Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Venus Dichotomy, The Moon & BV's

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Mak the Night, Mar 28, 2020.

Venus Dichotomy, The Moon & BV's

Started by Mak the Night on Mar 28, 2020 at 10:21 AM

4 Replies 2063 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Hello, and first off how is everyone faring in the zombie apocalypse current situation? I hope everyone is well. I’ve been out for five nights in a row, which is bloody unusual for March where I live. I went out yesterday in the early evening to catch Venus and the Moon. At 18:00 GMT I was set-up and the scope was cooling nicely. It was still daylight and the wafted smell of barbecued food was emanating from somewhere or other.

GfQhLsI.jpg

Venus was (more or less) at dichotomy and I was banking on the lunar terminator to show the Sea of Crises and the Petavius Rille well.

ZuJnOY1.jpg

I decided to use the 127mm Sky-Watcher SkyMax and my William Optics binoviewer. The WO BV’s may not be the best in the world but I like them.

QKqI3CM.jpg

They’re often referred to as ‘gateway’ bino’s as owning them leads to buying more expensive units apparently lol.

wPlbOaG.jpg

I only used the 20mm WO SWAN’s and 15mm SuperViews combined with a WO 1.6x GPC. These gave about 123x and 164x respectively.

Wkp69Gh.jpg

It took me a while to position myself well as I like to sit immediately behind the OTA. Eventually I could see the Moon but it took me a few moments to locate Venus.

aq4Hc6b.jpg

Venus looked good at both magnifications although I preferred it at 123x as it was more defined and moved less quickly on an alt-az. I thought there was a hint of cloud detail near the equator but it was very faint and I could have imagined it. There was still daylight enough for the glare not to be a problem and I also had a single polarising filter threaded into the GPC. As it got darker I removed the polarising filter and switched to viewing the Moon.

YymkyPX.jpg

First thing I looked for was the Petavius Rille and I wasn’t disappointed. Conditions were still decent regardless of the fact that the Moon was setting. Inevitably I replaced the SWAN’s again for the SuperViews and 164x. The SuperViews aren’t expensive eyepieces but they’re easy to merge and are lightweight on the bino unit. There are often varying FOV’s claimed for them, although that’s a bit irrelevant for my bino’s as they can only give 66° anyway (I believe the SWAN’s are actually 72°). I could see a lot of detail and some of the larger craters in the Sea of Crises including in the Dorsum Termier region. The 'Wrinkly Ridge' was magnificently awesome. The large crater Endymion was particularly impressive at both magnifications and I could see a fair bit of detail in the crater wall itself.

mqMRmR2.jpg

As the Moon got lower I could detect a slight ‘boiling’ of the image and a bit of a breeze was occasionally rocking the scope slightly. So, after having a quick butcher’s hook at M42 I called it a night. I’d been out observing five nights in a row, which is pretty good for late March.

Simulated images by courtesy of SkySafari 6 Pro & Moon Atlas

2. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Great report, Mak. I'm glad you were able to get in some quality observing time :)

Mak the Night likes this.
  3. Mak the Night

Thanks, I do enjoy getting the bino's out with the 127mm Mak occasionally. The Moon looks great in stereo lol.

4. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

This is an older thread, but I thought I would revive it. I also have a William Optics binoviewer that I have owned for many years. I never considered them a gateway. I always felt they were superb instruments for observing solar system objects. They are sharp and bright, very well made. The moon has always been way too bright for me to observe mono, even in a small 60mm scope. With the binoviewer I can comfortably observe the moon, even through my 10" Dob, and not feel like I got an ice pick in my eye. The only other way I can observe the bright moon is by having the lights on in my back yard.

When the bright planets appear, obsrving them through the binoviewer reveal so much more detail compared to mono. I know it's not true binocular viewing, but when the eyes are more comfortable I can observe greater detail. Another plus is that using two eyes the brain combines the 'good' information and 'blocks' the bad information, such as eye floaters.

One big plus that the William Optics binoviewer has for me is the lighter weight. The binoviewers with the large field stops may be great for large vistas of the deep sky, but the correspondingly larger prisms roughly double the weight. No thank you.

For solar system observing the William Optics binoviewers are excellent, especially for the price.

Ed D

5. Mak the Night

They're a lot more expensive than when I bought mine Ed lol!

kB16riS.jpeg

I'm pretty sure they are made by KUO. I'm definitely going to try to get mine out this year.

bEj6vvd.jpeg

I caught the dichotomy this year.

q3NLmGq.jpeg

It was early but I saw it with my 90mm Orion Mak.

MjV8MmEl.jpeg

Alas not with the bino's though.

xWguT2X.jpeg

Ed D likes this.