Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

First Attempt at the Sirius "Pup"

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, Dec 6, 2019.

First Attempt at the Sirius "Pup"

Started by Orion25 on Dec 6, 2019 at 8:15 PM

27 Replies 5540 Views 5 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Orion25 likes this.
  2. Mak the Night

The Takahashi arrived today.

tak2.jpg

The dust caps are mine. It came without any.

tak1.jpg

I have read reviews stating that the housing is plastic. I'm pretty sure it isn't and is a very light metal alloy. I'm not so sure about the base plate, but I'm fairly convinced it is also metal. There is no filter thread in the nosepiece.

badtak.jpg

As a practice run I had a shoot-out with these and a Baader Zeiss Amici on a bright twilight Venus.

badtak2.jpg

Apart from the mirror-reversed image on the conventional prisms I couldn't tell any real difference. There was no hint of a diffraction spike with the Amici. I used a Baader Double Polarising filter for Venus. I could put it into the nosepiece on the Baader diagonals but threaded it into the eyepiece for the Takahashi.

tak b.jpg

The Tak' has no helical focuser, so is probably more likely going to be used with my refractors.

tak c.jpg

Some have complained about the Tak's plastic collet snagging undercuts. I tried a variety of small eyepieces, including a 15mm Masuyama clone, 10mm and 35mm Baader Eudiascopics, 8mm, 15mm and 32mm Tele Vue Plossls without incident. I can't choose a real winner. The Takahashi gave a bright, sharp image as did the Baader Zeiss Amici. The Baader bog-standard wasn't really any different and had the advantage over the Tak' of having a helical focuser. The Takahashi and standard Baader diagonals are about the same price. If I get a chance at Sirius B with the 127mm Mak I'll take both Baader diagonals just in case. The helical really does make the difference. However, the Takahashi is a lovely light little quality diagonal. So they're all keepers.

Ed D and Orion25 like this.
  3. Mak the Night

Oh yeah, I forgot, I also got a butcher's at Saturn.

conjunction.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Ed D likes this.
  4. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Great report, Mak. Thanks for such a thorough comparison. It'll be interesting to hear about your experience with Sirius B :)

Mak the Night likes this.
  5. Mak the Night

Well, the way the weather's going, I doubt it will be anytime soon. It might be easier around February as Orion is well placed earlier in the evening when the weather is sometimes a bit milder. At 02:00 everything's iced over here. I got out late February this year (on my birthday) at around 19:00 and saw Orion and the Winter Albireo. So I may have to wait until then. Depends whether global warming is working for me or not lol.

6. Mak the Night

Baader with 7.5mm extension tube.

tGu4plJ.jpg

Orion25 likes this.
  7. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

I never considered a focusing eyepiece holder. It really makes a significant difference?

8. Mak the Night

On a single speed focuser it does. I've been using one on my Newtonians (T-2 focuser threaded onto the T-thread) for years. The trade off for a fine focus ability is slightly less in-focus. The Baader T-2 diagonal I reviewed comes supplied with a nosepiece and helical. Although the Baader-Zeiss Amici doesn't come supplied with anything. I used a William Optics Amici with a helical for a few years on the Mak's for lunar observing. I prefer an upside-down Moon, but mirror-reversed does my head in lol.

Cfklcn7.jpg
    New and old WO Amici diagonals.