Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Skywatcher GOTO-C14 Conversion

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by Scopejunkie, Oct 5, 2019.

Skywatcher GOTO-C14 Conversion

Started by Scopejunkie on Oct 5, 2019 at 5:53 PM

7 Replies 2252 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Scopejunkie

Scopejunkie Well-Known Member

Po' Boy CPC C14 o_O

Attached Files:

squeege3000 likes this.
  2. Scopejunkie

I thickened the ground board to 1.5" for greater stability (gorilla glue and screws). Finished detailing the MOD components. CPC14 completed. The old guy is still hacking...

Attached Files:

squeege3000 likes this.
  3. squeege3000

squeege3000 Well-Known Member

What a project to be immersed in. Mine are usually dobsonians, and have also built tripod for a 6" nexstar SCT. l love your custom finderscope, looks like a barrel from 12 x 70 binoculars.

Scopejunkie likes this.
  4. Scopejunkie

Good eye! The finder is a 70mm Orion Multi-Use finder scope. Some of my projects are birthed out of frustration. As I have shared elsewhere: "When I went looking for digital setting circles for my old school C14 fork mount I had a bad case of sticker shock when I ran into prices as high as $1600.00 just to add DSC's to this old school fork mount. This price shock brought me to the idea that I could purchase a used GOTO dob for way less money and, with successful modification, have DSC's, full GOTO, and computer control! All I had to do was come up with a way to convert one of these mounts for use with my C14 OTA."

Attached Files:

5. Scopejunkie

More tweaks. Added internal rear braces to aid focusing (minor vibration) during high magnification lunar/planetary photography. Notable improvement in visible high power focusing/observing (500x). Hope to test on the next lunation.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  6. Scopejunkie

I made a sub-aperture mask for my C14 with interchangeable apertures. The two main sub-apertures are 4.625” unobstructed. Either aperture of the mask can be blanked off for different visual experiments. I have some crazy ideas bouncing around in my head that I would like to try out. As an example, I’m looking forward to having a good hard “look” at how much of a “real” difference an obstruction makes for visual observing versus unobstructed, math equations, and computer simulations (contrast). I have extra blanks for future experiments and also a blank for a solar filter should the sun get active again. Still messin’ around…

Attached Files:

Orion25 likes this.
  7. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

That's some quality work. Can't wait to hear the results of your experiments!

Regards,
    Reggie ;)

Scopejunkie likes this.
  8. Scopejunkie

I finished more apertures for my visual experiments. My tests are similar to Robert E. Cox’s visual diffraction effects shown in the September 1960 issue of Sky & Telescope, Gleanings for ATM’s, pg.166. I will run similar obstruction/diffraction tests but my real purpose for all of this is a bit different. I will keep those purposes under my hat for now. ;) This could be a total waste of time but it is an old itch I have to scratch :D

Attached Files: