did a Saturn image that turned out decent. A year later I went back and did a little more tweaking and the difference was very noticeably better.

Ed D

Scopejunkie likes this.
  18. Scopejunkie

Rima Ariadaeus tonight.

Attached Files:

19. Scopejunkie

Plato and the Alpine Valley tonight. I got hints of the twin craters on Plato despite the seeing. No central rille in the Alpine Valley. Oh well. Maybe the seeing will be better next month ;) The seeing was about 4-5/10.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  20. Scopejunkie

Still "messing around" learning processing software. Since the weather has been poop (wind, rain, clouds, snow storms, all of the above) since the beginning of November, I looked at my previous captures with the SV105 from the 5th of November and forgot that I had shot the crater Hadley and its rille. Just sharing :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019