Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Friday the 13th Harvest Moon!

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, Sep 14, 2019.

Friday the 13th Harvest Moon!

Started by Orion25 on Sep 14, 2019 at 2:46 PM

13 Replies 2017 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Ed D, squeege3000 and Scopejunkie like this.
  2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Looks great Reggie. Unfortunately I can't seem to run the video in Safari 12.1.2 .

Orion25 likes this.
  3. Scopejunkie

Scopejunkie Well-Known Member

Astro Cool! :cool::cool::cool:

Orion25 likes this.
  4. Orion25

I wonder if you can't run it because this is a Facebook post instead of You Tube? I'll probably post this on You Tube in a few days. Did you get to gaze at the Friday the 13th Harvest Moon?

5. Orion25

Thanks, Scopejunkie!

6. Orion25

Hey, Mak, try this one:

Mak the Night likes this.
  7. Mak the Night

Oh yeah, I didn't realise, I'm allergic to Facebook lol. I did get to see the Moon a bit. It's gone a bit cloudy here though of late.

8. Mak the Night

Oh yeah, way cool. Love the soundtrack. There have been some beautiful clear skies here ... all in daytime. As soon as it gets dark it's cloud city. It's driving me bonkers! I've had to resort to some astro retail therapy lol.

9. Orion25

Thanks, Mak. We need to somehow move those clouds into the daytime, ugh! Astro retail therapy, lol!

10. Mak the Night

Definitely. My stupid BBC Weather app reckons it's cloudy now. I've been observing a clear Moon with the 90mm Mak for half an hour!

So ... might be looking better for later in the week.

Orion25 likes this.
  11. Orion25

Great!

12. Mak the Night

Had a really good night with the ED72 Thursday, easily split the Double Double even at low magnifications, Ring Nebula was good and got a sharp 157.5x on the Moon. The dew was bad (I kept thinking it had rained lol) but I had dew heaters.

Friday looked promising, it was unnaturally warm (thanks global warming) and dry with absolutely no dew even at 2am. Seeing was awful and the transparency was a bit pants. Couldn't split the Double Double into four stars, Ring Nebula had disappeared and I got barely 70x on the Moon. I split Almach though.

You win some, you lose some, right? lol

Orion25 likes this.
  13. Orion25

True, so true. One night can be absolutely amazing and the next positively awful. I had a great couple of nights (Thursday and Friday). Low humidity and nice cool temperatures, good transparency and seeing (woohoo!) I split the double double, bought a Ring, reeled in a few globs (M13, M49, M22, M28), had fun on the Lagoon (with Trifid, too), culled a bit of nebulosity from the Omega and Eagle (with my ultra-cool Celestron O-III filter), and saw a Butterfly (cluster) and even Ptolemy ('s cluster), all on Thursday. Friday, A friend and I drove to the big observatory just up the road, stood in the parking lot and just ogled the stars; we didn't even go into the dome. We were surprised by a couple of stray meteors. I live for nights like these :)

Mak the Night likes this.
  14. Mak the Night

On Tuesday I took a chance and had a lunar session with my 150mm Newtonian (my avatar pic). I only expected to get around 150~180x max if I was lucky, instead I got a superbly sharp 300x. I also expected it to cloud over at any time. I found the tiny blue dot of Uranus (it was near the Moon) and waited for M42, which was low, but really good up to 112.5x (Celestron zoom). It was such a pleasant night, litres of dew though lol. The finder went opaque eventually but Newt's don't really dew. As the EQ5 isn't in the best position for anything out of the plane of the ecliptic I spent a lot of time sitting in the dark just looking up. It's very quiet where I live in the country. It was such a nice and totally unexpected night. I literally went out on a whim. It never clouded over either. I even saw a couple of meteors. I recall thinking something like it's nights like these I live for.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Orion25 likes this.